Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 10:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

51% (01:47) correct 49% (00:56) wrong based on 23 sessions
313. Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 161 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
just concentrate on the last part of underlined part
moving infrequently enough
it shoud be "so...that" IDIOM
hence among C&D
also note the non underlined part at end ".....its coat and between its toes."
hence it must be singular SLOTH
its
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

noboru wrote:
313. Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 21:33
I was picking 'C', but see your point in 'D'.

D. the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently

are 'hangs' ..., 'sleeping'......, 'moving' .. right??
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 161 [2] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
quoting from OG12#124

Agreement; Idiom

The plural sloths in the underlined section of the sentence does not agree with the singular
its (its coat, its toes) in the given section of the sentence, and so sloths must be replaced by the
sloth. When its is then inserted before long rubbery limbs, it becomes clear that the limbs belong to
the sloth, not the trees. The phrase moving infrequently enough that is not idiomatic. Th e
correct construction is so x that y: moving so infrequently that two species. …

D Correct. The sloth agrees with its; the
construction moving so x that y is properly
used in this sentence.

E Hangs … sleeps … it moves is not a parallel
construction; infrequently enough that is not a
correct idiom.

dolly12 wrote:
I was picking 'C', but see your point in 'D'.

D. the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently

are 'hangs' ..., 'sleeping'......, 'moving' .. right??

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

11 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 709 [11] , given: 11

Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 17:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey All,

Everyone got to the correct answer here for good reasons, but I just thought I'd give it the total treatment, because it's a REALLY interesting question.

The way to get great at Sentence Correction is to always be categorizing as you look at splits. In this case, the first split you'll probably notice is "sloths" versus "the sloth". Now, a split like this should TYPICALLY lead you towards the category of SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT, but if you look at all the verbs, they work fine (sloths hang and the sloth hangs). The only other category that might apply when you see singular and plural verbs in the splits is PRONOUNS. That's right! This is actually a common trope. So look elsewhere for a pronoun. This will get rid of A, B, and C, as many have said (because the pronoun "its" at the end can only go with singular "the sloth").

From there, you may notice PARALLELISM happening here. You should know this because you see a list (comma, comma, "and"). This is dangerous here, though not if you noticed the PRONOUN issue already. As many have stated, answer choice E is NOT parallel, because it puts the pronoun "it" before the third verb.

HOWEVER, even if that "it" weren't there, this would still be incorrect. Before reading my explanation of why, see if you can work it out for yourself. Ready?

Okay. So even though E would be very beautiful (three verbs in the same tense and form...what parallel!), it would not retain the original meaning of the sentence. When you have total parallelism like you see in answer choice C, it implies three things that happen in a serial fashion (one after the other, or at least all separately).

But the point here is that there IS a connection. Notice the last point, "algae grow...between its toes." Why would that happen? The only explanation is that the sloth sleeps and barely moves WHILE it is hanging. When you have that kind of construction, you want to use subordinate verbs to imply a subordinate relationship. Watch:

All day long he sits in that chair, reading the newspaper and sometimes falling asleep.

See how we use the -ing form of the verb (participles) to imply that the reading and sleeping occurs WHILE he sits. Because of this, we need the answer to look just as D does.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2010, 06:51
My point here is that hangs, sleeps, and moves are at "the same level" so they must appear in the same tense, arent they??

I dont catch why do we have to subordinate sleeping as if it were like a consequence of the sloth hanging in the tree...

Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kudos [?]: 709 [0], given: 11

Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2010, 12:16
Hey Noburu,

Actually they aren't at the same level, though the question tries to push it that way (and keep in mind, there's no correct answer choice that parallels them all at that level, so it's a bit of a non-issue).

The fact is, the sloths don't do three separate things: 1) hangs from trees, 2)sleeps 15 hours a day, 3) moves infrequently. That wouldn't be very interesting, and it wouldn't at all explain why algae grows between its toes. The point is that it sleeps 15 hours and barely moves WHILE hanging, which explains the algae.

Remember, participles (-ing words as adjectives) can be used either as the result of the previous clause (as you noted) OR as a description of things that occur WHILE the main verb is happening (For example: Dave traveled the world, visiting historic sites, eating crazy foods, and meeting exotic ladies.) In that example, "visiting", "eating" and "meeting" all occur WHILE Dave traveled.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 0

Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 04:09
This post received
KUDOS
Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

Some thoughts:

1. Be careful about the non-underlined portion of the sentence:

See the blue colored portion of the sentence. Here, to refer to the sloth there is a pronoun ''its''. So, we should comply with this pronoun.

=> From this we can easily eliminate A, B, and C because they have the plural noun sloths, which does not fit with the singular its.

2. If a subject has more than one verbs, those verbs should be used one after another by using commas. Subject should not be repeated.
Example:
I have made it and won the prize.

Option E, unnecessarily keeps the pronoun it to refer to the sloth.

Again, option E, does not maintain ''so............that''. So,E is out.

Answer is D.

Never, never, never GIVE UP.

Last edited by gmatisnothard on 25 Apr 2010, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 709 [2] , given: 11

Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Gmatisnothard,

Thanks for joining the discussion. However, I'd like to correct you on a couple things, so people don't get confused. In the future, please refrain from laying forth rules if you're not 100% sure about them, because people will take them as fact. Also, please don't use a giant font, as it dominates the page.

You said this: "2. If a subject has more than one verbs, those verbs should be used one after another by using commas. Subject should not be repeated.
Example: I have made it, and won the prize."

Your overall point is dangerous, because this isn't a hard and fast rule. For example: "The man bought a lot of bacon, but he couldn't eat it all." There's nothing wrong with that sentence, even though we used the pronoun "he" where it wasn't strictly required. Also, your example sentence has another error. You don't use "and" after a comma in a list of two items.

The bigger problem with E in the sloth question is NOT the notion of repeating a subject, but the lack of parallelism. We don't want "it" after the final "and" because we didn't get it after the first comma. Obviously, we're better off not repeating the subject, but it's safer to think of this under the rubric of parallelism.

Finally, the problem isn't that E doesn't have "so infrequently that", but that the version it does have is wrong. We could have said "it moves infrequently enough to allow two species of algae...". But "infrequently enough that..." is an incorrect idiom.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 23:37
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Gmatisnothard,

Thanks for joining the discussion. However, I'd like to correct you on a couple things, so people don't get confused. In the future, please refrain from laying forth rules if you're not 100% sure about them, because people will take them as fact. Also, please don't use a giant font, as it dominates the page.

You said this: "2. If a subject has more than one verbs, those verbs should be used one after another by using commas. Subject should not be repeated.
Example: I have made it, and won the prize."

Your overall point is dangerous, because this isn't a hard and fast rule. For example: "The man bought a lot of bacon, but he couldn't eat it all." There's nothing wrong with that sentence, even though we used the pronoun "he" where it wasn't strictly required. Also, your example sentence has another error. You don't use "and" after a comma in a list of two items. => Yes, you are correct. Thanks for the correction. I have corrected it.

The bigger problem with E in the sloth question is NOT the notion of repeating a subject, but the lack of parallelism. We don't want "it" after the final "and" because we didn't get it after the first comma. Obviously, we're better off not repeating the subject, but it's safer to think of this under the rubric of parallelism.

Finally, the problem isn't that E doesn't have "so infrequently that", but that the version it does have is wrong. We could have said "it moves infrequently enough to allow two species of algae...". But "infrequently enough that..." is an incorrect idiom.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I appreciate your effort. I will be happy if you very often join discussion on this board. your expertise will help us. We are the beginners. So, we have lots of things to know.

1. For a list of three verbs we use comma.
Example:
I have made it, done it, and won the prize. [Am I right?]
Thanks.

Never, never, never GIVE UP.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 06:42
Very insightful discussion.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: sloths [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 10:42
Very detailed discussion , thanks ....

SVP
SVP
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 00:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 22:14
noboru wrote:

I have a doubt that if option E is rephrased as
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and improves infrequently enough

Will this answer choice be correct ?

Or is it still incorrect because of enough that ??The Idiom should be so x that y .

Does it mean that énought that 'is a checkpoint for idiom 'so x that y 'and the idiom is preferred.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3438 [0], given: 183

Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 06:52
Expert's post
purnima wrote:
Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enoug

I have a doubt that if option E is rephrased as
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and improves infrequently enough

Will this answer choice be correct ?

Or is it still incorrect because of enough that ??The Idiom should be so x that y .

Does it mean that énought that 'is a checkpoint for idiom 'so x that y 'and the idiom is preferred.

Hi Purnima,

Choice E is certainly incorrect for the usage of "enough that" because this is not the correct idiom. In the context of this sentence, we need the idiom "so X that Y". The "that Y" part is already mentioned in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. That's the indicator that we need to use the idiom "so X that Y" in its correct form to convey the intended meaning.

Also, when we write all the verbs in parallel form - "hangs, sleeps, and moves", they all become independent events. However, from the original senetnce, we know that at least "moving..." is the result of "sleeps 15 hours..." as this entity is written as the comma + verb-ing modifier that presents the result of the preceding action. So here we have the cause and effect relationship between the actions. this cause and effect relationship is lost when we make all the verbs parallel to each other. Such changes lead to change in the intended meaning of the sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2014, 06:52