Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 10:09

Today

Waiting for Decisions? Join us in the chat | All GMAT Club Tests are Free and Open

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For the first time in history, more televisions than people

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

For the first time in history, more televisions than people [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 11:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (02:37) correct 42% (01:36) wrong based on 16 sessions
For the first time in history, more televisions than people can be found in American households. According to recent research, the average household has 2.55 residents and contains 2.73 televisions. However, by employing such costly manufacturing processes as plasma technology and flat screens, televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consumer. As a result, the average number of residents per household will again surpass the number of televisions.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument above?

1) House parties at which numerous individuals gather to view popular television shows on one television set have increased three hundred percent during the past year.

2) More than one million legal immigrants enter the United States each year.

3) New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased for use as a primary source of information and entertainment.

4) As new technologies become more commonplace, manufacturing and retail costs normally decline.

5) As a result of technological advances, new televisions are increasingly enabled with some features, such as Internet browsing, traditionally associated with other household devices.

i don't agree with the OA or OE! (forces us to make additional assumption)
please explain your answers, thanks :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - more tv than residents [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 11:47
beckee529 wrote:
For the first time in history, more televisions than people can be found in American households. According to recent research, the average household has 2.55 residents and contains 2.73 televisions. However, by employing such costly manufacturing processes as plasma technology and flat screens, televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consumer. As a result, the average number of residents per household will again surpass the number of televisions.

1) House parties at which numerous individuals gather to view popular television shows on one television set have increased three hundred percent during the past year.

3) New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased for use as a primary source of information and entertainment.

4) As new technologies become more commonplace, manufacturing and retail costs normally decline.

5) As a result of technological advances, new televisions are increasingly enabled with some features, such as Internet browsing, traditionally associated with other household devices.

i think its E..cuz E only establishes some connection of tv wid technology...others r irrelevant
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 11:51
I would go for 3 (or C)
If you consider television a primary source of information and entertainment , handheld devices can be considered a subsitute for televisions

It's far fetched but is the only acceptable answer to me

1-people from houseparties are not residents
2-no support for argument
4-weakens argument, lower cost, higher demand
5-no support

What's the source of this question?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - more tv than residents [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 11:55
12345678 wrote:
i think its E..cuz E only establishes some connection of tv wid technology...others r irrelevant

how would this support the decrease of the ratio (number of tv)/( numbers of residents)?
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - more tv than residents [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 11:59
beckee529 wrote:

C from me
My assumption: not many people will not buy new TV as much
B is irrelevant
D and E is actually weakens the argument
A is irrelevant.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 12:01
ronron wrote:
I would go for 3 (or C)
If you consider television a primary source of information and entertainment , handheld devices can be considered a subsitute for televisions

It's far fetched but is the only acceptable answer to me

1-people from houseparties are not residents
2-no support for argument
4-weakens argument, lower cost, higher demand
5-no support

What's the source of this question?

ahh..realized my mistake..good explanation
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 12:10
Among all options given, only C makes sense though it has an underlying assumption that TV were the primary source of information and entertainment.

So C.

- Brajesh
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - more tv than residents [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 12:18
beckee529 wrote:

I say C.

We are tryin to support the conclusion that ppl will again outnumber tvs.

A: Irrelevant. People could still own lots of TVs
B: Irrelevant. These immigrants could buy TVs. and whose to say these immigrants are apart of the offical population etc...
D: This weakens the conclusion.
E: Irrelevant. Doesn't say anything about drop in TVs.

C says that people will turn to other forms of electronics for entertainment, thus probably dropping the % of TV's.

It does require some bit of an additional assumption, but it supports the argument the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - more tv than residents [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 13:20
:cry: I find A as the best option.

Reason: The argument behind conclusion is that less ppl are purchasing TV 'cause TV' has become too costly to purchase for a typical consumer.
televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consumer. As a result, the average number of residents per household will again surpass the number of televisions.

So to strenghten the argument, correct answer will suggest that ppl are unwillingly refraining from purchasing new TV set ( not by choice).

