Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 12:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Franklin's Superfly GMAT Improvement Debrief: 620 to 670

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Franklin's Superfly GMAT Improvement Debrief: 620 to 670 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 17:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

So here's the update. In August I scored a 620. That debrief is found here: my-botched-attempt-at-700-kinda-long-82452.html. I took the test again March 2010 and achieved a score of 670 - 38Q (51%) 44V (97%) 5.5 AWA. I am happy with the score increase but would really like a 700+ score particularly with a strong quant score.

I knew that my quant sucked royally. So, I started prepping in December right after Christmas focusing heavily on quant. In addition, this time around I didn't practice verbal at all. That's right, no practice. I took a couple of GMAT prep tests but didn't complete the verbal sections. I usually scored 47-49 on the quant sections.

I used Sackman's Total GMAT Math to solidify weak areas. In addition, I used GMAT Club tests and practiced questions from OG 12. That's it. My test day went well. I felt good. I knew I would score higher than before. However, I was surprised to see a lower quant score than my previous attempt. It kinda pissed me off.

So now, I'm not sure what to do. I'm looking at part-time programs such as Stern, Chicago and Kellogg. I'm even looking at EMBA programs. I'm not sure if my current score will do the trick. Do you guys think a 670 is good enough?

I am concerned because I'm older (38) but thankfully, I have very good work experience (5 years as an entrepreneur and just received an executive position for a medium-sized RE investment firm). So, should I make another attempt or should I let it ride? I've thought about doing the Knewton course since the company has a guarantee of a 50 point increase. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. Also, to anyone out there struggling PLEASE keep your spirits up. When I first started this process I scored a 500 with the lowest quant score I have ever seen on this forum .... wait for it ....26Q 18%. Seriously.

Happy thoughts,

Franklin "Quant-tard" Bluth

Last edited by Franklin on 23 Mar 2010, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Superfly GMAT Improvement Debrief: 620 to 670 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
HAHA - funny debrief and great improvement. I think 670 falls within the range of many schools. If you have a strong work profile, your 670 will probably be overshadowed by it. Best of luck on applications!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Superfly GMAT Improvement Debrief: 620 to 670 [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 03:52
TimeSquareDesi wrote:
HAHA - funny debrief and great improvement. I think 670 falls within the range of many schools. If you have a strong work profile, your 670 will probably be overshadowed by it. Best of luck on applications!

Thanks TSD!
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 376 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Franklin's Superfly GMAT Improvement Debrief: 620 to 670 [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 04:24
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats Franklin. I know you've put a lot of time and effort into your prep.

Best of luck with your apps.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Superfly GMAT Improvement Debrief: 620 to 670 [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 06:27
mohater wrote:
Congrats Franklin. I know you've put a lot of time and effort into your prep.

Best of luck with your apps.

Thanks mohater. So, do you think I should apply with my current score or start prepping to get to a 700+? I just don't know if the score is good enough for part-time or exec programs. Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Superfly GMAT Improvement Debrief: 620 to 670 [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats and good luck with your apps. For part time I think the score is enough but not sure about EMBA. your quant is average and may have a little impact but if you could mitigate that in the rest of the apps then it should be fine.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 376 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Franklin's Superfly GMAT Improvement Debrief: 620 to 670 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 18:10
Franklin wrote:

Thanks mohater. So, do you think I should apply with my current score or start prepping to get to a 700+? I just don't know if the score is good enough for part-time or exec programs. Thanks!

You're borderline for top tier part time program. Exec programs are running thin with the downturn in the economy (employers are not willing to fork up the major $$$ for the exec programs).

Remember: The average for part time programs tends to be a bit lower than the average for full time programs. You can see the full time stats here:

the-pants-pooping-applicant-thread-for-78477.html#p617871

My advice (depending when you'll be applying):

Take another practice test (MGMAT or GMATPrep) and complete a thorough review of the practice test. If you feel you CAN improve on your weaknesses, go for it.

Otherwise, focus on your application, essays and letters of rec. You should be on the table for most schools with a 670.

Congrats again and best of luck,

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Franklin's Superfly GMAT Improvement Debrief: 620 to 670   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2010, 18:10