Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Free Essay Evals by EssaySnark -Official GMAT Club Reviews [#permalink]
essaysnark wrote:

EssaySnark Essay Review! Stanford Essay 1: What matters most, and why?

Uh oh. The classic Stanford essay.

We're a little surprised it took this long for anyone to send this in! It's traditionally held the spot of “Most Difficult Essay” among all top business schools of the world – that is, until HBS mixed things up with the completely open-ended essay this year.

SIDE NOTE: DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO RE-USE YOUR STANFORD ESSAY 1 FOR HBS.

That's just a little word o' advice from the 'Snark. We're actually going to discuss Stanford today, not Harvard. But we know that many people will try to jigger other schools' essays into that Harvard prompt, and Stanford Essay 1 is a common candidate for this misguided effort. Please resist the urge. Not only are the questions the schools are asking totally unrelated, but the schools themselves are so different that the Stanford content just isn't appropriate for Harvard.

Not to mention the fact that it'll be completely obvious to Harvard if that's what you do.

But back to Stanford.

As you know, Stanford doesn't have actual word limits for each individual essay. They have guidelines for a suggested allocation, and you can't go over 1600 words total. They recommend a 750-word essay for the Matters Most question – which is downright liberal by bschool essay standards these days. Used to be, 750 words was a middle-length essay. Now, this is one of the longest essays around.

Still, 750 words isn't that long when you have a lot to say. After all, this essay is asking you to talk about the thing that's most precious to you – most important – most core-critical over all else in the world. Seems like that should take some space to do a good job, wouldn't it?

Yes and no.

Some people do in fact wander off into la-la-land with the extreme permissiveness that Stanford has allowed of 750 words for Essay 1. Your biggest challenge with this essay is that you must FOCUS. You have to directly answer the question – in fact, both elements of the question.

We're happy to report that the Brave Supplicant who sent in this draft did exactly that. At least, there's a clear and direct answer to the main element right upfront – in the first sentence, in fact. Here's what we got:

Keeping an open mind, from exploring other countries to shedding personal biases, matters most to me. As a first generation Chinese American, I not only grew up speaking two languages, but I also adopted two distinct cultures. My parents, who had lived in Germany before immigrating to the United States, further influenced me to broaden my horizon. Because of them, I have always gravitated towards new ideas and experiences.

So refreshing! So direct! You would not believe how many of these essays we see where there is no specific answer to the question to be found – not in the first sentence, not in the first paragraph, not nowhere.

So your next tip for today (besides the one about not trying to re-use Stanford 1 to HBS) is that you MUST ANSWER THE QUESTION.

This is true for every essay for every school – you're saying, “Like, duh, EssaySnark” right?

Yeah. Well. Not everyone seems to get this part. It's a very very common misstep among BSers' drafts everywhere. And it's super critical for Stanford.

The reason for that is, with 750 words, you can quickly hang yourself if you don't have a specific core around which to build your essay. You must know literally what you're talking about (“duh” again, right?) in order to say something useful and intelligent.

This BSer has done a fairly good job of that. We get a real answer in the first sentence. When we first read it, we had some misgivings that it sounded like an answer written to impress the adcom – that's probably the second most common mistake that people make on this one, behind the “not answer the question” part. The hardest part of Stanford essay 1 is to say something that's authentic, to share a real part of yourself. The answer given in the first sentence made us hesitate straightaway, since we were worried it was gonna be another one of those essays. We were also worried that it sounded like the BSer was answering the “matters most” question with multiple responses.

That's tip #3: Only write one single answer in this essay. This BSer has said that “keeping an open mind” is the most important thing, and that works, but it seems like they are also saying that “exploring other countries” and “shedding personal biases” are also what “matters most” - and obviously you can only have ONE thing that “matters most”. Singular. The way it's written, we can kinda excuse it, but you're heading into dangerous territory there.

