Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 7

Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2009, 18:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:18) correct 40% (01:12) wrong based on 711 sessions
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.
A. sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of
B. sloth, that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on
C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of
D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on
E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"CEO in making"

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2009, 21:25
E should be the answer.

what's the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 04:09
IMO E

Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.
A. sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of --> this answer incorrectly means the sloth, not the fossil, was found in Puerto Rico in 1991
B. sloth, that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [color=#000000]has[/color] been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on --> many problems: wrong verb tense, same error as (A) and thus is needless here
C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of --> also the same errors as (A) & (B)
D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on --> this answer wrongly mean the fossil, not the sloth, is 34 million years old. Besides, on is unidiomatic
E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of[/quote] --> correct meaning, precise clause, idiomatic phrase, best choice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 06:00
IMO C.
E makes me nervous because of use of comma, right after which. And use of made, I guess participle is better here.
Current Student
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 08:02
I feel A.
Though I dint like any other choice including this one.

A. sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of-- here it refers to Sloth
B. sloth, that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on--> use of they
C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of---> Fossils is plural
D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on--> have been
E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of--> found in Puerto Rico in 1991 is wrongly placed and you cannot date sloth
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 18:41
I think option D is the only grammatically correct here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 20:11
I think the OA is wrong. What is the source of it?
And could you please explain choice C?

IMO, 'fossils' ... 'was dated' in choice C cannot be correct - mismatch by number.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 11:50
clearly D

fossils---> "have"
aslo sloth ---> used to refer to sloth
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 10

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 10:09
This post received
KUDOS
Minheequang wrote:
IMO E

A. sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of --> this answer incorrectly means the sloth, not the fossil, was found in Puerto Rico in 1991
B. sloth, that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [color=#000000]has[/color] been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on --> many problems: wrong verb tense, same error as (A) and thus is needless here
C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of --> also the same errors as (A) & (B)
D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on --> this answer wrongly mean the fossil, not the sloth, is 34 million years old. Besides, on is unidiomatic
E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of
--> correct meaning, precise clause, idiomatic phrase, best choice
[/quote] Fossils ...was is not correct here.

I think its D. Cannt be C as fossils of the and not the sloth was not found in puerto Rico.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 19:28
bandit wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
IMO E

E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of --> correct meaning, precise clause, idiomatic phrase, best choice
Fossils ...was is not correct here.

Was is correct because it is the verb for subject sloth, not fossils. Check it again, you will see that which stands behind sloth, beginning a new clause "which was dated at 34 million years old". Hence, this clause will modify for sloth, not for any other noun

However, I re-check my answer and think that the correct ans is most likely (D), not (E) as in my first post. The reason is that the particple phrase standing between the 2 commas found in puerto Rico in 1991 is most likely modified for sloth, not for fossils, so it is incorrect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2009, 00:38
this qts i hv seen on set 14 qt with C and the same qts I hv seen in set 15 where OA given is D ..

this discrepany i hv notive in scoretop sets ...this force me think that OA given are not reliable ..

Anyway IMO D is correct ..

"CEO in making"

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2009, 19:14
I initially thought it was D bit it is C.

Manhattan talks about "that" being used when one wants to narrow the identity of the modified noun - so in this case we are talking about the arm "THAT" was found. "WHICH" is usually used just as a middleman modifier. Pg 66 on Manhattan SC 2003.

-talent is the desire to practice-

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2009, 10:24
Am actually quite surprised how the majority have selected C..To me D is pretty clear.

What is the source of this question please?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tenaman10 wrote:
A. sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of
B. sloth, that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on
C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of
D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on

A and B - pronoun error
C according to Manhattan, "this" is always wrong in GMAT. "Fossils ... was" is obviously incorrect.
E "was...dated" should modify fossils not sloth - distort meaning

D for me
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 25

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 12:36
Quote:

I found this question on GMATPREP today.

Frankly speaking i found all choices wrong

Though I picked E, the OA is D

Can someone pls explain how a 'have been dated' in choice D can be correct in this context?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 18:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This question can be found in the GMAT Review, 12th Edition. It is question number 78, and can be found on pages 672 and 724, the latter containing the OA. The correct answer is D.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 20:21
OA is D...I am looking at Prep 2's answer. I chose A

from my analysis I would say it is because fossils are the subject not the sloth. Also fossils is plural so you cant use "it" ... if you use it then you would be saying that the arm of the sloth is the earliest known mammal right?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 00:40
To me, D is clear. I am also astonished to see soo many Cs.
While in C, "sloth that was found " if we are using that clause to refer to fossils (which in this case we are actually !! ) was have to be were !!!

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 11:38
the below should be useful.

Quote:
if you eliminate the intervening modifier, you get "the sloth, which ... was dated at 34m years old".

this is wrong. it's not the sloth that has been dated at that age, it's the fossils.

so yes, this "which" modifier is incorrect.
8 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Dartmouth College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 33 [8] , given: 0

Re: SC - Sloth [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 12:12
This post received
KUDOS
tenaman10 wrote:

Quickest approach:

The subject (fossils) is plural. Eliminate B (has been dated), C (was dated), and E (was dated) because the verb in each is singular.

In A, the pronoun it is ambiguous because it could refer to the arm, to a sloth, or to Puerto Rico.

The correct answer is D.

Mitch Hunt
GMAT tutor and instructor
New York, NY

GMAT Tutor and Instructor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY

Re: SC - Sloth   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2010, 12:12