Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 133

Reviews Badge
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 16:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (02:30) correct 76% (01:56) wrong based on 315 sessions
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal over a century before the contemporary American environmental movement was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.

launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

1. Please, explain your reasoning.
2. Is it proper to say "a movement was launched" in the absence of a subject/noun/person or still use "a movement launched"?

Source:Veritas quiz bank
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by stoy4o on 28 Nov 2012, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 32

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 00:35
I dont think you copied the question right the underlined portion is completely different from answer choice A!

Can you please re-post. Thanks .

Cheers
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 01:25
Good catch, Jp27. I was just making sure people read carefully (just kidding :P)

It is corrected now. tx.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 01:46
stoy4o wrote:
Good catch, Jp27. I was just making sure people read carefully (just kidding :P)

It is corrected now. tx.

hey thanks for re-posting.
Are you sure answer is C?

Shouldn't it be A?

Cheers
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 02:52
Below is the OE
The correct response is (C).

[Reveal] Spoiler:
This is a complex, wordy sentence. There aren’t any grammatical errors in the original, but there is significant grammatical inefficiency, and it is somewhat awkward to use the participle “arguing” after the past-tense “outlined.” (C) is preferable because it uses the same words more efficiently, employing a semicolon to clearly split the clauses.

If you chose (A), though the original is not grammatically incorrect, take the time to scan the other four choices for a more concise, clear version.

If you chose (B), the lack of a pronoun before “outlined” implies that it was the American environmental movement which “outlined his beliefs” when in fact it was Emerson himself.

If you chose (D), the American environmental movement did not launch Rachel Carson’s book. Rather, the book helped to launch the movement.

If you chose (E), the pronoun “it” seems to refer to Silent Spring, but that is not Emerson’s work.

Back to my question, do you (or anyone else) happen to know if is proper to say "a movement was launched" in the absence of a subject/person initiating the action or still use "a movement launched"?

tx
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 03:47
the "which" is C is definitely weird. A is still better I will request veritas folks to look into this questions.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 07:02
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal over a century before the contemporary American environmental movement was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. arguing here is incorrect - what does it modify? essay cannot argue. Neither does it modify the whole clause properly

launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers. movement launched itself??? incorrect

launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. Seems like the best choice - which argued works better. Although I agree launched vs. was launched is questionable But nonetheless launched works here.

launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. same problem as A. Modifier error

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers. it is ambiguous - what is it? movement, essay ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 07:22
nanishora wrote:

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. arguing here is incorrect - what does it modify? essay cannot argue. Neither does it modify the whole clause properly

launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers. movement launched itself??? incorrect

launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. Seems like the best choice - which argued works better. Although I agree launched vs. was launched is questionable But nonetheless launched works here.

launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. same problem as A. Modifier error

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers. it is ambiguous - what is it? movement, essay ?

the which in C seems to refer to "Nature" a essay, so my question is how can a essay argue anything, a person can make an argument through an essay.
In option A "arguing ..... " is used as an adverbial modifier modifying the preceding clause.
For example ->
I wrote on book on genetic, arguing that human cloning is possible.
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 147

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 10:13
Hi JP,

I don't understand why an essay can't argue something? I would happily say that (for example) my previous post on the forum argued that Answer B was correct. That seems good English to me.

I don't understand what you mean by adverbial modifier modifying the preceding clause. That sort of grammar is too confusing for me, but essentially in A the final clause needs to be clear It is trying to explain what the thinking was in the article 'nature' arguing is a confusing way of saying that (I would actually go further than the OE - I think it's worse than just inefficient)

Happy to debate further, this is an interesting one :-)

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1186

Kudos [?]: 5659 [0], given: 167

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 20:32
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
stoy4o wrote:

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.

launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

1. Please, explain your reasoning.
2. Is it proper to say "a movement was launched" in the absence of a subject/noun/person or still use "a movement launched"?

Source:Veritas quiz bank

Responding to a pm:

The thing that puts me off (A) is the use of 'and' to join two sentences which are different thoughts (though related). C improves it a whole lot with the use of the semi colon. It separates the sentences.

As for your question, 'which' does refer to the book. It's acceptable to say that the book/article/paper argues ..., (e.g. the idea could be that the particular written material presents an idea against an accepted notion)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 44

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 03:04

Guys why not D...

Both C and D seems similar...
Even D is more clear in expressing meaning....

In C, how can a pronoun "he" in independent clause refers back to Emerson ????

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 10:12
shanmugamgsn wrote:

Guys why not D...

I went with D too because it made sense to me. However, "The American Contemperary movement launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring" is not what the author intended to say. The movement didn't launch Rachel Carson's Silent spring, they actually started together and therefore there is no relation between the two.

Unless I am missing something I dont see a grammar issue in D but the meaning that it conveys is vastly different.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1186

Kudos [?]: 5659 [0], given: 167

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 20:51
Expert's post
shanmugamgsn wrote:

Guys why not D...

D is not correct because the 'contemporary American environmental movement' did not launch 'Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring'. A movement does not launch a book. Instead, a book launches a movement.

In the first part of the sentence, we are talking about 'Ralph Waldo Emerson'. 'he' is naturally referring to him.

Take another example:
I love my brother; he is witty and caring.

Who does 'he' refer to here? Obviously, it refers to 'my brother'.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 17

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 17:57
A and B are not grammatically correct they should have been eliminated from the outset.

E is does not work because it tries to use a pronoun that refers to something in the first clause, but this isn't proper because of the nature of the semi colon.

You should be down to C and D.

Eliminate D because of the meaning change that has already been mentioned.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 20:23
Not at all justified with OA ,why not option (A).

Experts plz explain @plumber , many have given their opinion but can anyone plz elaborate why in (A). the clause linked with "And" cannot stay as it is .

"Arguing" is used correctly .

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 166

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 08:33
Jp27 wrote:
nanishora wrote:

the which in C seems to refer to "Nature" a essay, so my question is how can a essay argue anything, a person can make an argument through an essay.
In option A "arguing ..... " is used as an adverbial modifier modifying the preceding clause.
For example ->

But I still don't understand 2 things :

1. "The contemporary American environmental movement was launched"
vs
"The contemporary American environmental movement launched"

An environmental movement cannot launch itself right? The movement always needs to be launched by others ...

Hence to me "The contemporary American environmental movement was launched..." is correct
and "The contemporary American environmental movement launched ..." is incorrect

2. To me "arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer" is correctly modifying the previous clause. What is wrong with arguing here

Please correct me where I am wrong here

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 166

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 06:06
Practicegmat wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
nanishora wrote:

For example ->

But I still don't understand 2 things :

1. "The contemporary American environmental movement was launched"
vs
"The contemporary American environmental movement launched"

An environmental movement cannot launch itself right? The movement always needs to be launched by others ...

Hence to me "The contemporary American environmental movement was launched..." is correct
and "The contemporary American environmental movement launched ..." is incorrect

2. To me "arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer" is correctly modifying the previous clause. What is wrong with arguing here

Please correct me where I am wrong here

Could anyone pls help me with my doubts?
Thanks

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 05:52
I have just got a doubt.
It seems to me that "was" (in front of launched) is missing on the OA and it is not a very good sentence.
Now, in E "it" is ambiguous.
Amongst the two not so good sentences, which one shall I choose?
Just reading the whole sentence through..
"For Ralph Waldo Emerson, trancendentalism was his professed ideal over a century before the contemporary American environmental movement launched with Rachel Carson's Silent Spring;"
Is this an independent clause? Does "launched" act as a verb over here, as it's not having any auxiliary/helping verb?
Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2014, 05:52