Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For the purposes of the model, the different areas would

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 723 [1] , given: 40

For the purposes of the model, the different areas would [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

35% (01:54) correct 65% (01:20) wrong based on 50 sessions
For the purposes of the model, the different areas would comprise a dividing line of a different colour between two blocks of the same colour.
A) a dividing line of a different colour between two blocks of the same colour
B) two same coloured blocks with a different coloured dividing line between them
C) two blocks of the same colour with a dividing line of a different colour between them
D) a different colour dividing line between two same colour blocks
E) a dividing line where the colour was different between two blocks where the colour was the same

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 08:57
My answer is B.

two same coloured blocks with a different coloured dividing line between them -> Precise and clear. Retains the original meaning.

+1Kudos, if this helps

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 723 [0], given: 40

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 23:10
OA is C. Style and || are followed.

C) two blocks of the same colour with a dividing line of a different colour between them

The introductory part says ...model, different areas would comprise....

So, to match with DIFFERENT AREAS and COMPRISE, we need two blocks. This rules out A, D and E. B is awkward.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 6

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 07:25
can someone provide a more detailed explanation of why C and not B?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 06:47
Yes I too can't understand why B is wrong. Please someone explain.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 22:07
I go for C. But, i don't have any rules for eliminating B. I think C is preferable to B. Can anyone explain what is wrong with B?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 0

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 03:05
This post received
KUDOS
ykaiim wrote:
For the purposes of the model, the different areas would comprise a dividing line of a different colour between two blocks of the same colour.
A) a dividing line of a different colour between two blocks of the same colour
B) two same coloured blocks with a different coloured dividing line between them
D) a different colour dividing line between two same colour blocks
E) a dividing line where the colour was different between two blocks where the colour was the same

The idiom is " COMPRISE OF...". SO B, D and E are out.

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 07:32
This question concentrates on Idiom and usage.

"same colored blocks" in B is awkward. Two Blocks of the same color" is better in usage.

A is wrong because it uses "different coloured dividing line" coloured and dividing are two entities describing the line.
D uses "A different colour dividing line" ans "same colour blocks" - very awkward usage
E goes past tense and idiomatically wrong

C is the Answer!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 382 [0], given: 0

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 02:44
Hundreds of my students are plagued by the word 'awkward'! That an expression is 'awkward' is one of the most frustrating explanations because it leaves the student with no logic to follow.

It is true that 'same colored blocks' is simply not an idiomatic structure. But the problem goes beyond awkwardness.

If I have the 'same colored markers' as you do, then do I have the same markers (what kind or markers? colored markers!) as you do? Or are my markers the same color as yours?

The structure 'same colored' is ambiguous because it is unclear whether 'same' describes 'colored' or the noun (blocks/markers) after the word 'colored'.

The other important issue in this problem is intended meaning. It is important to think about the sentence in terms of logical subject-verb-object.

The areas (subject) would comprise (verb) a line or blocks (object)? The areas would comprise the blocks, not the dividing line.

Sarai's SC Tip! While you cannot rely on your how a sentence sounds, you can rely on your comprehension as an intuitive crutch! The version of the sentence that is easiest for you to understand is probably the sentence that uses correct grammar!

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 04:11
"dividing" and "between" are redundant.
isn't it?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 23:47
Sarai Thanks for explanation .........
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 08:45
C it is.. I was clear bout C until I read B 2 times and it confused me totally..
But C would have been my final choice on the paper

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 109

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 09:41
+1 C

A, D and E change the meaning.
B is ambiguous.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: For the purposes of the model, the different   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2011, 09:41