Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 87
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 08:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:39) correct 33% (00:00) wrong based on 5 sessions
12. Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
(A) Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
(B) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.
(C) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.
(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.
(E) New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 513
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 08:44
The Answer is between C & D. C has an idiom issue the correct idiom is same to x as to y.. and not same x as y

Hence D is better
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 87
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 08:48
However In option D them can refer to formulas as well as to the small businesses.
this is what i thought is wrong with option D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 283
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 12:23
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
However In option D them can refer to formulas as well as to the small businesses.
this is what i thought is wrong with option D.


IMO D is the correct answer

In D them refers to the formulas only (its a sub ordinate clause in which them is used and hence has to refer to formulas only)

i hope i m correct on this one

please post the OA for this
_________________

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 87
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 05:05
vdhawan1 wrote:
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
However In option D them can refer to formulas as well as to the small businesses.
this is what i thought is wrong with option D.


IMO D is the correct answer

In D them refers to the formulas only (its a sub ordinate clause in which them is used and hence has to refer to formulas only)

i hope i m correct on this one

please post the OA for this


Aaaha!!!! ..Now it makes sense to me .. Thanks :-D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 05:12
isn't "them" referring to "small businesses" in D
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 05:46
vdhawan1 wrote:
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
However In option D them can refer to formulas as well as to the small businesses.
this is what i thought is wrong with option D.


IMO D is the correct answer

In D them refers to the formulas only (its a sub ordinate clause in which them is used and hence has to refer to formulas only)

i hope i m correct on this one

please post the OA for this

I think you chose the right answer but I disagree with the reasoning.
If them refers to formulas then the sentence does not convey any logical meaning.
Because new small businesses are X, formulas .. do not apply to them(formulas?) in the same way as to established big businesses. (formulas do not apply to formulas..weird)

Therefore, 'them' must refer to small businesses. D for me.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 161
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 06:31
Quote:
(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.


here them refers to small businesses and agree with Option D.

OA pls
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 87
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 22:32
OA is D.

But then .. isn't the use of them ambiguous in D. Then in that case it shouldn't be the answer.
May be cuz it is the best option amongst all.Thats y its the answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Posts: 62
Location: Houston TX
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 22:54
I think the ans is D and "them" refers to "small business"
_________________

haveaniceday

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 87
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 00:49
Well i figured why them cannot refer to formulas.
since formulas is the subject of the subordinate clause if them were to refer to formulas it would have been themselves and not them .
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 770
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 12:11
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
Well i figured why them cannot refer to formulas.
since formulas is the subject of the subordinate clause if them were to refer to formulas it would have been themselves and not them .



is the above logic true? can some one explain me why D is correct?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1550
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 07:06
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
Well i figured why them cannot refer to formulas.
since formulas is the subject of the subordinate clause if them were to refer to formulas it would have been themselves and not them .


you're wrong, the subordinate clause in option D is "Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium." The rule is that the subordinate clause (or the dependant clause) + comma + independant clause, which is the case in option D. Can someone explain why and how "them" is appropriate in option D?

Last edited by tarek99 on 09 Jun 2009, 07:21, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1550
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 07:17
bhatiagp wrote:
The Answer is between C & D. C has an idiom issue the correct idiom is same to x as to y.. and not same x as y

Hence D is better


I don't think so. I've just looked up the use of idioms and found that the correct idiom is "To X is to Y". In your example, how would you apply it to opton D?

and if you are right, then may be it should be "to x same as to y"

suppose it's true that it's suppose to be "to x same as to y": because our y in this case is "established big businesses", and we know that we can only compare things that are similar, than it's MUST be another business, which is, in the case of our sentence, "new small businesses."

any thoughts on that? please share!
Re: SC- Formulas for cash flow   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2009, 07:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do fanatico 5 15 Mar 2011, 19:24
Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do xmagedo 2 03 Jul 2010, 17:45
Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do goalsnr 8 24 Feb 2008, 15:26
Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do u2lover 1 23 Jun 2006, 20:17
Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do NEWKID 5 29 Sep 2004, 20:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.