Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 521 [0], given: 217

For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 16:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:41) correct 48% (00:36) wrong based on 197 sessions
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 4.69 KiB | Viewed 1227 times ]
For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on a circle, and line segment AB has length 18, what is the area of triangle ABC?

(1) Angle ABC measures 30°.
(2)The circumference of the circle is 18\pi.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 440 [2] , given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Area of Triangle ABC [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 16:46
This post received
KUDOS
Statement 1 is insufficient because--We are NOT given that the line segment AB=18 is the diameter of the circle,Hence we CANNOT assume that angle ACB is 90 (ONLY if the hypotenuse is the diameter then the angle opposite to it can be 90) and thus the 30-60-90 formula cannot be applied here using statement 1 alone.

by using statement 2 we can find the radius =9 ( C=2*pi*r=18 pi; r=9) , diameter = 18 , making AB the diameter (AB is given as 18) and thus angle ACB can be taken as 90 and using the info in statement 1 we can apply the 30-60-90 formula; get values of AC and BC and solve for the area of triangle ACB ( 0.5* AC *BC) .Answer C.

Hope it is clear now.

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Director
Director

Re: Area of Triangle ABC [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 17:12
But again the same question - in the question no where it says that line AB passes through the centre of the circle so how can we take it as a diameter?

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 249

Re: Area of Triangle ABC [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 17:26
enigma123 wrote:
But again the same question - in the question no where it says that line AB passes through the centre of the circle so how can we take it as a diameter?

The diameter is the longest chord/line segment of the circle and all lines passing through the center of the circle and touching the circumference will be the diameters-- that is, they will have the same length,
hence in this question too when we find that AB=18 then we NOW KNOW that it IS the diameter of the circle [NO other line can have a length greater than 18 , and all line less than 18 will not be diameters]

So we are NOT assuming AB to be the diameter, rather when we calculate that diameter =18 (from st.2 )and we are already given AB=18 (question stem) ,then we just put these 2 pieces of information together, to get AB=18=Diameter. Hope this helps.

Director
Director

Re: For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 17:34
Thanks dento for a thorough explanation.

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 249

Re: For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 13:13
ur welcome, hope I got the point across

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Doubt [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 20:58
Hi Guys,

Could you please clarify my doubt for the problem attached as a pic file?

My Doubt : Here the diagram itself shows AB is the diameter of the circle. And statement A confirms that it is a 30-60-90 triangle by mentioning about angle. Why can’t either statement A alone be sufficient.

Thanks,

Harikris
Attachments

Q2.JPG
Q2.JPG [ 19.48 KiB | Viewed 4031 times ]

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

Re: Doubt [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 01:36
harikris wrote:
Hi Guys,

My Doubt : Here the diagram itself shows AB is the diameter of the circle. And statement A confirms that it is a 30-60-90 triangle by mentioning about angle. Why can’t either statement A alone be sufficient.

Thanks,

Harikris

Just by seeing the diagram one cannot predict whether the line is diameter or not. untill and unless sthing is written either on the diagram or on the text one cannot say anything.
So for me 'C' will be the right choice.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: Doubt [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 01:54
jitgoel wrote:
harikris wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Harikris

Just by seeing the diagram one cannot predict whether the line is diameter or not. untill and unless sthing is written either on the diagram or on the text one cannot say anything.
So for me 'C' will be the right choice.

If the question stem never explicitly tells you that AB is the diameter of the circle, you can't assume that it is the diameter based on the diagram.

(1) Since you can't assume that AB is the diameter (and that ACB is 90 degrees), knowing that ABC is 30 degrees is insufficient.

(2) This statement establishes that ACB is 90 degrees, but that's all. Insufficient.

C. Need to establish that both ACB is 90 degrees and ABC is 30 degrees.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 241

Re: Doubt [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 02:32
harikris wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Harikris

Lets see one statement at a time.
Statement 1 - It just says that Angle B is 30 degrees but does not say whether AB is the diameter or not. it also doesn't say anything about angle A or C. Thus insufficient.

Statement 2 - circumference is 18pie i.e diameter = 18 which means AB is the diameter & angle C = 90. But it does not state anything about angle A or B. Thus insufficient.

Statement 1 & 2 - AB = diameter, angle B= 30 , C=90 & A=60. Using 30-60-90 we can calculate the area of the triangle.

Answer C
Hope it helps

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 5

Re: Doubt [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 07:57
The diagram is an illusion. AB really seems to be the diameter. One can easily ignore statement 2 and assume AB as diameter.

But careful thinking makes it clear that AB cannot be assumed as diameter unless we consider statement 2.
Then we can proceed to the solution with 60-90-30 degree angle.

