Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [55]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
Re: For the first time in history, more televisions than people can be fou [#permalink]
Among all options given, only C makes sense though it has an underlying assumption that TV were the primary source of information and entertainment.

So C.

- Brajesh
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [2]
Send PM
Re: For the first time in history, more televisions than people can be fou [#permalink]
Bookmarks
beckee529 wrote:
For the first time in history, more televisions than people can be found in American households. According to recent research, the average household has 2.55 residents and contains 2.73 televisions. However, by employing such costly manufacturing processes as plasma technology and flat screens, televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consumer. As a result, the average number of residents per household will again surpass the number of televisions.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument above?

1) House parties at which numerous individuals gather to view popular television shows on one television set have increased three hundred percent during the past year.

2) More than one million legal immigrants enter the United States each year.

3) New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased for use as a primary source of information and entertainment.

4) As new technologies become more commonplace, manufacturing and retail costs normally decline.

5) As a result of technological advances, new televisions are increasingly enabled with some features, such as Internet browsing, traditionally associated with other household devices.

i don't agree with the OA or OE! (forces us to make additional assumption)
please explain your answers, thanks :)

I say C.

We are tryin to support the conclusion that ppl will again outnumber tvs.

A: Irrelevant. People could still own lots of TVs
B: Irrelevant. These immigrants could buy TVs. and whose to say these immigrants are apart of the offical population etc...
D: This weakens the conclusion.
E: Irrelevant. Doesn't say anything about drop in TVs.

C says that people will turn to other forms of electronics for entertainment, thus probably dropping the % of TV's.

It does require some bit of an additional assumption, but it supports the argument the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
:cry: I find A as the best option.

Reason: The argument behind conclusion is that less ppl are purchasing TV 'cause TV' has become too costly to purchase for a typical consumer.
televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consumer. As a result, the average number of residents per household will again surpass the number of televisions.

So to strenghten the argument, correct answer will suggest that ppl are unwillingly refraining from purchasing new TV set ( not by choice).

Now look at options:

B. Too weak. At best it suggests that number of resident is increasing, nothing else. OUT

C. Eyecatcher for sure BUT..
First, it doesn't suggest that ppl are getting same kind of entertainment and information services as they get on TV.
TV word isn't even mentioned in this option.
Second, C suggest that ppl are not buying TV sets by choice not because they cant afford it ( money factor).
Apart from that it doesn't mention that increase in the sale of new devices will continue in future and question ask you to prove that in future number of viewers will surpass number of TV set.

D. Crap.

E. Again crap.

Now my selection, A.

Number of household parties has increased 300%.To me, It is too large an increase to assume that this is because of some trend. It suggests that ppl are very much willing to watch shows on TV sets but since they dont have one they are attending such household parties.

Anyway, this is my reasoning. If OA isn't A, and if I encounter this question on GMAT then I would surely have atleast one wrong that means no 800 :p
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
hi guys.. the OA is C. I didn't like any of their answer choices. I got this from MGMAT crit reasoning question bank. here is the OE they give (which I do not agree with)

Although televisions currently outnumber residents in the average American household, the argument concludes that this fact will soon be reversed. The correct answer choice must strengthen the conclusion that the average household will again contain more residents than television sets. <- agreed

(A) This choice is irrelevant to the conclusion. The fact that individuals increasingly enjoy watching popular shows in the company of others does not affect how many televisions these individuals possess in their places of residence.

(B) This choice simply expresses a fact about U.S. demographics. However, nothing indicates that these immigrants alter the purchasing behavior of televisions by American consumers.

(C) CORRECT. This choice indicates that new devices are replacing the main function of the television: a primary source of information and entertainment. This fact, in combination with the increasing expense of television sets, supports the conclusion that fewer televisions will be purchased in the future. <- i don't agree with that bold part

(D) This choice weakens the conclusion by undermining a premise on which the conclusion is based. If retail costs for televisions were to decline, consumers would not be less likely to purchase televisions in the future.

(E) This choice is irrelevant to the argument. Even if televisions take on some roles associated with other household devices, we cannot claim that there will be fewer television sets per household as a result; indeed, there may be more television sets per household, if television sets can do a greater variety of tasks.

i guess C is the best out of the bunch =\
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
beckee529 wrote:
hi guys.. the OA is C. I didn't like any of their answer choices. I got this from MGMAT crit reasoning question bank. here is the OE they give (which I do not agree with)

(C) CORRECT. This choice indicates that new devices are replacing the main function of the television: a primary source of information and entertainment. This fact, in combination with the increasing expense of television sets, supports the conclusion that fewer televisions will be purchased in the future. <- i don't agree with that bold part

It is absolutely fine because the question stem states "which of the following, IF TRUE..." meaning, you can assume they are FACTS and can take for granted.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Own Kudos [?]: 1848 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: finance and international business
Schools:Columbia university
 Q18  V17 GMAT 2: 320  Q18  V19 GMAT 3: 620  Q42  V33
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
+1 for C. if other devices are used for intertainment and information, then number of televisions used will decline and eventually number of people per house will increase
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 636 [8]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For the first time in history, more televisions than people can be found in American households. According to recent research, the average household has 2.55 residents and contains 2.73 televisions. However, by employing such costly manufacturing processes as plasma technology and flat screens, televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consumer. As a result, the average number of residents per household will again surpass the number of televisions.

