Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 107 [3] , given: 2

For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 08:27
3
This post received
KUDOS
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

89% (01:34) correct 11% (01:17) wrong based on 71 sessions
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in
California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from
nearly there-quarters only a decade ago.

A. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from
nearly three-quarters only a decade ago
B. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a
decade ago, when it was nearly three-quarters
C. and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a
decade ago, when they were nearly three-quarters
D. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly
three-quarters a decade ago
E. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it
was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Posts: 206
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - modern era [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 13:09
saravalli wrote:
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in
California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from
nearly there-quarters only a decade ago.

A. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from
nearly three-quarters only a decade ago
B. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a
decade ago, when it was nearly three-quarters
C. and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a
decade ago, when they were nearly three-quarters
D. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly
three-quarters a decade ago
E. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it
was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters


between D and E, I choose E. E is wordy but seems more clear.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 782
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - modern era [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 16:41
A , B and C each have the modifier problem.

E is wordy

D succinctly conveys the meaning.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC - modern era [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 18:08
gmat blows wrote:
saravalli wrote:
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in
California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from
nearly there-quarters only a decade ago.

A. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from
nearly three-quarters only a decade ago
B. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a
decade ago
, when it was nearly three-quarters
C. and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a
decade ago
, when they were nearly three-quarters
D. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly
three-quarters a decade ago
E. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it
was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters


between D and E, I choose E. E is wordy but seems more clear.


Cany anyone help me what wrong with "which" in A, and B?. I think "which amounts" here functions the same as "amounting".
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Kolkata
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 66

Re: SC - modern era [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 18:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
A and b are wrong because a comma before which indiacates it is referring to the antecedent which is california here whereas not referring to the non-hispanic whites so teh usage of which is wrong here.D on the other hand,is precise and to the point.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Posts: 52
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - modern era [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 06:05
Thank you for the great explanation suyashjhawar. Was confused between 'A' and 'D.'

Also, can the word 'only' be considered redundant here since we are saying 'down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago?' Had option 'A' also started with 'amounting,' could we have disapproved 'A' based on the additional word 'only?'
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [5] , given: 0

Re: SC - modern era [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 22:19
5
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,

There is nothing called wordy in SC. These are all misleading statements.

We all know why we dont choose A B or C. Between D and E. We choose D because E changes the meaning of the sentence. If you look closely, E says it has come down by three quarters where as it should be down from nearly three quarters since it has been compared to one half.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Akash
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting on
Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Posts: 318
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: SC - modern era [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 04:27
D is the best among the given.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 75
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 3

Re: SC - modern era [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 05:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
akashgupta wrote:
Guys,

There is nothing called wordy in SC. These are all misleading statements.

We all know why we dont choose A B or C. Between D and E. We choose D because E changes the meaning of the sentence. If you look closely, E says it has come down by three quarters where as it should be down from nearly three quarters since it has been compared to one half.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Akash


Hi ,

You are right. Moreover, 'amounting to ', 'down from', 'by nearly three...' does not seem to be in synch. I mean no proper meaning is conveyed. A, B and C are incorrect for obvious reasons mentioned above. Clearly D. What is the OA for this?

Regards
Sony
_________________

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to take a turn.....

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1560
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - modern era [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 07:43
D for me. reasons already explained.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: GMAT_Hound
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 339
Location: India
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 12:12
Expert's post
what is the difference between this amounts and amounting to ?
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 838
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 12:38
[quote="WaterFlowsUp"]what is the difference between [b]this amounts and amounting to[/b] ?[/quote]

AMMOUNTS TO:==>Here amounts is acting as a verb....and ammounts to means SUMS TO

AMMOUNTING]:==>THIS IS A PARTICIPLE. and ammounting to means summing to..

both have almost the same meaning only difference is one is acting as a verb and other as a participle.

hope it helps
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 292

Re: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 15:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
in A and B - which refers back to california which is wrong.
in C that makes the sentence unclear and wordy
in E the addition of It has no clear referent (population or state)
thus D IMO is the right choice
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: GMAT_Hound
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 339
Location: India
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 20:49
Expert's post
mbhussain , good point that i dint notice.
Which has an ambigous antecedant
and in it also has the same ambuguity
whereas D makes sense
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: GMAT_Hound
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 339
Location: India
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 20:50
Expert's post
Shailesh,

one is verb and the other is adjectice , got it , thanks. But how does it make it wrong? please explain
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 232
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 40

Re: SC - modern era [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 11:00
gmat blows wrote:
saravalli wrote:
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in
California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from
nearly there-quarters only a decade ago.

A. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from
nearly three-quarters only a decade ago
B. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a
decade ago, when it was nearly three-quarters
C. and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a
decade ago, when they were nearly three-quarters
D. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly
three-quarters a decade ago
E. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it
was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters


between D and E, I choose E. E is wordy but seems more clear.



E changes the meaning of the statement, the non-hispanic white population is down FROM 3/4 to less than 1/2 today. E would change it to the white population being down BY 3/4
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Posts: 82
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 47

Re: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 07:41
D...is correct

E..'.it is a preposition'....has many antecedents

one preposition = one antecedent
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 2296
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2014, 14:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2014, 14:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 In the modern era, society should accept the premise that nikhilfotedar 16 19 Aug 2010, 09:52
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites KC 4 31 Oct 2006, 08:06
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites Gauss 9 19 Jul 2006, 15:48
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites gamjatang 8 17 Nov 2005, 17:26
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites okdongdong 11 05 Aug 2005, 06:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.