Now look at options:

B. Too weak. At best it suggests that number of resident is increasing, nothing else. OUT

C. Eyecatcher for sure BUT..
First, it doesn't suggest that ppl are getting same kind of entertainment and information services as they get on TV.
TV word isn't even mentioned in this option.
Second, C suggest that ppl are not buying TV sets by choice not because they cant afford it ( money factor).
Apart from that it doesn't mention that increase in the sale of new devices will continue in future and question ask you to prove that in future number of viewers will surpass number of TV set.

D. Crap.

E. Again crap.

Now my selection, A.

Number of household parties has increased 300%.To me, It is too large an increase to assume that this is because of some trend. It suggests that ppl are very much willing to watch shows on TV sets but since they dont have one they are attending such household parties.

Anyway, this is my reasoning. If OA isn't A, and if I encounter this question on GMAT then I would surely have atleast one wrong that means no 800 :p
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 11:37
hi guys.. the OA is C. I didn't like any of their answer choices. I got this from MGMAT crit reasoning question bank. here is the OE they give (which I do not agree with)

Although televisions currently outnumber residents in the average American household, the argument concludes that this fact will soon be reversed. The correct answer choice must strengthen the conclusion that the average household will again contain more residents than television sets. <- agreed

(A) This choice is irrelevant to the conclusion. The fact that individuals increasingly enjoy watching popular shows in the company of others does not affect how many televisions these individuals possess in their places of residence.

(B) This choice simply expresses a fact about U.S. demographics. However, nothing indicates that these immigrants alter the purchasing behavior of televisions by American consumers.

(C) CORRECT. This choice indicates that new devices are replacing the main function of the television: a primary source of information and entertainment. This fact, in combination with the increasing expense of television sets, supports the conclusion that fewer televisions will be purchased in the future. <- i don't agree with that bold part

(D) This choice weakens the conclusion by undermining a premise on which the conclusion is based. If retail costs for televisions were to decline, consumers would not be less likely to purchase televisions in the future.

(E) This choice is irrelevant to the argument. Even if televisions take on some roles associated with other household devices, we cannot claim that there will be fewer television sets per household as a result; indeed, there may be more television sets per household, if television sets can do a greater variety of tasks.

i guess C is the best out of the bunch =\
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 20

Re: [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 09:02
beckee529 wrote:
hi guys.. the OA is C. I didn't like any of their answer choices. I got this from MGMAT crit reasoning question bank. here is the OE they give (which I do not agree with)

(C) CORRECT. This choice indicates that new devices are replacing the main function of the television: a primary source of information and entertainment. This fact, in combination with the increasing expense of television sets, supports the conclusion that fewer televisions will be purchased in the future. <- i don't agree with that bold part

It is absolutely fine because the question stem states "which of the following, IF TRUE..." meaning, you can assume they are FACTS and can take for granted.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 52

Re: For the first time in history, more televisions than people [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 12:37
+1 for C. if other devices are used for intertainment and information, then number of televisions used will decline and eventually number of people per house will increase

Sky is the limit

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: For the first time in history, more televisions than people [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 12:15
I still think it should be E

whole point is "employing costly manufacturing processes like plasma technology and flat screens, televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consumer".

Now E suggests,
As a result of technological advances, new televisions are increasingly enabled with some features, such as Internet browsing, traditionally associated with other household devices.

new features in the TV can make it more expensive and leads to lower purchase by the customers.

this looks more close to the argument at hand than C..
What say??
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GMAT 1: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.63
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 571 [0], given: 182

Re: For the first time in history, more televisions than people [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 06:10
C for me. It supports by adding additional information that people will not buy TV more becaz New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased.

Practice Makes a Man Perfect. Practice. Practice. Practice......Perfectly

Critical Reasoning: best-critical-reasoning-shortcuts-notes-tips-91280.html

Collections of MGMAT CAT: collections-of-mgmat-cat-math-152750.html

MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-of-fourth-edition-152753.html

Sentence Correction: sentence-correction-strategies-and-notes-91218.html

Arithmatic & Algebra: arithmatic-algebra-93678.html

Helpful Geometry formula sheet: best-geometry-93676.html

I hope these will help to understand the basic concepts & strategies. Please Click ON KUDOS Button.

Re: For the first time in history, more televisions than people   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2013, 06:10