Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For Quant - which topics did you see most on your exam?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

For Quant - which topics did you see most on your exam? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:39
Just a question for anyone that has already taken the GMAT..... :)

Without getting into the specifics, in the Quant section, is there one area that you saw more tested than others? As an example, did you see more geometry than workrate problems? Did you see more exponent questions and very few inequalities questions?

I'm at a very low quant figure now and am only shooting for a Q30. I am wondering which area I should focus on during my prep... I know all areas (like the 5 mgmat guides: FDP's, Geometry, etc etc) are tested on the exam but which is the most prevalent? In other words, which topics are the MOST commonly tested and appear the most on the exam from your experience?

Thanks for the advice gang!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 23

Re: For Quant - which topics did you see most on your exam? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
I'd say on my test there were a bunch of geometry questions. Seemed to be a bunch of exponent questions too. The MGMAT Number Properties book is a good thing to go through again a few days before the test to freshen up on those types of questions. There was maybe 1 or 2 probability questions. No combinatorics or permutations at all.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: For Quant - which topics did you see most on your exam? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 14:37
This post received
KUDOS
i don't remember what was on it, but i do remember one topic that was conspicuous by its absence: permutations and combinations. i'm glad too, since that was one of my weakest areas in quant

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 12

Re: For Quant - which topics did you see most on your exam? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 15:24
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
i don't remember what was on it, but i do remember one topic that was conspicuous by its absence: permutations and combinations. i'm glad too, since that was one of my weakest areas in quant

I second that. Not a question on my quant section on that, I had one discrete probability question though

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

Re: For Quant - which topics did you see most on your exam? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 20:58
+1 kudos to all. I appreciate the feedback. I just took my 2nd practice exam ( details on my progress tracking thread taking-the-exam-on-april-10-how-to-fast-track-quant-progress-90808.html#p695899 ... I got a Q30, V33 which is a 520 according to Kaplan Premier 2009's online exam. I will be comfortable as long as I can get back-to-back Q scores over 35 on my practice CATs...

I had a horrendous Q score on my 1st practice exam and within a week, I have managed to bring it up a little. I'm working on Quant for about 75% of my time before my exam on April 10th. The other 25% goes to verbal which has always been my strength since I read and write a lot.

I plan on going through the MGMAT guides (FDP and Number properties) again tomorrow. Repetition is really working for me on the material. More and more is sticking as I go through it :D
Re: For Quant - which topics did you see most on your exam?   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2010, 20:58