Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2267 [1] , given: 691

Re: SC GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
akashv wrote:
I came accross this question in GMAT Prep:

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.
a. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
b.providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
c.provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
d.provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
e.provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

I eliminated B-D because of obvious parallelism errors, but was stuck with A and E.

Is A wrong only because of "are producing"?

Is "providing them with and milking them correct"?

Is there any other explanation (The above two are my guesses)

Analyze the situation

A) too may them: the question became confused

B and C are not parallel : providing and milked

Between D and E: think about the meaning of the sentece: if you provided and milked the cow, then they WILL produce milk. Moreover, THE holstein cows is wrong.

E wins. ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1233

Kudos [?]: 3374 [8] , given: 181

Re: SC GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Akash,

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

Well, this question is certainly confusing and not written in the best possible manner. However let’s get into the logic of this sentence. The sentence is saying that for the farmers who takes care of the Holstein cows in certain ways, these cows produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year. Now here comes the tricky part. The ways in which the farmers takes care of these cows is that he takes care:
a. to keep them cool,
b. to keep them provided with high-energy feed, and
c. to keep them milked regularly.

1. From the original sentence, it is clear that the entities in the list are not parallel. While “cool” is an adjective, “providing…” and “milking…” are working as gerunds (nouns) in this sentence.
2. In case, if you could not figure out the correct parallel list to rectify it, look at the problem this way. “providing…” and “milking…” are the verb-ing modifiers preceded by comma. This means that they are modifying the preceding clause. However, it does not make sense to say that the farmer keeps the cows cool by providing them good feed and by milking them. So these modifiers do not fit here.
3. Also notice the inconsistent verb tenses. This sentence is providing general information about the Holstein cows. Using present continuous tense “are producing” does not make sense here.

POE:

a. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

b. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces: Incorrect.
1. The verb-ing modifier “providing…” does not make sense as in choice A.
2. The entities in the list are still not parallel.
3. The singular antecedent “the Holstein cow” does not agree in number with plural pronoun “them”.

c. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing: Incorrect.
1. Verb-ing modifier “milking…” does not make sense.
2. The entities in the list are still not parallel.
3. Use of “are producing” is incorrect.

d. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces: Incorrect. The singular antecedent “the Holstein cow” does not agree in number with plural pronoun “them”.

e. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce: Correct. The use of future “will produce” is correct because we have a causal relationship here. If the farmers take care of the cows in certain ways, then the cows produce certain amount of milk. The cause is written in the simple present. Hence, the effect can be written in either simple present tense or simple future tense.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 10:11
Shraddha, fantastic explanation. I struggled with this question during my test and I decided to move on and selected random.

I was inclined towards E but the comma ',and' after high energy feed was bothering me. This comma proves that the provided-milked is not a modifier. I think I was right but I couldnt see the parallel list. I tried searching for all the possible explanations but yours one is the perfect example of what gmat takers are looking for.
I m sure it would be of great help to gmat-takers if your team pays more attentions on replying such gmatprep questions. Not only does it help to understand the given question, but also it makes sure you won't miss such trap thereafter.
Thanks again.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 09:49
Very much interested in understanding the reasoning and analysis of this SC. I got it wrong in GMATPrep.

I can see that D can be eliminated because pronoun them is used but corresponding subject is singular - the Holstein cow.

Also since it looks like a fact I think it should either have produces or will produce. producing is out. So A and C is out.
Between A and E cannot decide. Both break parallelism rule. Would like some help!!!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 12

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cows produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them reglarly Holstein cows are producing
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

Ok , its a question of parallelism. The first parallel part is non underlined : to keep them cool. So the other options have to be verbs.ie it has to be : to provide. Elimninate A and B. Another reason to eliminate A and B is ing modifier modifies the entire sentence before it. Farmer doesn't keep cows cool by providing them with food and mliking them. D is eliminated as it uses singular cows wheres the author clearly uses them to refer to the cows. Between C and E. C misses a comma plus are producing is incorrect. The affect of the farmers services should be in future. E wins.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 11:40
kuttingchai wrote:

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing - This gives a the meaning that all the three actions are done simultaneously. however, that is not the case. The last action should be a result of the first two.
B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cows produces - Not parallel. "Cows" is plural and cannot "produces" Eliminate.
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them reglarlym Holstein cows are producing - Not parallel . Eliminate.
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces- Them cannot refer to a single cow. Eliminate.
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce - As a result of the first two actions, Holstein cows will produce xyz gallons of milk each per year !

Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

You want something, go get it . Period !

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 591 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Prep SC - From GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 22:44
Expert's post
B and D are out because SV agreement.
To refer an to ongoing action only, present continuous is used. A and C are also out. Only E is left.

Now my doubt is in E, "provided" is referring to whom: farmers or cows?

To the poster of the question, provided and milked are participles. So IMO no issue of parallelism here.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 135

Kudos [?]: 174 [1] , given: 4

Re: GMAT Prep SC - From GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 04:03
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Sreeviji,

I would say that E is parallel. Here is my thinking.

E in full: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

You are asking whether 'provided' is parallel to 'takes care', but they don't need to be. The sentence structure in my opinion is something like:

For the farmer who takes care to:

a) keep them cool
b) keep them provided with high energy feed
c) keep them milked regularly

Holstein cows will produce an average of 2275gallons per year

In the sentence we have the 'keep them' is not repeated but is implied.

Does that help?

