Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 13:40
A seems to have a problem with commas. It is really correct to use a comma before "and".

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 20

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 04:22
I kinda had a heart attack when I saw so many C's. :shock:
IMO D. :P
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 04:28
bmillan01 wrote:
This question can be found in the GMAT Review, 12th Edition. It is question number 78, and can be found on pages 672 and 724, the latter containing the OA. The correct answer is D.

Thanks for confirming that. My pick is D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 08:35
Easy issue with E - which w/o coma in front of that word - WRONG
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1422 [0], given: 245

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:16
Expert's post
Let us first clear up a few things. This is not a test of the usage of ‘which’ or ‘that’. GMAT doesn’t test that aspect any more as it would not like to indulge in this controversial usage.

This is a clearly test of SV agreement, tense and idiom. What is the verb and what is its subject? Made is the verb and what made it the earliest mammals? The fossils made it (it stands for the sloth) because only fossils are dated and not any other thing. So the subject is the plural fossils and let us find the matching verb with a proper number and tense.

A. Sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of …. ‘Made it’ is wrong tense to use for something that was initiated in the past, and which remains even today so. The right tense should be the present perfect ‘have made’. Mammals of is unidiomatic

B. sloth that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on … Fossils …. Has been dated – S-V mis - match.

C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991 was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of …… Fossils … was dated –S-V mis-match and use of past tense which is wrong.

D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on……. Correct number agreement, proper tense usage and right idiom – the perfect choice

E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of….. Fossils was dated SV mis - match , wrong tense and wrong idiom

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:58
+1 D

Please, use reliable sources!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 20

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 21:13
daagh wrote:
Let us first clear up a few things. This is not a test of the usage of ‘which’ or ‘that’. GMAT doesn’t test that aspect any more as it would not like to indulge in this controversial usage.

This is a clearly test of SV agreement, tense and idiom. What is the verb and what is its subject? Made is the verb and what made it the earliest mammals? The fossils made it (it stands for the sloth) because only fossils are dated and not any other thing. So the subject is the plural fossils and let us find the matching verb with a proper number and tense.

A. Sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of …. ‘Made it’ is wrong tense to use for something that was initiated in the past, and which remains even today so. The right tense should be the present perfect ‘have made’. Mammals of is unidiomatic

B. sloth that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on … Fossils …. Has been dated – S-V mis - match.

C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991 was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of …… Fossils … was dated –S-V mis-match and use of past tense which is wrong.

D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on……. Correct number agreement, proper tense usage and right idiom – the perfect choice

E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of….. Fossils was dated SV mis - match , wrong tense and wrong idiom

i understand it is D. .. but can you or some one give an explanation on the tense... you have mentioned 'incorrect tense'.. 'proper tense'.. without any explanation of why & what type of tense is required here, will some explain it with a timeline, how present perfect is correct here.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 04:37
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.

A. sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of
- the sentence is correct on the subject - verb agreement front. however, 'it' is ambiguous here in that sloth is not the subject of the sentence. it is object of the preposition. though it CAN act as an antecedent, a choice that replaces the pronoun with the sloth would be better.
B. sloth, that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on
- subject and verb do not agree. The subject is fossils, verb has is incorrect. also, this choice is wordy.

C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of - subject verb agreement. Fossils was is incorrect. also, this pronoun cannot be used as a noun. it can be used as an adjective only. the correct use would be making it or making this sloth.

D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on - this choice is correct, subject and verb agree. and the sloth is introduced in place of the pronoun.

E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of - subject verb agreement issue, was dated is incorrect. introducing the sloth in place of the pronoun removes pronoun ambiguity though.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 00:24
D it is ..Was wondering when I saw too many C's..

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 15:51
I picked D.

Option E troubles me because of meaning..."mammal of" means that the sloth was only found in the Greater Antilles islands.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 23:26
It should be D although it is wordy etc. because of correct use of S-V number agreement!

Working towards a goal...
V.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 32

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 23:40
'was dated' is absurd. It still is dated at 34 million years old. So use of past tense is wrong.Continuous tense has to be used here.

Fossils are plural so 'has been dated is out' have been dated will be correct.

So between A & D.

A is passive. Confuses whether the sloth or the fossil was found in 1991. hence eliminate.

Left with D . Correct answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 05:38
IMO D......

E is wrong because it uses singlar verb "was"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 09:26
tenaman10 wrote:
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.
A. sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of
B. sloth, that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on
C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of
D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on
E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of

Another complex SC problem...

A) "and is superfluous, "it" is ambiguous (does it refer to the sloth or the fossils?). A is gone
B) "they" is ambiguous, who is it refering to? "has been" is incorrect, subject (fossils) and verb (has been dated) do not agree. B gone
C) "was dated" is wrong so we do not have s-v agreement. "this" at the end makes no sense since it is ambiguous as to what it refers to. C is gone
D) have been dated is correct, "making the sloth" removes any ambiguity we might have if we instead used a pronoun.
E) was dated does not give us correct s-v agreement.

D is correct
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '14

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2014, 14:58
Another quick way / split method:

a) Eliminate A, C and E because "... the earliest mammal of the Greater Antilles islands" is incorrect. It should be the "... mammal on the... XX islands"

b) Between B and D, difference lies in the singular/plural choice of "Fossils". Since "Fossils" is plural, we will require "have been dated" instead of "has been dated". B also have the problem of ambiguity with "they" with no Antecedent. B therefore can be eliminated, leaving "E" the only best choice in the 5 given options.

If I could rewrite the sentence, I probably will try to eliminate the 2 commas in option D (which made it a little nervous choosing it, but is the only correct answer by POE)

Hope this helps.

C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of
D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on
E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 21

Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 11:43
Can someone please explain why "WAS dated" is wrong. Wasn't the fossil dated in the past? - Referring to choice E.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [#permalink] New post 19 May 2014, 09:54
russ9 wrote:
Can someone please explain why "WAS dated" is wrong. Wasn't the fossil dated in the past? - Referring to choice E.

Hi russ9,

Let’s first understand the usage of the two tenses.

The simple past tense is used to represent an event/action that happened in the past and has no effect in the present time.

The present perfect tense is used to represent an event/action that started at some point of time in the past and
1. either has continued till now
2. or ended in the past but its effect is still visible in the present.

Now, in the given sentence what is the result or effect of the fact that the fossils have been dated/was dated at 34 million years old.

Effect: It makes the sloth the earliest known mammal on the Greater Antilles islands.

Is this effect still visible in the present?
Yes, so the present perfect tense is correctly used here.

If we consider the simple past tense as the correct answer in this option then the effect won’t be visible in the present. In that case the meaning of the sentence becomes that when these fossils were dated at 34 million years old, at that point of the time the sloth was the earliest known mammal on the Greater Antilles islands.

Let’s understand this with one more official question. I have taken this question from OG-13 with the correct option.

• Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid
o that eradicated the dinosaurs
• have been dated at 3.47 billion years old
• and thus are evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

In this case the present perfect tense (have been dated) is used because its effect (and thus are evidence of…..) is visible in the present.

Hope this helps! :)
Manyu
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 10:36
I dont know where to post my question so im posting it here. Can someone please answer this?

"One of the villages that were attacked between Tuesday and early Wednesday lies near the town of Chibok, where more than 300 schoolgirls were kidnapped last month."

Is should it be "One of the villages that were" or "One of the villages that was" in the sentence above?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 157 [1] , given: 141

Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
havoc7860 wrote:
I dont know where to post my question so im posting it here. Can someone please answer this?

"One of the villages that were attacked between Tuesday and early Wednesday lies near the town of Chibok, where more than 300 schoolgirls were kidnapped last month."

Is should it be "One of the villages that were" or "One of the villages that was" in the sentence above?

Thanks

One of <always plural noun> that/which <plural verb>

That modifies the noun immediately preceding it, so here 'that' modifies 'villages' . Correct form is 'One of the villages that were...' .
This is widely tested in GMAT, so better learn it . :)

Another closest relative...
One of the Villages was ... [mark no Which/That]

Structure -

One of <always plural noun> <singular verb>

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2045 [1] , given: 677

Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 14:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ConnectTheDots wrote:
havoc7860 wrote:

Thanks

One of <always plural noun> that/which <plural verb>

That modifies the noun immediately preceding it, so here 'that' modifies 'villages' . Correct form is 'One of the villages that were...' .
This is widely tested in GMAT, so better learn it . :)

Another closest relative...
One of the Villages was ... [mark no Which/That]

Structure -

One of <always plural noun> <singular verb>

well

the rule is, in most of the cases, that /who and not which, this is generale.

Morover, there are a couple of case in which one of >>> plural noun >> singular verb is not always true. it dpeneds on the context of the phrase. In this scenario the gmat is unbeatable

;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991,   [#permalink] 22 May 2014, 14:32