Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4039 [28]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.83
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: For nearly twenty years, the Mubarak government turned a [#permalink]
I felt it was clearly option A - all the other options had a small error at this part --> "as thousands of poor Sudanese refugees have/had built homes "

As you can clearly see, we need the simple past tense form in the above section & only option A gives it.
Hope it helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
emmak wrote:
For nearly twenty years, the Mubarak government turned a blind eye as thousands of poor Sudanese refugees built homes without permission on private parcels of land in places like Aribar we Noz, greasing the palms of government officials for basic services.
A)nearly twenty years, the Mubarak government turned a blind eye as thousands of poor Sudanese refugees built homes without permission on private parcels of land in places like Aribar we Noz, greasing
B)nearly twenty years, the Mubarak government turned a blind eye as thousands of poor Sudanese refugees have built homes without permission on private parcels of land in places such as Aribar we Noz and greased
C)nearly twenty years, the Mubarak government has turned a blind eye as thousands of poor Sudanese refugees have built homes, without permission, on private parcels of land in places, such as Aribar we Noz, that greased
D)twenty years, nearly, the Mubarak government turned a blind eye as thousands of poor Sudanese refugees have built homes, without permission, on private parcels of land in places like Aribar we Noz, greasing
E)nearly twenty years, the Mubarak government turned a blind eye as thousands of poor Sudanese refugees had built homes, without permission, on private parcels of land in places such as Aribar we Noz and greased

On the 1st look , the splits are based on the ,-ing modifier.

The 1st option looks correct at the -ing modifier is correctly modifying the clause before it.

Options B-E have tense issues. Perfect tenses are not required as used in those options as their is no time sequence relationship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
but in A the meaning is not clear what is greasing modifying?? the mubarak government or the entire clause either ways it doesn't make sense
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Why is the tense wrong in E??

what indicates that simple past is necessary here?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja,

I have a query for this one. Among all the choices, A seems correct but what is the role of -ing modifier in the end.

Doesn't the phrase 'greasing' refer back to the subject M government?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
warriorguy wrote:
Hello GMATNinja,

I have a query for this one. Among all the choices, A seems correct but what is the role of -ing modifier in the end.

I think the confusing thing about this question is that it's not totally clear who is doing the palm-greasing. And that's just a flaw in the question, unfortunately. (And most of you have seen my disclaimer: GMAC spends between $1500 and $3000 developing every official question, and it's ridiculous to think that even the best test-prep companies could possibly write anything of similar quality.)

In theory, though, the "-ing" modifier ("greasing the palms of government officials for basic services") could modify the entire preceding clause. It's just not clear whether the sentence is trying to say that "the Mubarak government turned a blind eye... greasing the palms of government officials" or whether it's trying to say that "Sudanese refugees built homes without permission... greasing the palms of government officials..." Neither of those makes perfect sense to me, because I'm not sure how, exactly, the officials ended up with greased palms from a bunch of poor refugees.

But from a grammatical perspective, the "-ing" modifier could, in principle, modify either of those clauses without any trouble.

And please don't lose sleep over the exact meaning of this particular question, since it leaves some room for debate, and you'd never see that on an official question.

I hope this helps!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
warriorguy wrote:
Hello GMATNinja,

I think the confusing thing about this question is that it's not totally clear who is doing the palm-greasing. And that's just a flaw in the question, unfortunately. (And most of you have seen my disclaimer: GMAC spends between $1500 and $3000 developing every official question, and it's ridiculous to think that even the best test-prep companies could possibly write anything of similar quality.)

In theory, though, the "-ing" modifier ("greasing the palms of government officials for basic services") could modify the entire preceding clause. It's just not clear whether the sentence is trying to say that "the Mubarak government turned a blind eye... greasing the palms of government officials" or whether it's trying to say that "Sudanese refugees built homes without permission... greasing the palms of government officials..." Neither of those makes perfect sense to me, because I'm not sure how, exactly, the officials ended up with greased palms from a bunch of poor refugees.

But from a grammatical perspective, the "-ing" modifier could, in principle, modify either of those clauses without any trouble.

And please don't lose sleep over the exact meaning of this particular question, since it leaves some room for debate, and you'd never see that on an official question.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply GMATNinja.

The question was in reference to an article by e-gmat, if I recollect correctly, wherein it was mentioned that the -ing after the comma modifies the entire preceding clause but refers back to the subject.

e.g. used --> John became the CEO of a company, increasing his pay.

the -ing clause after the comma provides extra information but refers back to the subject John. So it was not John who increased his pay but the event or his new job or HR ( :roll: ) did that.

But I found an OG question:

Employing many different techniques throughout his career, Michelangelo produced a great variety of art works, including paintings, for example, in the Sistine Chapel, to sculpture, for example, the statue of David.

(A) including paintings, for example, in the Sistine Chapel, to sculpture, for example,
(B) including paintings, for example, in the Sistine Chapel, to sculpture, like
(C) including paintings, such as those in the Sistine Chapel, and sculpture, as
(D) ranging from paintings, such as those in the Sistine Chapel, to sculpture, such as
(E) ranging from paintings, such as in the Sistine Chapel, and sculpture, such as

OA=D, so here ideally ranging should refer back to Michelangelo but that meaning would be absurd.

So should we disregard the rule that -ing after a comma should refer back to the subject as doer of the action.

Note: there was an exception mentioned to this rule but is not applicable in this case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
warriorguy wrote:
Hello GMATNinja,

I hope this helps!

Hi
Please correct me if I'm wrong - the "as" in the sentence is used to connect two clauses and the -ing (greasing in this case) will refer to the subject of the second clause which is thousands of poor refugees
Am I mistaken?

GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma other experts - please enlighten

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts