Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q41  V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: For those matriculating... the Right Way to Leave Your Job? [#permalink]
My boss wrote my recs, so he knew I was leaving since last June. I've also been narrowing down the date and worked out a part-time deal with my boss starting 3/10 until end of April. Then I leave for my 5 week trip to China and Asia (maybe meet up with Steel somewhere), spend thousands of $$, and then come back in mid-June to move out of my office and terminate the job.

I've been updating my boss every few weeks with my end date, so he knows quite well when I'm leaving.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
My boss wrote my recs, so he knew I was leaving since last June. I've also been narrowing down the date and worked out a part-time deal with my boss starting 3/10 until end of April. Then I leave for my 5 week trip to China and Asia (maybe meet up with Steel somewhere), spend thousands of $$, and then come back in mid-June to move out of my office and terminate the job.

I've been updating my boss every few weeks with my end date, so he knows quite well when I'm leaving.

Party on in Asia!

For those who might be in Thailand on June 18th.... https://fullmoonparty-thailand.com/index.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
I gave notice back in October. At that point it was "I am applying to school. If I get in I am going to school. Otherwise I will find a new job." So, I am going through the LONG, painful goodbye. My lat day will be may30. thank god
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
My resignation letter came complete with a "snide remark" about how prestigious the GSB is. I couldn't help myself.

It basically said:

"As we discussed, I have been admitted to the Chicago Graduate School of Management MBA program. As you may be aware, the GSB MBA programme is considered among the most prestigious and selective programs in the world, and as such, will demand substantial commitment on my part....

It is thus with regret...."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
I lucked out. My contract with my employer ends right before the MBA program begins. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
4 words for your last day.
"Fish behind the desk."

Will smell REAL nice in a bout a week.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
my boss and my ex-boss wrote my recs, so they know i will be going. They are still trying to convince me to stay. Gave me a decent pay rise :) and put me up for promotion, which is currently under review by a senior manager in a another country. Having said that, it will make little difference to me as i will leave no matter what, because a promotion will not move me towards the direction in career i want to go.

I won`t be handing in my notice for a while, i intend to leave June 30th. Unlike some of you lucky people with no other comittments, I have a second child due in a few weeks, so i need to keep the income rolling in, and no time for holidaying around the world.
Plan is to quit June 30th, already booked my flights to Hong Kong 2 days later, and will start apartment hunting as soon as I arrive. Help with the children for a month then start full time Mandarin lessons for a few weeks, before the MBA starts.

If anyone visits Japan or Hong Kong, I will try to meet up but no guarantees
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Steel wrote:
kryzak wrote:

Party on in Asia!

For those who might be in Thailand on June 18th.... https://fullmoonparty-thailand.com/index.html

Certainly looks like party on in Asia. If any of you guys visiting singapore then I would try to catch up...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
considering Singapore, so I'll let everyone know.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
My bosses have known I would leave for a b-school for two years already :shock: Ever since I was foolish enough to ask for a reco from a guy who couldn't keep his mouth shut 8-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Though my boss wrote my recommendations for me, I did not tell her I got into school until after bonus time. Since I applied to stretch schools the possibility of me not getting in was very real. This way I wouldn't get screwed out of my production bonus due to my imminent departure. I ended up giving notice in late February and am leaving April 30.

I still haven't given written notice though. Does anyone have any good examples they'd be willing to share?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
FYI...if you give notice and your firm tries to "save money in this down economy" and forces you to leave early, you are entitled to unemployment because you have essentially been fire since you didn't leave on your own terms.

I thought I would do the most ethical thing and give my company as much notice as I could so I told my old engr company two months in advance. Well the Director came up with a great idea of how to cut cost which included releasing me early. My boss went to bat for me and I was able to end on my terms but I definately was pissed about the conduct of the company through the situation. Redemption happened when my boss (75% of company portfolio under management) gave his minimum two-weeks notice and bolted while the company screamed at him that he had to give more notice. He smiled and said "I would but you would have fired me like Navy." Augh, revenge!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
navy01 wrote:
He smiled and said "I would but you would have fired me like Navy." Augh, revenge!!!

Ahh revenge is sweet! Nice story!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I just gave my notice yesterday, my last day will be Apr 30. My boss was surprised because I had my recs done by my previous employer and she didn't know I was applying to B-school. Their initial response was how are we going to find someone to replace you :shock: but then they congratulated me. I'm planning on travelling Europe for 5 weeks in May / June. Oh yeah, and I actually have to decide where I'll be headed this fall so I can make start to make some plans... :?

My letter for anyone who is interested.......

Dear Boss:
Over the past X years I have had the opportunity to work in several progressive roles at Company X. As we’ve discussed on several occasions, I recognize the importance of pursuing a graduate education in business in order for me to realize my long term career goals of XXXX.
I have decided that now is the time for me to take this next step in my career development and I have decided to pursue my MBA this year. As a result, I am writing to inform you that I will be resigning from my position as XXX at Company X, effective <<DATE>>.
My experience at Company X has been both rewarding and challenging and I am grateful for the opportunities that I have had to contribute to the success of the company. I look forward to following the continued success of Company X in the years to come.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I gave my two months' notice on Monday. My last day will be June 5--yay!! I've got a wedding in So Cal that weekend and then take off for 6 weeks through Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean. I'll be home for two weeks to celebrate my birthday with my friends/family and then will drive my car to Evanston. I've got a week to settle into my new apartment and then I'm off again for KWEST.

Since we're moving out of our apartment at the end of May, I'm essentially living out of a suitcase for three months.

I leave for two weeks in Costa Rica and Belize on Saturday morning. Can't wait!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
navy01 wrote:
He smiled and said "I would but you would have fired me like Navy." Augh, revenge!!!

That is so awesome! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Great topic..

Am in a sticky situation.. My company doesnt know that i am attending b School this fall (i had my recos done by my former boss and clients)

I am an international and cannot get my F-1 till i get my loan approved (Citi assist loan whose application will be avaible only in mid july), so i definitely cant get my Visa till Aug. I dont want to give my notice before I get my F-1 ( Visa gods are known to be fickle in India)

My company requires a 3 month notice (ridiculously long if u ask me) which can be negotiated to a month.

If i give my notice now for say July end, and (God Forbid) my F -1 gets rejected, then i am in a sticky situation of not having a job or the MBA option. I hold an H1-B sponsored by my company, and dont want to lose that either. I have a new Boss and not sure how he would react to my hints of quitting.

Any internationals in the same situation?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4