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

GMAT Pill Representative

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Prep SC - From GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 04:06
Hi Marcab,

To your question...

The full sentence of this would be.

The farmers keep them (the cows) provided with high energy feed

So the cows are provided with high energy feed by the farmers.

The sentence is about the 3 things the farmers have to do to get the Cows producing lots of milk.

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 63

Re: GMAT Prep SC - From GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 05:18
Hey marcab,

I don't think B and D have SV issues. B has incorrect usage of the article "the" since we are talking about Holstein cows in general.

I can't find a reason to rule out D? something wrong with the question?

D has present tense
E has future tense

this question isn't testing past/present/future concept

if its a GMATPREP question there won't be ambiguity..
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative

Kudos [?]: 174 [2] , given: 4

Re: GMAT Prep SC - From GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Nelz,

Here is D

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cow produces an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

I've highlighted the error here. If you want a singular 'cow' you need 'a' so better would be 'a Holstein cow produces'.

James

... and more

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT Prep SC - From GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 07:12
Expert's post
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Marcab,

To your question...

The full sentence of this would be.

The farmers keep them (the cows) provided with high energy feed

So the cows are provided with high energy feed by the farmers.

The sentence is about the 3 things the farmers have to do to get the Cows producing lots of milk.

Hii James.
Thanks for replying.

Don't you think that the construction of the red portion is ambigous? I understood you explanation but can't "provided" refer to farmers.
Thanks in advance

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

GMAT Pill Representative

Re: GMAT Prep SC - From GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 08:04
Hi Marcab,

I'm struggling to understand exactly what you mean. I think you mean can logically it be the farmers who are provided (rather than are providing) with high energy feed?

I don't see it.

Here is E again for reference:

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

The way I look at this is to put a colon between 'to' and the list.

For the Farmer who takes care to:
a)
b)
c)
Holstein cows will....

Maybe I don't see it though, explain further your thinking if you wish.

James

... and more

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT Prep SC - From GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 08:58
Expert's post
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Marcab,

I'm struggling to understand exactly what you mean. I think you mean can logically it be the farmers who are provided (rather than are providing) with high energy feed?

I don't see it.

Here is E again for reference:

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

The way I look at this is to put a colon between 'to' and the list.

For the Farmer who takes care to:
a)
b)
c)
Holstein cows will....

Maybe I don't see it though, explain further your thinking if you wish.

James

Hi James.
Thanks for the reply.

In the list of items you mentioned i.e.
1)keep them cool
2)provided with high energy feed
3)milked regularly

my doubt lies here only. The items in the list are not parallel and thats why I thought that "provided and milked" ambigouslly refer to farmers.
Moreover I think "to provide" is much better than "providing" AND these two are much much better than "to provided" if in case "to" is implicit for the list.

Rules For Posting

GMAT Pill Representative

Re: GMAT Prep SC - From GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 09:29
Hi,

I understand.

How about if you split the sentence here:

For the farmer who takes care to keep them:
a)cool
b) provided with high-energy feed
c) and milked regularly
Holstein cow produces an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

... and more

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT Prep SC - From GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 10:18
Expert's post
Yeah...this one was fine.
But how can I train myself to view the sentence in such a manner and that too in 1.5 mins.
Honestly speaking, if this one had appeared on the real thing i would have skipped it.

Rules For Posting

Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: THE QUESION WITH POE TO HELP EVERYONE [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 06:50
skamal7 wrote:
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and
milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each
per year.

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce
=============================
Encourage me with KUDOS if you like this question
=================================

There is a list of things that the farmer takes care of.

For the farmer who takes care to keep them:
1) cool
2) provided with high energy feed/providing them with
3) milked /milking them

All the items of this list have to be parallel.
The first one is 'cool'. The rest of items will also have to be parallel to this.
Therefore, one should choose "provided with high energy feed" over "providing them with"
and "milked" over "milking them".

Options A, B and C are thus eliminated.
Option D uses "the Holstein cow" which does not act as the correct antecedent for "them".
Option E uses "Holstein cows" which fits correctly.

Hence, E is the right answer.

Hope this helped!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1526 [1] , given: 248

Re: THE QUESION WITH POE TO HELP EVERYONE [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The non-underlined part contains a plural pronoun – them-; so, the subject should be a plural one namely cows and not cow. So, B and D are out. The let’s look into //ism.

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows is producing--- This is trap of pseudo-//ism. Providing and milking are present participles, modifying the noun Holstein cows. Are progressing is wholesome verb; there is no need to look into parallelisms between these two different parts of speech. So A is out’

B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces --- subject- pronoun mismatch

C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing ---provided with and milking --- unparallel.

D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces --= pronoun –subject mismatch

E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce --- correct parallelism of past participles.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 243

Premium Member
Re: THE QUESION WITH POE TO HELP EVERYONE [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 07:14
skamal7 wrote:
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and
milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each
per year.

B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
=============================
Encourage me with KUDOS if you like this question
=================================

the POE , Since ' them' is in the non-underlined portion so the now has to plural. we can eliminate options B and D straight away
now the usage of . providing VS provided with. --ing forms/modifiers are used to show a ongoing action OR a consequence of that action , here none of them fits , hence A is out
b/w C and E , C violates //m provided ---milking are not //. SO E it is

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 20:40
Experts plz pour in .I have no idea why -ING is changed to -ED when option (A) looks fine to me .

Plz Advice !!!

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2013, 20:40