As per me, we should be careful about such pitfall.

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 12:54
Hi,

Can we use the theorem(sorry I don't remember the name of the theorem) that states : the angle at the centre of a circle is twice the angle at the circumference if both angles stand on the same arc.
If yes , then is the option A not sufficient ?

Angle AOC = 60 (By the above stated theorem, Angle AOC = 2* Angle ABC)
Angle CAB = 60 (as the angle COB = 180 - Angle AOC = 120, By the above stated theorem, Angle COB = 2* Angle CAB)
Angle ACO = 60 (In triangle ACO, sum of the angles in a triangle = 180)
Angle BCO = 30 (In triangle BCO, sum of the angles in a triangle = 180)

Then it is 30-60-90 triangle , and we can calculate the area.

Regards,
Shikhar Hasija
Manager
Manager

Re: For the triangle shown above, where A, B and C are all [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 15:08
Answer is C IMO.

(1) ABC 60 deg, other angles of triangle could be anything. Could be equilateral triangle, could be 30-60-90. Insuff.

(2) circ is 18 pi tells us that AB is diameter or circle. Without any angles, triangle could be 30-60-90 or 45-45-90. Insuff.

Together, triangle is 30-60-90 with hypotenuse 18. Sufficient

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: For the triangle shown above, where A, B and C are all [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 15:22
@shikhar

That would work if you are given O (I'm guessing you're referring to the center of the circle) is on AB. If O does not lie on AB you wouldn't be able to establish angle COB.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: For the triangle shown above, where A, B and C are all [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 00:06
@HImba88 : Yes , you are correct :)

Regards,
Shikhar Hasija
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 09:46
I think C is not correct.

A alone is sufficient.

Hypotenuse is given = 18

we know that diameter makes a right angle over the circumference C = 90degree

so from A alone we conclude:

it is 30-60-90 triangle One side is known other two sides can be calculated, Hence area of triangle ABC can be calculated, Do you agree Bunuel?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3604

Kudos [?]: 28727 [0], given: 2839

Re: For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 08:15
Expert's post
honchos wrote:

A alone is sufficient.

Hypotenuse is given = 18

it is 30-60-90 triangle One side is known other two sides can be calculated, Hence area of triangle ABC can be calculated, Do you agree Bunuel?

Let me ask you a question: how do you know that AB is the diameter there? How do you know that the triangle is right angled?

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 23

Re: For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 16:59
Bunuel wrote:
honchos wrote:

A alone is sufficient.

Hypotenuse is given = 18

Let me ask you a question: how do you know that AB is the diameter there? How do you know that the triangle is right angled?

Not the original poster, but I have a similar questions:

1) Statement 1 says that ABC is 30 degree. Doesn't that imply that we have a 30,60,90? What makes it insufficient is that we don't know if 18 is the diameter, and therefore, we don't know if C or A is 90degree. Is that correct?

So in a nutshell, we can assume that it's a 30,60,90 b/c of the inscribed plus an angle given, but we just don't know where the 60 and 90 sit. Right?

2) Statement 2 states that 18 is the diameter.Doesn't that mean that C HAS to be 90 degrees? So regardless of what A is and what B is, don't we still get the base/height combo?

Thanks
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 20:06
@Russ9

"Not the original poster, but I have a similar questions:

1) Statement 1 says that ABC is 30 degree. Doesn't that imply that we have a 30,60,90? What makes it insufficient is that we don't know if 18 is the diameter, and therefore, we don't know if C or A is 90degree. Is that correct?

So in a nutshell, we can assume that it's a 30,60,90 b/c of the inscribed plus an angle given, but we just don't know where the 60 and 90 sit. Right?

I don't know how you get that, there is no rule that any triangle inscribed inside a circle should be a right triangle. if ABC is 30, why should the other two be 90,60? why not 100,50 or 80,70? how do you assert, that it implies that its a 30,60,90 triangle? Yes, if 18 is the diameter, then its a right triangle, then AB would be a right triangle.. otherwise it could be anything.

2) Statement 2 states that 18 is the diameter.Doesn't that mean that C HAS to be 90 degrees? So regardless of what A is and what B is, don't we still get the base/height combo?

yes in this case C is 90. and AB=18 is the diameter, but how will you calculate area with that? base/height combo? what is base and height here? how would you determine that? Do all right angles triangle with the same hypotenuse have the same area? No. We need at least one angle or at least the length of one of the sides to calculate the area.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2014, 08:07
After reading through the explanations above, I'm still confused as to why we can't assume outright that AB is the diameter since the stem tells us that points ABC are all on the circle. Isn't there a rule that when a triangle is inscribed in a circle it is automatically a right triangle?
Re: For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2014, 08:07