EssaySnark has already managed to write 750 words ourselves in this discussion of just a single paragraph of Stanford Essay 1 – so we need to wrap things up here. Obviously there's a lot that can be said about any of these essays, and we're not trying to claim that we've covered all the ground in even this one paragraph. Here's a quick summary, to help this BSer understand what they've done and where they need to be careful:

1. Besides the “multiple answers” thing you need to look at the focus of the essay. You start off with this decent opening and then you do an excellent job of talking about specific experiences in your life by which this answer is true – (tip #4 for BSers: that's the way to execute on this essay, is by DESCRIBING ACTUAL EVENTS that have shaped you and made the “matters most” thing what it is). **BUT!** This BSer has too much “not-me” content. You describe in great detail some experiences in Germany, which are well-written and generally interesting... but are they about YOU? You need to be careful with this. We're not saying that you should delete all of it, but you need to examine it closely and make sure that it's revealing something specific about you – and that it's truly supporting your answer to the “matters most” thing. Around paragraphs 6 and 7 we started wondering what the point was. And paragraph 8 is really off track. You're totally out in the wilderness there discussing your friends' grandparents... what does that have to do with YOU? This needs attention.

2. You need to test the argument you're making. This is again true for everyone (tip #5: does the “why” answer fit logically with the “matters most” answer?) This BSer brings everything full circle at the very end but it's a little high-concept; we're not completely convinced that these threads tie up as neatly as you want them to. Maybe it's fine... the essay feels complete, which is definitely important and hard to do... but somehow the “why” statement seems like it could be more directly focused on YOU.

Hopefully these tips and the specific reactions we've offered to the brave BSer who submitted this will also be useful to all of you. This is still one of the hardest essays around. If you're just starting out on your essay-writing adventure, we do not recommend beginning with Stanford. Get your feet wet on essays to another school – Wharton or Kellogg have “easy” essays to learn the ropes with. Then come tackle your Stanford drafts a little later, after you have your chops down. The whole ordeal will be easier that way.

Or relatively so. It's still Stanford. And it's still a killer of a question.

Good luck with it!

EssaySnark is reviewing essays here on GMAT Club every week. If you want to see if yours is up to snuff, please read the instructions here to submit it. Personally identifiable information in your essay needs to be removed and won't be published – don't worry, you'll be able to stay anonymous if you prefer.

I respectfully disagree that what matters most is SINGULAR. It can definitely plural as long as it supports your story and allows the committee to understand who you truly are.
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Send PM
SecretariatTrading wrote:
I respectfully disagree that what matters most is SINGULAR. It can definitely plural as long as it supports your story and allows the committee to understand who you truly are.
Do what you want - they're your essays - but we have never seen a good Stanford essay 1 that presents multiple answers (and we've definitely not seen one that was successful - not that we see all the essays of course! but it's a good sample size). The question is asking for one thing - and it's hard enough to do a good job when answering with just one. Answering with multiple? :o Good luck with that.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
SecretariatTrading wrote:
Do what you want - they're your essays - but we have never seen a good Stanford essay 1 that presents multiple answers (and we've definitely not seen one that was successful - not that we see all the essays of course! but it's a good sample size). The question is asking for one thing - and it's hard enough to do a good job when answering with just one. Answering with multiple? :o Good luck with that.

One definitive answer is easiest to support and provides for the strongest essay. However, that doesn't mean you can't provide examples to define and/or support that one answer (as I did in the draft that was reviewed here). In response to the feedback I received, I ended up tweaking my answer to make it more tangible (and less "high level concept"), which happened to negate the need for examples.
Send PM
missxmelon wrote:
One definitive answer is easiest to support and provides for the strongest essay. However, that doesn't mean you can't provide examples to define and/or support that one answer (as I did in the draft that was reviewed here). In response to the feedback I received, I ended up tweaking my answer to make it more tangible (and less "high level concept"), which happened to negate the need for examples.

@missxmelon, as a general rule, a good Stanford essay 1 MUST provide examples to back up the answer given for "what matters most"; we may be suffering from a lack of creative thinking ability, but we honestly can't come up with any case where supporting examples aren't needed. It's the way that the answer is illustrated, that carries the day. Obviously we didn't see where you went with yours so maybe your execution is the exception that proves the rule! :-D

EssaySnark
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
@missxmelon, as a general rule, a good Stanford essay 1 MUST provide examples to back up the answer given for "what matters most"; we may be suffering from a lack of creative thinking ability, but we honestly can't come up with any case where supporting examples aren't needed. It's the way that the answer is illustrated, that carries the day. Obviously we didn't see where you went with yours so maybe your execution is the exception that proves the rule! :-D

EssaySnark

When I said examples, I meant that in the context of defining the answer. Ergo, in the sentence "Keeping an open mind, from exploring other countries to shedding personal biases..." the phrases 'exploring other countries' and 'shedding personal biases' are not "multiple answers," but rather examples that help define what it means to keep an open mind. Obviously, in any essay, you need examples to support your thesis (what else would the content of the essay be?); these, however, were not the examples I was talking about. I no longer have any phrases that define my answer, but clearly the rest of my essay is filled with examples that support my thesis.
Send PM
missxmelon wrote:
Obviously, in any essay, you need examples to support your thesis (what else would the content of the essay be?)

