Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: McCombs, ISB, Insead, LBS
WE 1: 1.5
WE 2: 5.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 94

GMAT Tests User
For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (02:03) correct 33% (01:09) wrong based on 15 sessions
Here is a MGMAT question that I got in my CAT test. I want to believe MGMAT knows (way!!!) more about CR than I do. But I can't understand their logic on this question. Can someone please enlighten me?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made regular delivery trips between Town A and Town B. The average time taken by the company’s drivers to drive the round trip between the two towns, excluding the time taken for loading, unloading, and delivery, over that period has been 80 minutes. John, a driver for XYZ, needs to make a personal trip between the two towns; he figures that he should allow approximately 80 minutes for the round trip.

Which of the following, if true, does not call John’s conclusion into question?

A) The route between Town A and Town B has been plagued by increasing congestion over the last five years, as the area's population has doubled during that time.

B) Most of XYZ’s courier vehicles are heavy trucks, for which speed limits are lower than for passenger vehicles.

C) Many of the packages carried by XYZ between Town A and Town B are large, high-security packages, for which the processes of loading, unloading, and delivery can take up to half the length of the trip itself.

D) John will make his personal trip at an hour when XYZ does not make delivery trips.

E) Before a freeway was built between Town A and Town B two years ago, the only routes between the two towns were state highways with multiple traffic lights and reduced-speed downtown zones.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

You can see from the number of "Kudos Given" on my profile that I am generous while giving Kudos. Is it too much to ask for a similar favor???

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 253 [1] , given: 11

Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
As the packing, loading, and delivery time is not taken into account for calculating the average time that John uses as a reference, option (C) should be the correct choice. Option (C) refers to the packing, loading, and delivery time which is irrelevant to the calculation, and so does not call John's conclusion into question.

All of the other choices create a chance that the time taken as reference by John is not correct due to various factors.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 07:17
First thing, please give your reasoning why you do not understand the choices. Which choice you reasoning said correct. I faced this one yesterday, and choice C is really the best choice, which does not affect anything to the personal trip of driver mentioned in the argument.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 94

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 08:44
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I was struggling to make up my mind between B and E and they I saw the answer C which surprised me. I appears from your responses that you are dead sure C is a good choice. So I am thinking my approach towards CR questions is wrong.

"Which of the following, if true, does not call John’s conclusion into question?"

I read this as asking, which of the below if true would leave John with enough time to complete the trip?

Answer choice B suggests that John can travel faster in his personal vehicle and hence will complete the trip in shorter amount of time

Answer choice E suggests that the 5 year average of 80 mins is more constraining than what it takes now (since the freeway was built 2 years ago)

Am I completely out of my mind for thinking that way, or (though highly unlikely :( ) anyone else out there read this question like me

Thanks
Vijay

You can see from the number of "Kudos Given" on my profile that I am generous while giving Kudos. Is it too much to ask for a similar favor???

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 20:09
"does not call John’s conclusion into question" means which will not affect the John conclusion and option C is correct, since it will not modify the John calculation of 80 minute for round trip.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 37

Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
vbetanabhatla wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I was struggling to make up my mind between B and E and they I saw the answer C which surprised me. I appears from your responses that you are dead sure C is a good choice. So I am thinking my approach towards CR questions is wrong.

"Which of the following, if true, does not call John’s conclusion into question?"

I read this as asking, which of the below if true would leave John with enough time to complete the trip?

Answer choice B suggests that John can travel faster in his personal vehicle and hence will complete the trip in shorter amount of time

Answer choice E suggests that the 5 year average of 80 mins is more constraining than what it takes now (since the freeway was built 2 years ago)

Am I completely out of my mind for thinking that way, or (though highly unlikely :( ) anyone else out there read this question like me

Thanks
Vijay

Your paraphrase into this question "I read this as asking, which of the below if true would leave John with enough time to complete the trip?" is incorrect.

"Which of the following, if true, does not call John’s conclusion into question?" maybe become STRENGTHEN or NOT WEAKEN. The best way with this kind of question is use POE, eliminating all answer that call John's conclusion into question? Mean find all choice WEAKEN the conclusion.

