Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1816 [1106]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [294]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [209]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [139]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think E might be appealing to you because by itself, the underlined part sounds good. This sentence would be OK:

Provided with high-energy feed and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.
(Structure: Modifier [provided and milked], Subject [H. cows] Verb [will produce] Object [an average of ....])

Note the parallelism between provided and milked. Also note that there is no comma between them, as there are just two actions that must be done for the cows. For lists of two things, we see "X and Y" with no comma. For lists of three or more things, we see "X, Y, and Z" and the GMAT puts a comma between each list item, including one before the final "and."

So, my question on (E) is where's the third list item that justifies the comma before "and milked"? I suppose it might be "cool," and we are supposed to think of provided and milked as descriptions of the cows rather than actions done for the cows. That is,

(1) For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool,
(2) For the farmer who takes care to keep them provided with high-energy feed,
(3) For the farmer who takes care to keep them milked regularly,
.....Holstein cows will produce ...

But looking at the other choices the same way (what three things are parallel?), you can't eliminate 4 choices for bad parallelism. There's a second judgement call about verb tense, and I'm not sure the question gives you enough context to rule out one tense in favor of another. What's the source of the question?
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [43]
Send PM
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
We continued this discussion via private message, but here's a summary for the benefit of others.

GMATMadeeasy wrote:
Thanks for wonderful break up , it gives me more insight on this.

The source of the notes is one of these discussion forums' notes and the right answer is E in fact . But I do not get it fully, why this is the answer?

I believe, the given sentence being a general statement, "are producing" progressive tense won't make sense , so E is correct.
I agree, the generality of this statement is key. By using the future tense, (E) makes a prediction or statement of expectations.

GMATMadeeasy wrote:
In that case, I would like to ask parallelism of A is correct or incorrect if we ignore tense issue ?
I think the parallelism of (A) is still incorrect, and punctuation has something to do with it. Here's (A), with color-coding of what might be parallel:

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

Note that "producing" cannot be parallel to the other -ing words!! "Providing" and "milking" act as modifiers, whereas "are producing" is a tensed verb. Also, if "producing" were in our list of three things, the "and" would be in front of the third item, not the second.

There's no -ing word before the first comma to parallel "providing" and "milking," so this is just a list of two things and there's no reason to have a comma in front of "and milking" at all.

Finally, even if we took the comma out, it doesn't make sense for "providing" and "milking" to be used as adverbial modifiers of "takes care to keep them cool." Providing food and milking them aren't ways to keep cows cool, unless there's something important about cow tending that I am unaware of (quite likely!). The structure of (A) could be OK, if we solved both the comma problem and the meaning problem:

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with adequate water and air-conditioning their shelters in the summer, Holstein cows are producing (better, as discussed above: will produce) an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [37]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I've come around to (E) on this one; I have to admit I wasn't thrilled with it and probably would have answered this incorrectly under timed circumstances!

cccmom wrote:
Esledge,
What about not repeating them on this one? How does that rule work with this question? Can you eliminate them in the other answer choices and have the meaning clear from the first part which says For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, and the last part which mentions the Holstein cows?
Thanks,
CCCMom

You don't have to repeat them for the sake of either parallelism or clarity. You DO have to have the plural Holstein cows as the subject (not the singular the Holstein cow), to serve as the referent for any plural them's in the modifier.

Here's another example, similar to (E):

For the handler who keeps them fit, well trained and intellectually stimulated, German Shepards will be loyal and competent companions.

See how the parallel structure comes after them? It's as if them gets used three times: keeps them fit, keeps them trained, keeps them stimulated.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [24]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

(A) providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

(B) providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

(C) provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

(D) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

(E) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Attachment:
SC Cow.jpg

At first, none of the answers looks right - this is certainly a high level question. B) and D) cannot be correct, as mentioned above, because the sentence has a plural number of cows ('them') at the beginning of the sentence, and a singular number of cows at the end. A) doesn't look at all promising, because, if you interpret 'takes care', 'providing' and 'milking' to be a list of actions performed by the farmer, you expect parallelism; that is, you expect it to read: "takes care to keep them cool, provides them with high energy feed, and milks them regularly..." Unfortunately none of the answers is parallel in this sense, *so we can't interpret the underlined passage as part of a sequence of actions performed by the farmer*. The underlined passage isn't attached to the beginning of the sentence at all, in fact; it's attached to the end of the sentence. If we simply reorder the words, using what should be the correct answer (that's E), I assume), the meaning should become clear:

Provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year for the farmer who takes care to keep them cool.

Try to do the same rearrangement with answer A) and you'll see there's a problem.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

GMATMadeeasy wrote:

(A) providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

(B) providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

(C) provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

(D) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

(E) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

Choice A: In Option A, "providing" and "milking" appear to be functioning as modifiers for "take care to keep them cool"; however, within the context of this sentence this modification makes no logical sense. Thus, Option A is incorrect.

Choice B: Option B repeats the error Option A makes, regarding the word "providing". Additionally, this option uses "them" to refer to the singular "Holstein Cow". Thus, Option B is incorrect.

Choice C: Option C repeats the error Option A makes, regarding the word "milking". Furthermore, this answer choice utilizes an incorrect verb tense, present continuous, in the verb phrase "are producing". Thus, Option C is incorrect.

Choice D: Option D repeats the same pronoun error that Option B displays. Thus, Option D is incorrect.

Choice E: Option E conveys the intended meaning of the sentence that if a farmer takes care of Holstein cows in certain ways, the cows will provide a certain quantity of milk. Moreover, this answer choice also uses one of the two tenses that can be used to portray a causal relationship, simple present or simple future. Thus, Option E is correct.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of “Simple tenses on GMAT”, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This one was very tricky. I was trying to find an option where all the actions are in parallel (normal practice for sentences with a list of actions). But the answer options were not as per my logic. :(
The only option that makes sense is if the sentence is describing a conditional out come. If A is provided with X and Y it will produce B.

Only option E makes sense. D comes close but looses out to E because "produces" fails to convey the idea of conditional outcome.

Answer: E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1474 [12]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
iDisappear wrote:
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy
feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
an average of 2,275
gallons of milk each per year.
A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are
producing
B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow
produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are
producing
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

tricky indeed....was so close going for B

*to keep them cool* therefre the subject is plural
B,D eliminated
GMAT never uses present continuous (BE -ing) to describe a habit, fact, future etc......
therefore A, C eliminated, with E the only option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [10]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos