Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 397 [74]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [15]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [9]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: For several years, Nighttime News attracted fewer viewers than World [#permalink]
Bookmarks
bholakc wrote:
For several years, Nighttime News attracted fewer viewers than World News, which broadcasts its show at the same time as Nighttime News. Recently,the producers of Nighttime News added personal interest stories and increased coverage of sports and weather. The two programs no.w have a roughly equal number of viewers. Clearly, the recent programming changes persuaded viewers to switch from World News to Nighttime News.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the author relies?
(A) Viewers are more interested in sports and weather than in personal interest stories.
(B) The programming content of Nighttime News is more closely aligned with the interests of the overall audience than is the content of World News.
(C) Some World News viewers liked the new Nighttime News programming better than they liked the World News programming.
(D) There are other possible causes for an increase in the number of viewers of Nighttime News, including a recent ad campaign that aired on many local affiliates.
(E) The quality of World News will remain constant even if Nighttime News improves.

this question is from mahattan GMAT CR Book with detial explaination is available on page 66

the answer is C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: For several years, Nighttime News attracted fewer viewers than World [#permalink]
I also think that the answer should be E since the author is assuming that the changes brought in by Nighttime News attracted new viewers which implies that the World News wasn't able to dish out anything new that could retain its viewers.

Can anyone please help with the explanation ?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Kudos
ramannanda9 wrote:
Conclusion: Clearly, the recent programming changes persuaded viewers to switch from World News to Nighttime News.

For several years, Nighttime News attracted fewer viewers than World News, which broadcasts its show at the same time as Nighttime News. Recently,the producers of Nighttime News added personal interest stories and increased coverage of sports and weather. The two programs no.w have a roughly equal number of viewers. Clearly, the recent programming changes persuaded viewers to switch from World News to Nighttime News.

(A) Viewers are more interested in sports and weather than in personal interest stories. This cannot be even derived at. This can't be the assumption
(B) The programming content of Nighttime News is more closely aligned with the interests of the [b]overall [/b]audience than is the content of World News. This is not necessary for the conclusion to hold true. It might be the case that content is same for example sports,weather but the quality of one might be better than the other.
(C) Some World News viewers liked the new Nighttime News programming better than they liked the World News programming. Correct, This is exactly the assumption we are looking for. If this is true some of the users would switch from world news to nighttime news. Also on negating this becomes Some-> None of the users liked the nightime news programming better than world news. So why would they switch, Since it destroys the argument it is a correct choice.
(D) There are other possible causes for an increase in the number of viewers of Nighttime News, including a recent ad campaign that aired on many local affiliates.
How can this be the assumption ?
(E) The quality of World News will remain constant even if Nighttime News improves. Does this have to be true? It might remain same, it might not, the only thing that matters is that the quality of nighttime news improve over the world news.

when you are negating c, why have you written "None of the users liked the ....." as er the original option c, negation should look like "None of the world news viewers liked the ......." now please explain your logic again as this CR is baffling me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Send PM
Yeah, missed the complete selection , but I guess this was implied. When I said some becomes none, that is applicable for world news viewers only.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
ramannanda9 wrote:
Yeah, missed the complete selection , but I guess this was implied. When I said some becomes none, that is applicable for world news viewers only.

Posted from my mobile device

But in that case negating c will not blow the argument. I think there is some issue with the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
I didn't choose C because I thought that just rehashed the premise/evidence?
I chose E instead... which now looks weak.
NUS School Moderator
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
(C) Some World News viewers liked the new Nighttime News programming better than they liked the World News programming.

This is the correct Choice - those who shifted from world news -- saw nighttime news now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
I hope C might be the answer.

I were able to crop down the options to B and C.

But when I tried to negate and check,

(C) Some World News viewers "DIN'T" liked the new Nighttime News programming better than they liked the World News programming.

This still holds the argument, as the number of viewers are even for both the channels. So viewers of World news dint like the nighttime's content.

(B) The programming content of Nighttime News is "NOT" more closely aligned with the interests of the overall audience than is the content of World News.

Here when we tried to negate, the argument falls. Because, if the nighttime contant is not aligned to viewer's interests, then how the number of viewers increased?

Please clarify..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sheolokesh wrote:
I hope C might be the answer.

I were able to crop down the options to B and C.

But when I tried to negate and check,

(C) Some World News viewers "DIN'T" liked the new Nighttime News programming better than they liked the World News programming.

This still holds the argument, as the number of viewers are even for both the channels. So viewers of World news dint like the nighttime's content.

(B) The programming content of Nighttime News is "NOT" more closely aligned with the interests of the overall audience than is the content of World News.

Here when we tried to negate, the argument falls. Because, if the nighttime contant is not aligned to viewer's interests, then how the number of viewers increased?

Please clarify..

