Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 21:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (02:09) correct 44% (01:00) wrong based on 131 sessions
For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail rates and may be shipping from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must be added into prices

A. which pay regular mail rates and may be shipping from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must
B. that pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must
C. who pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly so affordable and it often must
D. which pays regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not as nearly affordable and often must
E. which pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 00:46
saikarthikreddy wrote:
For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail rates and may be shipping from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must be added into prices

A. which pay regular mail rates and may be shipping from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must
B. that pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must
C. who pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly so affordable and it often must
D. which pays regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not as nearly affordable and often must
E. which pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must
A- Incorrect because verb form 'pay' and 'may be shipping' need to be parallel i.e. Should be in same tense, here it should be 'pay' and 'may ship' simple present.
B-Incorrect because 'that' is not correct to refer the subject here.
C- Incorrect because 'who' is not correct to refer the subject here.
D- Incorrect - 'pays' is incorrect because subject is plural, 'small retailers and websites'.
E- correct as it uses correct and parallel simple present tense 'pay' and 'may ship'

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 103

Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 02:25
Sentence is akward to me.
I have a doubt with the correct option(E)

For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail rates and may ship from only one location, free shipping is not nearly as affordable and often must be be added into prices

Is the usage of AS correct here. I think is not as affordable as X should be used here. Am i wrong.

Gurus please help .

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 08:34
Quote:

I know which will refer to the preceding word (website)

In this example which will not refer to compound subject - smaller retailers and web sites?
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 08:12
gmatchase wrote:
Quote:

I know which will refer to the preceding word (website)

In this example which will not refer to compound subject - smaller retailers and web sites?

Same doubt here, could anybody please clarify. This question provides the opportunity for a huge takeaway in 'which' vs 'that construction

Thanks!
Cheers
J :P
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 4

Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
"Which" should refer to both smaller retailers and websites in the above example.
If you want "which" to refer to only websites, you can modify the sentence as follows:
For smaller retailers and FOR websites, which...

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2014, 01:22

I am a little confused as to which tense do we have here

"Pay regular rates " --- present tense
"may be shipping " --- is this present continuous tense , though may is a likelihood !!
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2014, 05:21
Same here too.... which will refer to websites,why can't who which will refer to both retailers and websites
SVP
SVP

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 06:57
prasi55 wrote:
"Which" should refer to both smaller retailers and websites in the above example.
If you want "which" to refer to only websites, you can modify the sentence as follows:
For smaller retailers and FOR websites, which...

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

Prasad, Thanks
But still unclear on 'which' vs 'that' split on B and E

Could you please elaborate a little bit more on why one is right and the other wrong?

Thanks
Cheers!
J :)
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [3] , given: 4

Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
Let me first offer some examples to clarify the distinction between "which" and "that".

Suppose the other room has some books, and I issue one of the following commands:

1. Get me the red book, which is mine.
First of all, note the comma after "book". The comma is an important separator on the GMAT. In this sentence, the comma tells us that what follows it is extra information about the book. So you should be able to remove "which is mine" from this sentence, and the command should still make perfect sense. This suggests that there is exactly one red book in the other room.
The command in this case translates to the following two sentences:
Get me the red book. The red book is mine.

2. Get me the red book, that is mine.
This sentence is incorrect. You cannot have the comma and "that" together like this. Note that "that" can start an independent sentence. So the above construction has two independent sentences without a conjunction to connect them. "That" is not allowed.

3. Get me the red book that is mine.
Note that there's no comma in this command. This means the "that" provides essential information to unambiguously identify the book I am interested in. The command suggests that there are possibly many red books in the other room but that only one of them belongs to me.

4. Get me the red book which is mine.
Again, there's no comma in this command. This command provides the same information that is provided in 3.
There is some confusion over whether you can use "which" without the comma to provide essential information. The GMAT official guide has a couple examples in which "which" is used without a comma. The official guide doesn't call out those sentences as incorrect, but it admits that the rule is controversial.

The bottom line is that, if you are forced to choose between 3 and 4, you should prefer 3. But I do not expect the GMAT to make you choose between the two without providing other markers to adequately separate the correct answer from the incorrect ones.

The scope of "which" is restricted. Typically, it can modify only the noun immediately preceding it. In some cases, it can modify a noun that's slightly far away. For example: He composed an album of songs, which is/are popular. In this construction, which can modify either album (in which case you need "is") or songs (in which case you need "are").

If you want to modify an entire clause/an action, you should use an "ing" modifier. Alternatively, you can use a word or a phrase that captures the essence of the action (sometimes called a "resumptive modifier" because it introduces some repetition to eliminate ambiguity).

In this question, both B and E are correct. The GMAT would not make you choose between them and would typically place other errors in the sentences. But if it makes you choose, you should choose "that", as there's no confusion about its usage in restrictive clauses that do not employ the comma.

Hope this helps.

--Prasad

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

SVP
SVP

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 08:34
This was awesome. Thanks so much Prasad
Kudos for you!

Cheers!
J :)
Re: For smaller retailers and Web sites, which pay regular mail   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2014, 08:34