A. House parties at which numerous individuals gather to view popular television shows on one television set have increased three hundred percent during the past year.

B. More than one million legal immigrants enter the United States each year.

C. New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased for use as a primary source of information and entertainment.

D. As new technologies become more commonplace, manufacturing and retail costs normally decline.

E. As a result of technological advances, new televisions are increasingly enabled with some features, such as Internet browsing, traditionally associated with other household devices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I still think it should be E

whole point is "employing costly manufacturing processes like plasma technology and flat screens, televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consumer".

Now E suggests,
As a result of technological advances, new televisions are increasingly enabled with some features, such as Internet browsing, traditionally associated with other household devices.

new features in the TV can make it more expensive and leads to lower purchase by the customers.

this looks more close to the argument at hand than C..
What say??
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
How can the average number of residents per household surpass the average number of televisions per household? If the average number of residents per household go up, or if the average number of televisions per household go down.

A is irrelevant. D and E actually oppose the argument, so they are out.

Between B and C, C wins because it clearly establishes how the average number of televisions per household can go down (people are buying other electronic devices instead). It also ties in neatly with the point that televisions are becoming too expensive (so people will look for other options).

Although B establishes how the average number of people per household may increases, it is very vague.

C it is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased for use as a primary source of information and entertainment.

C is best since people would use these devices instead of TV.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I too choose C. Below is my reasoning:

A. House parties at which numerous individuals gather to view popular television shows on one television set have increased three hundred percent during the past year. - At first, I considered it a contender. If people start watching programs together, it will lead to reduction of purchase of new TV sets. However, it suffers from the following:
1. There is significant rise in such households, but the base figure is not given. It may be that only 10 in million households were doing such parties and now the number rises by 300% to 40. Still the number is insignificant to make any dent to the conclusion.
2. People may watch only favorite programs together but still own TV in their homes for private shows or less popular shows.

@Gyan - Can you tell me how did you take it as contender? Does it mean that a family of 4 enters the country and buys a single TV set. Such new combination will change the ratio in favor of avg. number of people in households. Is that the reasoning employed by you?

C. New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased for use as a primary source of information and entertainment.
@Gyan - You mentioned that the new devices are cheaper. Nowhere does the choice mention such price difference.

D. As new technologies become more commonplace, manufacturing and retail costs normally decline. - It actually weakens the argument. Declining prices will push the ratio in the favor of TV sets

E. As a result of technological advances, new televisions are increasingly enabled with some features, such as Internet browsing, traditionally associated with other household devices. - As for D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
holidevil wrote:
@Gyan - Can you tell me how did you take it as contender? Does it mean that a family of 4 enters the country and buys a single TV set. Such new combination will change the ratio in favor of avg. number of people in households. Is that the reasoning employed by you?

It is a stretch but he is saying that if the total population increases (+1 million people) but we assume that the number of TV sets stay static...the number of TVs per household will decrease while the number of people per household will increase. We have to make several assumptions here which makes it the wrong answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
(C).New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased for use as a primary source of information and entertainment.

No where it is mentioned that Televisions were primary source of entertainment.Moreover,as television are getting expensive this choice doesn't mention that these devices are cheaper than TV's.

Plz Advice !!!

Poor question IMHO

What is the source?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 570 Q38 V31
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V21
Send PM
IMO B

Let assume People : TV is 1:2 After more than one million legal immigrants enter US, People : TV is 3:2 or 3:1
It's obvious that the ratio of people surpass TV.
Or the keyword is ''average number of residents'' ?? So then, how can I fix this?
What am I missing here?

And accroding to what TGC stated(comment above) that there was not mentioned that TV was primary source of information and entertainment. So how can we conclude that C is the stronger answer?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3283 [1]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
C for me. It supports by adding additional information that people will not buy TV more becaz New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
monir6000 wrote:

A. House parties at which numerous individuals gather to view popular television shows on one television set have increased three hundred percent during the past year.

D. As new technologies become more commonplace, manufacturing and retail costs normally decline.

E. As a result of technological advances, new televisions are increasingly enabled with some features, such as Internet browsing, traditionally associated with other household devices.

Not a very good rounded question - I must say.

Option C) is the best of the lot and I guess only POE can be used to arrive at this answer.

Option A) : Out of scope as House parties are discussed. Doesn't affect the argument at all.
Option B) Totally Out of scope.
Option D) Opposes the argument.
Option E) Out of scope.

Option C) Some assumptions are to be made. better than the rest.

Seriously source is ManhattanGMAT?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: ISB
Send PM
Need a detailed explanation e-GMATers please help.
How can we imply that televisions are the primary source of entertainment?
How the increase in other entertainment gadgets leads to decrease in average number of television sets per household?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts