Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2015, 16:49
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool - Old Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool - Old Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2005, 20:31
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.
A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

Please explain your answer.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 10:46
Yet (A)nother for (A)

An error in S-V agreement "COW" ---> "takes care of THEM" eliminates B and D

Why C& E are wrong? Refer to TeHCM's explanation

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 06:54
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of mild each per year.
A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

I go with E

Last edited by sunshine_na on 12 Apr 2007, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 06:59
I recant B. It should be A even though cows are producing seems very awkward. But rest of the choices are even more horrible.

Wow..this one's an amazing rigmarole...

The right answer is E and only after having seen it does E now make sense to me..

For the farmer

who takes care to keep them cool
provided with high energy feed and
milked regularly

Holstein cows produce...

Last edited by dwivedys on 12 Apr 2007, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 07:19
I don't know what the exactly answer is, but here is an essay which has a similar structure with this question.

When it comes to milk production, nothing beats Holsteins.For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, sated with high-energy chow, and milked regularly—often under the management of a sophisticated computer—these familiar black-and-white cows produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year. The average Brown Swiss, in contrast, produced only 1,820 gallons last year, and a Jersey less than 1,600.[/u]
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC QUESTION [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 07:21
sunshine_na wrote:
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of mild each per year.

I go with E

Please underline the portion which you want to correct? Or is it the entire sentence which is underlined? :roll:
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

Re: SC QUESTION [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 07:58
Twisted one. For me, I would go with E. Seems to be the best among the rest

B and D are out - use of cow(singular) after using "them" earlier in the sentence.

C is out - parallelism is skewed "provided with high-energy feed" and "milking them regularly".

A was my initial choice. But, the sentence seems to talk about a future event, a prediction almost. My inference: "If the farmer takes good care of them, they will produce more milk". Also, use of the singular for "farmer" further supports the prediction claim. I cannot imagine there being only one farmer who currently takes good care of his Holsteins.

Anand
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 17:45
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

OA: E

Please explain. :?
I answered A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 05:33
In the first sentence "are producing" does not make sense. Must be will produce.

E is the only choice after that which is parallel in meaning, and for me (a native speaker with terrible spelling, and grammer, but a Literature degree) sounds correct.

I wish I could give more details.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 17:22

A. are producing looks awkward

B. them in the initial portion of the sentence and Holstein cow in the latter part do not go together and each per year at the last requires plural of Holstein cow

C. same problem as A

D. same problem as B

E. Correct. If you rearrange this sentence
Provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year, f.or the farmer who takes care to keep them cool .
Not so perfect but the best out of the lot with less mistakes
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 18:02
Picking E.

The only reason for picking E is that "are producing" in A doesn't look right. That's because the sentence begins as if giving a condition and hence "will" is more suited here.
"For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool"

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 18:28
This question is testing parallelism and Subject Verb agreement.

E.

A. ---providing them --- with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

B. ---providing them--- with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

C. provided with high-energy feed, and ----milking them--- regularly, Holstein cows are producing

D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow ---produces

E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce Yes !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 01:20
For all the farmers who do something (and only then), the cows will do something in favour (it is kind of hypothetical sentence). So a future tense is needed, i.e. (E)

Furthermoere (B) and (D) has an agreement error them vs. the cow.

Best regards!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 06:37
buzzgaurav wrote:
Picking E.

The only reason for picking E is that "are producing" in A doesn't look right. That's because the sentence begins as if giving a condition and hence "will" is more suited here.
"For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool"

Hmmm....

I thought "are producing" is ok because what if the cows have been, and still do produce that much milk annually for those specific farmers???

"will produce" sounds like the cows will produce that much for the first time...(although this doesn't make sense given the avg figure...the cows must have produced that much before to obtain the avg...but then this also supports "are producing")

Arrrggg!!!!

Why do I always get wrong on these 50:50 ones????

I'm able to narrow it down to two, then pick the loser.

:x
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 10:12

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing ->Incorrect
B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces ->Incorrect
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing ->Incorrect
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces ->Incorrect
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce ->correct
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Holstein cows [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 10:24
ricokevin wrote:

OA: E

Please explain. :?
I answered A.

Correct portion of the sentence uses 'them' so all choices having 'cow' are out. Remove B and D. Now 'are producing' is not correct as its says something is happening at the moment rather than a general observation hence A and D are out.

Answer E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Q)For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 15:00
Q)For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 15:29
What a weirdly constructed sentence. I'll take a stab and guess E.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 18:00
I would say A by flipping the sentence and starting with Holstein cows...

Also, the -ing form is correct since this is an ongoing event.

A seems the best.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-- Holstein Cows [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 19:23
abhinava wrote:
Q)For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

go with e, to keep them cool, (to keep them) provided, and (to keep them) milk

Last edited by stevegt on 21 Jun 2007, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 19:43
lanter1 wrote:
I would say A by flipping the sentence and starting with Holstein cows...

Also, the -ing form is correct since this is an ongoing event.

A seems the best.

Yes. A seems best. But, i would like to know OE for this?
  [#permalink] 21 Jun 2007, 19:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 105 posts ]