THANK YOU! :P

(you'd be surprised how many people overlook this basic definitional point!)

Sounds like you're on the right track! fingers crossed for you - hope you'll keep us posted!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Hi EssaySnark!

Sorry for the delayed reply. I wanted to give you a huge thank you for ripping apart my Tuck essay. Your service is tremendous and appreciated. I did a huge overhaul and really tried to incorporate your feedback to be exact in defining my career and goals. I do have a somewhat nontraditional work history so it is vital for me to explain it clearly.
Send PM
chouman wrote:
Hi EssaySnark!

Sorry for the delayed reply. I wanted to give you a huge thank you for ripping apart my Tuck essay. Your service is tremendous and appreciated. I did a huge overhaul and really tried to incorporate your feedback to be exact in defining my career and goals. I do have a somewhat nontraditional work history so it is vital for me to explain it clearly.
@chouman - not sure how we missed this comment but - COOL! Glad that the snarky feedback helped you out. Good luck with Tuck and we hope you'll report back on your progress!!!

EssaySnark
Send PM
Bookmarks

EssaySnark Essay Review! More career goals – another Columbia Essay 1

You guys know the drill – another week, another essay review - though we're happy to do a couple of these in a row if more of you people want to submit yours for the chance – dive in, the water's great!!

Columbia 1. Here's the question that this BSer had listed at the top of the draft:

Given your individual background, why are you pursuing a CBS MBA at this time?

Uh – not quite. The question is asking why are you pursuing a Columbia MBA. This may seem like nitpicky nonsense but we feel strongly that BSers should write out the full name of the school – not abbreviate. We know the whole thing about trying to save words in the essay, but a simple 'Columbia' is fine – particularly when it's in the actual question. To say 'CBS' strikes us as overly familiar and too casual.

Next: BSer sent us a 660-word essay.

We say again... “Uh – not quite.”

This is a 500 word max question. You went 160 words over?? Really?? Back to our previous comment in this thread advising people to submit their best work for review. Obviously this essay is not “done” yet if it's so grossly overlimit. We have low confidence in the work already. :-(

But let's look at what we've got – here's the first two paragraphs:

Pursuing my undergraduate degree from Singapore was a turning point in my life. It forced me to go out of my comfort zone, interact and learn with people from diverse cultural backgrounds. Through my commitment and hard work, I utilized every opportunity available to have a holistic experience in university and graduated in 2010 with First Class Honors, a Minor in Business, and Finalists of Business Planning Competition.

My hard work reaped rewards as I was offered a full-time position as a Supply Chain Manager in Procter & Gamble. This role enabled me to hone my inherent analytical and inter-personal skills and I delivered breakthrough results like leading the inventory reduction by 30% (USD 10mn) in FY 11-12 for Gillette. Just 18 months into my first role and I was offered a more leadership oriented role which I gladly accepted. It showed the immense faith, leaders had in my capabilities since such roles are normally offered to peers one level above me. I got the opportunity to lead execution of new launches, cost-savings and portfolio optimization projects in collaboration with the sales and marketing teams. These combined projects helped deliver US$5 million in profit during a 1 year period.

First paragraph: What are we getting here that says anything more than a quick glance at the resume would communicate? Claiming an experience was a “turning point” and got you out of your “comfort zone” - which right there we're wondering if you wrote this essay for MIT and are repurposing it for Columbia, based on using the same language found in Sloan's essay 2 prompt... None of the content in this introduction paragraph does anything to help the adcom to understand anything specific about you. It's all unnecessary. They can see that you graduated in '10 with that specific degree; they have all that info, in multiple places.

How is that in any way answering the question?

Second paragraph: What is UP with those bold statements? Weirdness. You seem to feel that certain phrases are more important than the rest of the essay.

