Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For people who are confused about the usage of infinity and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 47

For people who are confused about the usage of infinity and [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 10:46
For people who are confused about the usage of infinity and gerund.

Here is some rule i have gathered aftr long hours of looking into other posts and google.

Gerunds are used in places where we have to describe actions that are realistic, completed and facts, definitions

Infinitives are used to describe actions that are unreal , abstract and futuristic.

Any additional info on these ?? Need it badly.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: Q V
GRE 1: 1600 Q800 V800
GRE 2: 1600 Q800 V800
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 2

Re: Gerund vs infinitive [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 15:43
What makes you think that this is an important topic for you?

I ask because I suspect that a thorough understanding of this topic would avail you very little on the GMAT. If you have a choice between a gerund and infinitive, you very likely have an idiom question (I suspect that you already know this). The best way for you to improve on idiom questions is to get sufficient exposure to correct idioms that they sound natural or familiar, while incorrect idioms sound unfamiliar. For this reason, I advise students using the MGMAT idiom list--or a similar lost from another source--to focus on what we label as the CORRECT usages, and for the most part to ignore the SUSPECT or WRONG usages. You don't want to recognize the WRONG answer as wrong, you want to find it strange.

There are a number of excellent sources on verb form idioms (that's the topic you're asking about), and if you Google "verb form idiom" you'll find the first four links pertinent to your question, but very little help for the GMAT. If you Google "gerund infinitive" you'll find the first five pertinent to your question, but very little help for the GMAT.

Trouble is, a deep answer to your question quickly takes you far from GMAT concerns.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 47

Re: Gerund vs infinitive [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 23:01
Hey thanx for the insight. Yep you are right. Just realized that most of the confusions finally leads to idiom. And yea i went through MGMAT idiom list once. But got so confused with the CORRECT, SUSPECT and WRONG. So thought i ll have the idioms for a later time.
I guess its time for me to focus them. And yep reading the CORRECT use alone will make a lot of sense. Thanx for the insight. :):)

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Re: Gerund vs infinitive   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2011, 23:01