Your reasoning in choice B and E is correct. Both of two choice WEAKEN the conclusion. So, eliminate.

Note: "Not attack" does not mean "defense". It maybe both "defense" and "stay".

Hope that helps.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
vbetanabhatla wrote:
Here is a MGMAT question that I got in my CAT test. I want to believe MGMAT knows (way!!!) more about CR than I do. But I can't understand their logic on this question. Can someone please enlighten me?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made regular delivery trips between Town A and Town B. The average time taken by the company’s drivers to drive the round trip between the two towns, excluding the time taken for loading, unloading, and delivery, over that period has been 80 minutes. John, a driver for XYZ, needs to make a personal trip between the two towns; he figures that he should allow approximately 80 minutes for the round trip.

Which of the following, if true, does not call John’s conclusion into question?

A) The route between Town A and Town B has been plagued by increasing congestion over the last five years, as the area's population has doubled during that time.

B) Most of XYZ’s courier vehicles are heavy trucks, for which speed limits are lower than for passenger vehicles.

C) Many of the packages carried by XYZ between Town A and Town B are large, high-security packages, for which the processes of loading, unloading, and delivery can take up to half the length of the trip itself.

D) John will make his personal trip at an hour when XYZ does not make delivery trips.

E) Before a freeway was built between Town A and Town B two years ago, the only routes between the two towns were state highways with multiple traffic lights and reduced-speed downtown zones.

John's conclusion - it should take same amount of time for his personal trip as it does for the deliveries.
Question - Which one does NOT WEAKEN John's conclusion.

A) The average time taken over the past five years has been 80 minutes. The population and congestion also has increased over the past five years. Worst case scenario - population stayed the same over 4 out of 5 years, but doubled just last year. So, say it used to take 40 minutes before and now takes about 120 minutes to deliver. Then it may weaken John's estimates that he can complete the trip in 80 minutes.

B) Delivery trucks are heavy and slow. Then they take more time than John's car to reach the destination. John would make the trip in less than 80 minutes. This strengthens his conclusion.

C) We know that the time taken for loading and unloading is not taken into consideration while calculating average delivery time for the company. This neither strengthens, nor weakens John's conclusion.

D) We don't know for sure what the consequences of this is going to be. If John is making personal trip at a busier hour, he would need more time, if not, he may complete the trip in less than 80 minutes. This can be viewed as an outside the scope option.

E) This means it used to take more than 80 minutes the first three years of the last five years, now it takes less. So, John would be able to complete the trip in less than the average time of 80 minutes.

Only (C) does NOT WEAKEN the conclusion and hence the right answer.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 09:13
Thanks guys.

I get it now (after forcing myself to think the way rest of the world is reading the question).Earlier, I read the question as "which of these strengthen his conclusion"?
I guess I should be reading the question as "which of these neither strengthen nor weaken his conclusion?"

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 37

Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 19:51
vbetanabhatla wrote:
I guess I should be reading the question as "which of these neither strengthen nor weaken his conclusion?"

Nope, NOT call into question mean NOT WEAKEN. NOT WEAKEN is NOT WEAKEN.

NOT WEAKEN cannot be NOT STRENGTHEN.

Your guess is only correct in this question. It will be better for you to read the CR Bible :)

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 07:24
tuanquang269 wrote:
vbetanabhatla wrote:

Nope, NOT call into question mean NOT WEAKEN. NOT WEAKEN is NOT WEAKEN.

NOT WEAKEN cannot be NOT STRENGTHEN.

Your guess is only correct in this question. It will be better for you to read the CR Bible :)

I have the MGMAT CR Guide, but did not think it was very useful. I love the rest of the guides though.
Do you know if CR Bible is vastly different from MGMAT CR???

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 09:27
C
We need to find an option which will NOT make john’s conclusion look wrong that is his idea that it will take his personnel vehicle approximately same time as the delivery vehicle
A if true makes john decision wrong
B again same if true will make john look wrong
C ) says abt loading and unloading time which john has actually already considered so C can be our answer
D ) and E also suffer from making john judgment look wrong
Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR?   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2011, 09:27