If that's the case, then ditch everything else and just say the important things.

No, really. We mean it. We're not trying to be cute with that suggestion.

The thing is, we get a 660-word essay and we just KNOW it's full of pomp and circumstance. (That's a negative, BTW.) A 660-word essay is, by definition, NOT FOCUSED.

And funnily enough, the writer of say bloated essay monstrosity seems to KNOW that there's too much fluff in there, because he's put in these nifty bold phrases to help us see what he really means to say.

Uh – not quite. :-D

BSer, you need to take a fresh look at this. What are you doing with these odd techniques? Essays don't have boldness in them.

Or, take that back: We would hope that your essays do have boldness in them. But this needs to come through in your ideas and messaging – not by, like, literally placing bold marks on your text.

Let's look at the content itself, shall we? (We're choosing to ignore the writing errors that we're seeing...)

Content content content... what do we have with the content... is this essay strategic? Is it on target? Is it answering the question? Lessee.

Oh. Hm. Oh dear.

This is 199 words into the essay and we have yet to see a career goal. Nary a sign of one, in fact.

This is turning out to be a major missed opportunity.

It's not required to put the goals in the first sentence – but it is in fact what the school is asking for – and, it is in fact WHAT ESSAYSNARK ALREADY ADVISED THAT PEOPLE DO WITH THEIR ESSAYS. Like, in our previous Columbia essay 1 review. Like, right here in this very thread.

People. You're making us send you this.

We were tempted to call this one done at this point, given the number of unforced errors committed by the poor suffering Brave Supplicant. But we can just hear the protests: “EssaySnark! But wait! I talk about goals in the very next paragraph! I didn't completely flub up like you're claiming I did!”

And sure enough, we read paragraph 3 and we discover, lo and behold, career goals! Here they are:

Although I was happy with the opportunities I was getting at P&G, I felt like I wasn’t getting challenged enough. This is when I started researching for various career tracks and got interested in the management consulting career. Thus my immediate goal post-MBA will be to work as an Associate/Consultant in one of the major management consulting firm ideally in the US or UK. A management consulting role will provide me with constant new challenges through working with clients from diverse industries and solving different business challenges. I have already started working towards this goal by making a job shift from P&G to Syngenta in Jan’2013. I took up this challenge as I wanted to develop broader industry experience which will be beneficial as a management consultant.

OK, so at around word 250 of what should be a 500-word essay, you start to answer the question. Glad that we're finally getting there but not so great that it took this long.

And then there's another typo in that sentence.

And the bulk of the paragraph is fluffy stuff that doesn't answer the question.

The BSer redeems himself in the second-to-last sentence of paragraph 3 - “I have already started working towards this goal” - hey! That looks relevant to what they have asked! Cool beans, BSer, you have some content here that's salvageable!

What this BSer should do is, carve out the ANSWER TO THE QUESTION from this whole meandering draft, and start there. That answer comes mostly in this third paragraph – but it's way too wordy. Cut to the chase, give the goals, and then start to explain how you're prepared to achieve them. That second-to-the-last sentence is not so bad but you need more there; we need to know how that is proper prep for this new path, with some details. This is your opportunity to take us beyond what you've got on the resume. The jumble of facts in paragraph 2 might comprise some of that, but it's not really being presented in a way that impresses.

Basically, BSer, from what we can tell in this draft, you might have some raw material that could work for an essay like this, but given that you're coming from a majorly oversubscribed candidate pool, and given that you're pitching the most common career goals of all this year, and given that this is Columbia Business School... we're thinking that there's work to be done before this is going to be a competitive pitch.

Early Decision will be important for you. Go back to the drawing board, take a fresh look at this, target your message and make it happen!

Good luck and keep us posted.

EssaySnark reviews essays here and on the EssaySnark blahg – for free!Personally identifiable information in your essay needs to be removed and won't be published – don't worry, you'll be able to stay anonymous if you prefer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Sustainability
GRE 1: Q164 V160
GPA: 3.09
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
This is awesome, thanks ES! Too bad I didn't find this thread until after I submitted my apps for Yale, Michigan and Stanford... but luckily I think I incorporated all of your suggestions based on feedback from my reviewers. I felt good about my essays so once I finish Duke maybe I can submit for review!
Send PM