Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Mannheim '15
GPA: 3
WE: Human Resources (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 19

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

25% (02:01) correct 75% (01:02) wrong based on 146 sessions
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Hobstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each year.

1. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Hobstein cows are producing
2. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, the Hobstein cow produces
3. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Hobstein cows are producing
4. provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, the Hobstein cow produces
5. provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, Hobstein cows will produce

Parallelism ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-04-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 13

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
Dhairya275 wrote:
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Hobstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each year.

1. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Hobstein cows are producing
2. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, the Hobstein cow produces
3. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Hobstein cows are producing
4. provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, the Hobstein cow produces
5. provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, Hobstein cows will produce

Parallelism ?

Option 5 is correct.
In the first part "them" is used so "cows" would be correct.We can eliminate Option 2,4 .In option 1,3 present continuous tense is incorrect.In option 3 parallelism is also incorrect.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 15:12
I got this one right, but it took me obscenely long time. I tried to think about the sentence in a reverse-form.

Hobstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each year for the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly.

1. Hobstein cows are producing...providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly
2. The Hobstein cow produces...providing them with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly
3. Hobstein cows are producing...provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly
4. The Hobstein cow produces... provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly
5. Hobstein cows will produce...provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly

My question is - does "takes" have to be parallel with provided / milked? Though I thought #5 worked the best, is it incorrect to say "who took care to keep them cool, provided them with..."?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-04-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 13

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 23:34
mid14 wrote:
I got this one right, but it took me obscenely long time. I tried to think about the sentence in a reverse-form.

Hobstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each year for the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly.

1. Hobstein cows are producing...providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly
2. The Hobstein cow produces...providing them with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly
3. Hobstein cows are producing...provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly
4. The Hobstein cow produces... provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly
5. Hobstein cows will produce...provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly

My question is - does "takes" have to be parallel with provided / milked? Though I thought #5 worked the best, is it incorrect to say "who took care to keep them cool, provided them with..."?

If you will use "took"...it will change the meaning.

And "provided" and "milked" are modifiers and they are parallel...no error in parallelism.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 05:36
Dhairya275 wrote:

Parallelism ?

Would someone explain this one? I don't really get how provided can follow for the farmer... it sounds like the farmer itself is provided with high energy feed which doesn't make any sense.

Thanks
Cheers
J
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 06:40
THIS QUESTION IS WRITEN WRONG

if we learn like this, we can not win gmat

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 5

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 16:57
1. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Hobstein cows are producing Wrong - nonsensical to use present progressive tense (present progressive indicates action is taking place)

2. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, the Hobstein cow produces Wrong - "them" modifier requires a plural referent

3. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Hobstein cows are producing Wrong - nonsensical to use present progressive tense (present progressive indicates action is taking place)

4. provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, the Hobstein cow produces Wrong - "them" modifier requires a plural referent

5. provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, Hobstein cows will produce Best choice among not good answer choices - "will produce" not as good as "produce", but it is better than present progressive "are producing"

IMO E

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 5

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 17:12
This post received
KUDOS
jlgdr wrote:
Dhairya275 wrote:

Parallelism ?

Would someone explain this one? I don't really get how provided can follow for the farmer... it sounds like the farmer itself is provided with high energy feed which doesn't make any sense.

Thanks
Cheers
J

IMO The author wants the reader to know that the cows provide milk for the farmer. Since "provided, and milked.." are separated by commas, they are non-restrictive modifiers. These modifiers do not have to describe the noun immediately preceding it. Furthermore, "For" is a preposition, so "farmer" must be the object of the preposition. ("who..." modifies the farmer.) Thus, because "farmer" is the object of the preposition, it cannot take any participle modifiers. The only eligible noun to take the modifiers is the subject of the sentence, "Hobstein" cows. This must be the correct answer. After all, you'll notice the correct answer E is "as-clean-as-a-whistle" -- it doesn't contains any pronouns.

I hope the helps.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 5

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 17:17
vietmoi999 wrote:

With that attitude, you won't win GMAT either. Keep your cool mate! :beer

Fuqua Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 17:29
vietmoi999 wrote:

exactly. this is why I stopped doing practice questions unless they were from my study materials (Manhattan or Magoosh) or official GMAT. Too much risk of inconsistency to mess with your studying mojo. The only reason I even clicked on this link is that I remember this question from the OG and was surprised to see an official question on GC. I thought you couldn't post official GMAT questions here??
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Oxford
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 01:40
mejia401 wrote:

5. provided with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, Hobstein cows will produce Best choice among not good answer choices - "will produce" not as good as "produce", but it is better than present progressive "are producing"

IMO E

Does it make sense to say "...milked them regularly, Hobstein cows will produce...". What is the antecedent of "them"?
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2014, 01:40