Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Found a tool to help with B-School admission

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Found a tool to help with B-School admission [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 12:15
Hey everyone,
I'm applying for the second round cycle and taking the GMAT in Oct. In my first bits of research for what schools I feel like my practice scores and profile could get me into, I found a website that y'all might find helpful in picking the right b-schools to apply to/gain admission: www.graduatetestscores.com.

Wish me luck and good luck to you!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Found a tool to help with B-School admission [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 13:00
To be honest, I don't think that site will be all that useful.

GMAT score and GPA don't determine whether you get into a school or not. For the most part, it's your work/life experiences and how well you communicate them through your essays that get you in.

Just because a guy got into Tuck '08 with a 530 GMAT, do you really think that means anything?

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Found a tool to help with B-School admission [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 20:05
I definitely hear ya on the nuances of an application, but the graduatetestscores tool doesn't seem to hurt when you can filter in and out of being male/female, etc. For example, I'm looking at HBS right now and it shows that GPAs for Accepted applicants and Waitlisted applicants are nearly identical, but the extra 15 points on the formers' GMAT may have been a crucial factor. Food for thought.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Found a tool to help with B-School admission [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 02:38
Most of the schools I looked up had only a few data points. I would say it's impossible to draw any conclusions unless you've got at least 100 data points.

RF

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Found a tool to help with B-School admission [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 14:29
Quote:
but the extra 15 points on the formers' GMAT may have been a crucial factor. Food for thought.

Would anyone choose the lower GMAT score given the choice? (Or for that matter not realize that all else being equal a higher score is better).

I am with refurb on this one.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Found a tool to help with B-School admission [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 16:05
westsider wrote:
Quote:
but the extra 15 points on the formers' GMAT may have been a crucial factor. Food for thought.

Would anyone choose the lower GMAT score given the choice? (Or for that matter not realize that all else being equal a higher score is better).

I am with refurb on this one.

I think there isn't enough information to say for sure whether the GMAT score was the deciding factor.

Look at the bottom of the 80% brackets for schools, most of the GMAT scores are around ~670. I'm sure plenty of people with scores higher than that were rejected.

Unless you've got a complete profile on people who were accepted/rejected, you won't really learn anything. And even if you do have that information, you still can't account for "fit", the impression the adcom or interviewer had of you (which can often be a HUGE factor).

RF

Intern
Intern

Re: Found a tool to help with B-School admission [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 08:55
Hey y'all, already said there are nuances and there definitely is not complete data, but what I was getting at with the HBS comment was a couple things. First, GPAs might not be so important; second, we can see the actual degree of differential of variables - in that case, GMAT. Over time, with more users, graduatetestscores will have greater value from these observations now. Also, with enough users, we can also see if there are premiums and discounts for applicants with certain characteristics or not. Could be very interesting to see how Michigan, Berkeley, or UVA rates in-state v. out of state given they are public schools.
Intern
Intern

Re: Found a tool to help with B-School admission [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 10:43
Looks promising, but the site needs more data points. And I think it'd be even more useful if I could compare two schools side-by-side. Thanks for the link
Intern
Intern

Re: Found a tool to help with B-School admission [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2008, 12:14
Good idea, yoshikai. Looks as if more people are using www.graduatetestscores.com. HBS and Stanford are showing some interesting results, for those interested.
Re: Found a tool to help with B-School admission   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2008, 12:14