You are negating arbitrarily, hence getting confused. Take a look at this thread

article-what-and-how-to-negate-6-exercise-questions-138510.html

c) Some-> None not didn't

What you did was not negation. If i say some people like ice cream. It includes the entire range 1 to 100 people. So it's negation is none of the people like ice cream and I cannot say that some of the people did not like ice cream, they might have, they might have not. This is incorrect way of negating.

Similarly you negated b incorrectly. Also, for the argument to hold true, an assumption is something that must be true, which is not the case for b as (a) It is not required for the content to be more aligned, this is additional information for which nothing has been given in argument to support and hence you cannot assume it. b) If you think carefully, It does not have to be overall, it needs to be a majority.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
i still cant understand how 'C' is the right answer. For 'C' to be the right answer, we need to make another assumption that 'world news' and 'nighttime news' are only 2 news broadcasters.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Hi chetan2u / souvik101990,

Can you please post your views on this question. Answer choice C appears to be an Inference type answer rather than an Assumption.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Bookmarks
chetan2u wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
Hi chetan2u / souvik101990,

Can you please post your views on this question. Answer choice C appears to be an Inference type answer rather than an Assumption.

Hi Vyshak,
Firstly I appreciate your diligence in solving a Q. it is easy to get confused between an assumption and inference..

Assumption is based on our experience of a situation earlier and belief of that to be true in present circumstances, connecting two open ends. Whereas Inference is taking out some info out of an argument and believe it to be true since you believe the argument to be true.
YOU ASSUME SOMETHING TO BE ABLE TO STAND LOGICALLY AND INFER FROM SOMETHING WHICH YOU CONSIDER TO BE TRUE.

lets see the situation here:-
Two programmes are aired at the same time. A has more viewership than B, but after few changes in B, both have the same viewership.
conclusion:- people have switched from A to B.

what can we infer:-
the ratio of A's viewership to B's has gone down.
the changes in B has helped B gain more viewership. It is given changes have occurred and viewership has increased but not clearly mentioned that ONE has led to SECOND. We INFER that.
The programming content of Nighttime News is now more closely aligned with the interests of the few audience than it was before.

Now what can be the assumptions:-something connecting the argument to conclusion
1. Some World News viewers liked the new Nighttime News programming better than they liked the World News programming.

Hi chetan2u,

I opted for E, which is wrong. I able able to comprehend why C is right but still want your opinion.
The only contender are B, C and E.
Lets discuss them one by one-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The original option is

(B) The programming content of Nighttime News is NOW more closely aligned with the interests of the overall audience than is the content of World News.

If I add one word "now"---> Then it looks like an inference otherwise its not. :roll:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the situation described

Two programmes are aired at the same time. A has more viewership than B, but after few changes in B, both have the same viewership.
conclusion:- people have switched from A to B.

If we prethink, how can we we make argument strong
1) A has not lower its quality
2) Total no of viewers are still same

eg- Previous viewer of A- 150
Previous viewer of B- 100
Total= 250
After changes its not B now has 150 and A too has 150
Its-- Those extra 50 viewer of A SWITCHED to B.

Now here comes E

(E) The quality of World News WILL REMAIN constant even if Nighttime News improves (ORIGINAL OPTION)

Modified Option-

(E) The quality of World News REMAINS constant even if Nighttime News improves .

Original option talks about future --> Which we are not concerned at all

We are only concerned about the quality of the of that period in which B (Nighttime ) made changes.

If modified version was the original option--> Then it would be correct (Therefore its a trap)

AM I RIGHT---- :?:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now only option left is C.

C) Some World News viewers liked the new Nighttime News programming better than they liked the World News programming.

Actually I eliminated it because of the word "SOME"---> But actually we have to consider because we don't have better option

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is my reasoning correct..??
Please assist.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
bholakc wrote:

(A) Viewers are more interested in sports and weather than in personal interest stories.
(B) The programming content of Nighttime News is more closely aligned with the interests of the overall audience than is the content of World News.
(E) The quality of World News will remain constant even if Nighttime News improves.

The Principle of Negation instructs you to use the Least Extreme Negation(LEN) when left btw 2 options. In otherwords, you must try to not negate extremely whle you are negating. In fact let your negation be least negated. But the dynamics is really tricky a little. In this question, Negation might make you choose B instead of C. Right? C is the right option. Why? Simply because it is the assumption that led to the conclusion.
The clearest assumption principle for me is THE ASSUMPTION MUST LEAD TO THE CONCLUSION AND FILL A LOGIC GAP IN THE ARGUMENT. only C does that.
If u thought about the assumption before looking at the options, u will think something like; FOR A SWITCH IN THE CONCLUSION TO OCCUR, THE GUYS THAT SWITCHED LIKED THE STATION THEY SWITCHED TO MORE THAN THE ONE THEY SWITCHED FROM. or could you, under normal circumstances, switch from a program you like to one u dont like? No u wouldn't
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [2]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos