Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 827 [115]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [40]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [25]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [7]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a millio [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Lolaergasheva wrote:
Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have been recovered by paleontologists.

A. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have

B. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and then was subsequently butchered by hominids has

C. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago, which was subsequently butchered by hominids, has

D. having been beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and subsequently butchered by hominids, have

E. having beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and then subsequently were butchered by hominids have

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning is that a whale beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids, and its fossils have been recovered by paleontologists.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Parallelism + Verb Forms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.
• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("and then" in this sentence) must be parallel.
• "which/who/whose/where" when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun "Fossils" with the plural verb "have been recovered" and to the singular noun "whale" with the singular verb "was butchered". Further, Option A uses the phrase "and was subsequently butchered by hominids", conveying the intended meaning - that the whale was subsequently butchered by hominids. Additionally, Option A correctly uses the simple past tense verbs "beached" and "was butchered" to refer to actions that concluded in the past. Option A also maintains parallelism between "beached on an African shore more than a million years ago" and "was subsequently butchered by hominids". Besides, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "Fossils" with the singular verb "has been recovered". Further, Option B redundantly uses "then" alongside "subsequently", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "Fossils" with the singular verb "has been recovered". Further, Option C incorrectly modifies "more than a million years ago" with the phrase "which was subsequently butchered by hominids", producing an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the whale was subsequently butchered by hominids; remember, "which/who/whose/where" when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to actions that concluded in the past with the present participle ("verb+ing" - "having" in this sentence) phrases "having been beached" and "having been...butchered"; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "whale with the plural verb "were butchered". Further, Option E fails to maintain parallelism between "having beached on an African shore more than a million years ago" and "were butchered by hominids"; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and then" in this sentence) must be parallel. Additionally, Option E redundantly uses "then" alongside "subsequently", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Which, Who, Whose, and Where" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Originally posted by ExpertsGlobal5 on 30 Aug 2022, 03:05.
Last edited by ExpertsGlobal5 on 05 Sep 2022, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a millio [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
'That' is a relative pronoun which refers to the preceeding word. Therefore in this case that is refering to whales.

D & E are out - inadequate use of 'having been'.
Fossils is plural and requires have and not has - S&V agreement;B & C are out.
The sentence has a passive tone and requires simple past. Therefore 'was subsequently butchered' is used.

A overcomes all the mentioned errors
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [11]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Re: Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a millio [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Lolaergasheva wrote:
Fossils of a whale <<that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have>> been recovered by paleontologists.

A. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have

B. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and then was subsequently butchered by hominids has

C. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago, which was subsequently butchered by hominids, has

D. having been beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and subsequently butchered by hominids, have

E. having beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and then subsequently were butchered by hominids have

This example was posted earlier, the oa is A
Can somebody explain why usage of <<was>> is correct?

You ask a good question here, and although others have given completely correct explanations I want to boil it down to a key point:

Unless there is a clear reason to use a more complex tense, you want to use the simplest tense possible. In this example, the whale beached (simple past tense) and was butchered (simple past tense). This is clear, parallel, and simple.

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Fossils of a whale that (beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids) have been recovered by paleontologists.

"was subsequently ......" is parallel with "beached on an ..." and describes "whale".
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sudeep wrote:
Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have been recovered by paleontologists.

The subject of the sentence is Fossils, not Whale. So, the correct form of "have" should be "have", not "has". Hence, eliminate B and C.

In choice D and E, HAVING BEEN makes sense that the verb beached already happen and ambiguously modified either FOSSILS or WHALE. Therefore, we can eliminate choice D and E.

The remain correct one is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos
My doubt is related to the usage of "that" in this problem.

Is there any difference between the below two sentences? ( I intentionally removed "subsequently")

1. Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was butchered by hominids have been recovered by paleontologists.

2. Fossils of a whale beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and butchered by hominids have been recovered by paleontologists.

My doubt is can we always replace a "that clause modifying a noun" with an "-ed modifier" ?

I want to quote another example from an official question.

1. Neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions.
2. Neutrinos are harmless elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions.

I fee there is a difference in the above two sentences. Kindly comment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Lolaergasheva wrote:
Fossils of a whale <<that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have>> been recovered by paleontologists.

This example was posted earlier, the oa is A
Can somebody explain why usage of <<was>> is correct?

this is a case in which a modifier is far away from the noun. ex :
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Send PM
Could somebody help me on the below, please?

Is there any difference between the below two sentences? ( I intentionally removed "subsequently")

1. Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was butchered by hominids have been recovered by paleontologists.

2. Fossils of a whale beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and butchered by hominids have been recovered by paleontologists.

My doubt is: can we always replace a "that clause modifying a noun" with an "-ed modifier" ?

1. Neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions.

I feel there is a difference in the above two sentences. Kindly comment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [7]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatter0913 wrote:
Could somebody help me on the below, please?

My doubt is: can we always replace a "that clause modifying a noun" with an "-ed modifier" ?

I feel there is a difference in the above two sentences. Kindly comment.

Hello gmatter0913

Here is my take on your sentences. I hope you'll find my explanations useful.

Lets take these sentences first-

Now, your question is Can "That" be removed in this construction. The short answer is "Yes".
Because, "produced" in sentence 2 is working as Past Participle, and past participles "ed forms" are used for receiving the action i.e Nouns in question must act as Object.
If in doubt..Ask Did Elementary particles produced something?? The answer is No, rather they are being produced in Nuclear Reactions. Hence, "Produced" is working as Past Participle.
Second Trick: Whenever you see that+is/am/are/was/were, you can safely remove "that+ verb", because this is the construction used in passive voice, and ed modifiers just do the same. i.e represent Passive Voice.

Second Set - Lets analyze each sentence individually here,

Here, beached is working as VERB- How?because "That " is a relative modifier modifying "Whale". If in doubt, who beached on African Shore -> Whale -> Subject.
was butchered -> verb.
Now, your question" Can That be Removed here"? -> I would say No, because then the sentence would be Fragment. I mean, subject Verb pair would not be same.
Lets Remove "That", so the sentence would become

Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was butchered by hominids have been recovered by paleontologists.

Lets Find - Subject verb pair -
Fossils - have been
What is the subject of beached ann was butchered? Fossils or Whale? It shoule be Fossils because subject doesn't reside in Prepositional phrase. Hence , the construction is wrong. Retrospectively, if you see, that is in ellipsis. See below.

Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and{that} was butchered by hominids have been recovered by paleontologists.

Lets analyze this one -
Firstly, beached is following the same logic as above. i.e. what is the subject of this verb? Fossils or Whale.
Secondly- "butchered" here is working as Participle not verb. because the whole sentence is in passive voice. Have provided an explanation above.
Let me know if it makes sense. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
1. You said that beached is a verb here [I agree.]
Clause: Whale(Subj) that beached(Verb) on an African shore more than a million years ago and [that] was(verb) butchered (verb) by hominids.

My question here is: Why is it "beached" and not "was beached"? Is there any change in the meaning if I say the below:
Fossils of a [whale that was beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was butchered by hominids] have been recovered by paleontologists. --> [color=#7b2e00]This is not making any sense. This means that Whale didn't do the action of beaching and someone else helped Whale in doing the action. Here, beached is equivalent to "Swam"

[/color]
I understand that it is the whale that did the action "beached", whereas "butchered" has to be in passive because it is done by "hominids". Am I correct? --> This is the correct understanding.

In such case, will the 3rd sentence (posted below) be wrong?
Fossils of a [whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and butchered by hominids] have been recovered by paleontologists. -> This is wrong because of Parallelism. We need verb not Participle. Butchered is Past Participle here

Because this sentence says - "whale butchered by hominids" - not, "whale [that] was butchered by hominids". Honestly, I am not seeing a difference between "whale butchered by hominids" and "whale [that] was butchered by hominids". --> that is how past participle works.

See, whale butchered by Hominids. Ask.. who butchered.. and you l get the reply.. Homininds.. so, who done the action --> Hominids and whom the action have been done..? Its on WHALE. .. right.. So, Whale is not the subject... IT is the object who is recieving the ACTION(butchered).. right. So, the phrase butchered by Hominids is nothing but a modifier.

So, in that case why can't we also say "whale that was beached"?

Here, -- "was beached" is Passive Voice, depicting the action of beached is done by someone else not by WHALE. However,the action is done by "Whale", and you need a VERB. Hence, it is incorrect.

Generally, two issues usually go hand in hand in such questions --
One is parallelism and another is verb.

Let me know if it makes sense, else feel free to post your doubts. [/color]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Great explanation!! Thanks a lot, and I promise this is the last post. :-D Just need a confirmation from you.

So, you're saying:

1. Fossils of a [whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and butchered by hominids] have been recovered by palaeontologists.
The above sentence is wrong because "that" will be carried to the second part "[that] butchered by hominids". In such case, we have to use the verb "was butchered", and we cannot "that + past participle(butchered)". Is my understanding correct?

I didn't think that "that" would be carried to the second part "was butchered". "that" in ellipsis tricked me.
Lesson Learnt: Both of them have to be participles or verbs. Parallelism.

Following are the four cases on which I need your confirmation and comments.

1. participle + participle construction
Fossils of a [whale beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and butchered by hominids] have been recovered by palaeontologists.
In the above sentence, both "beached" and "butchered" are past participles.The above sentence is a right construction.

2. verb+ verb construction
Fossils of a [whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and (that) was butchered by hominids] have been recovered by palaeontologists. This is correct construction.

3. verb + participle construction
Fossils of a [whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and butchered by hominids] have been recovered by palaeontologists. This is wrong as we require a verb in the second part because "that" is carried (ellipsis).Earlier, I thought this construction is valid. Lesson learnt.

4. participle + verb construction
Need your comment on the below

Fossils of a [whale beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was butchered by hominids] have been recovered by palaeontologists.
This is wrong as we don't have a object for "was butchered"

Fossils of a [whale beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and that was butchered by hominids] have been recovered by palaeontologists.
Is this a valid construction? Can "that" work as an object here? I assumed "beached" and "was" are parallel, and hence "that" may refer to "whale"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [3]
Send PM
Kudos