Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Free or Discounted Items for Students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [4] , given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
Just found out that Amazon Prime (which I absolutely love and have been paying $79/yr for the last 2 years) is free for 1 year with a student email address...score!

Another is the Wall Street Journal, for students its only $2 a week for 6-day delivery and full online access

Thought I would start this thread to keep a list of any sweet deals for students you come across, please share!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2222

Kudos [?]: 8234 [1] , given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 21:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There is also STA - http://www.statravel.com/ Must be under 26.

STA Travel, the world's largest student and youth travel agency, beats any price! Every day we're working with our partners around the globe to get you (student, teachers & anyone under 26) the cheapest, most flexible flights and top-rated accommodations. Ask your STA Travel expert about discount flight options from your city to get you started on your summer adventures.

Also, often schools/classes provide free WSJ subscription for 12 weeks.
There is also Magazines for Miles: books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html#p572895

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 06:59
AT&T Wireless offer discounts to students at many schools, and I suspect Verizon and T-Mobile also do. The rate may depend on the school but I got 10% off.

Also, Apple has education discounts (not much, considering the retail price), and most schools have discount programs with major software vendors. I was able to get Windows 7 for $10 and Adobe Photoshop CS5 for $175 (it normally retails for $1000).

Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 16:49
I kept meaning to sign up, never got around to it, but the Economist has discounted student subscriptions. I think that it comes with access to the electronic version also, so it's a pretty good offer. The link is pretty easy to find off the main website.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 19:14
The Economist is actually cheaper through the $12 for 12-weeks deal you can find online (and runs in perpetuity).

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 10:46
This thread is really cool!! Anyone else know of any other sweet deals on offer right now?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 04:29
Quote:
This thread is really cool!! Anyone else know of any other sweet deals on offer right now?

This may go without saying, but most clothing retail stores offer some kind of student/teacher discount (usually 15%). It's rarely advertised but definitely worth asking about and you'd just need your student id or college email address. Banana Republic, Gap, JCrew, Ann Taylor come to mind off the top of my head. Sometimes you'll get an uninformed salesperson that'll let you stack the 15% on top of sale/clearance items (extra 30% off jcrew sale + 15% discount? I'll take it. :) )

Michmax3 wrote:
Just found out that Amazon Prime (which I absolutely love and have been paying $79/yr for the last 2 years) is free for 1 year with a student email address...score!

Another is the Wall Street Journal, for students its only $2 a week for 6-day delivery and full online access

Thought I would start this thread to keep a list of any sweet deals for students you come across, please share!

To echo the Amazon Prime bit, I am absolutely obsessed. I took advantage of the free year of Prime and when my free year was up, Amazon offered renewing my student subscription for ~$30, which is absolutely worth it!

My school profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1047766

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 100

Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 09:33
Here's the details on the Amazon thing. Looks like its only for 6 months right now:

Join Amazon Student to get Amazon Prime shipping benefits free for six months, including:
FREE Two-Day Shipping on millions of items
FREE Release-Date Delivery on video games, DVDs, books and more.
Deals and promotions exclusively for Students.
At the end of your free period, you'll get 50% off an annual Amazon Prime membership, including:
Continued Amazon Prime shipping benefits.
Plus instant streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 100

Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 10:14
Apple's student store:
http://store.apple.com/us-hed/findyourschool?aid=AOS-US-Edu-NavLink

Looks like $50-$200 off computers and education prices for software. I think they have a Back to School promotion in the late summer/fall for students. I remember one year students got a free iPod with purchase of a MacBook or iMac.

HP student store:
http://hp.force.com/external/hpacademy
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 15:11
Thank you guys once again for all the amazing options!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 15:15
bb wrote:
There is also STA - http://www.statravel.com/ Must be under 26.

O never heard of them, I have 6 months left! Lets see if I can plan something soon. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.45
WE: General Management (Law)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 00:11
I know my school offers free microsoft office, you may want to keep that in mind and check yours before buying!

Feel free to read about my progress

http://20somethingsmba.blogspot.com/

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 577 [0], given: 114

Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 07:39
Just to give anyone the heads up that is interested in a Lenovo, www.corporateperks.com is running one of the best Lenovo deals I've ever seen. It's like 20-30% off most laptops and accessories (even the newest docking stations, monitors, bags, etc..). I just picked up an x230, 128 SSD, I5 2.6 Ivy Bridge, 4GM RAM, Full Docking Station, 3 year on-site warranty, Webcam, fingerprint reader, backlit keyboard, 36 month version of Norton Internet Security 2012, 6 cell battery, IPS screen, full docking station (was $219, with deal was $149!), and many little accessories and saved almost $500 with the discount, and this was on top of the already "discounted" (Lenovo is ALWAYS running "discounts") price. Deal runs through June 12. Wasn't planning on buying my computer quite yet, but this deal was way too good to pass up.

Note: Requires that you create an account... once you do, click on the lenovo deal under electronics (its the #1 used deal on the whole site right now) and click "Shop Now". It will redirect you to the Lenovo website except everything will be like 25% off. It's incredible.

Also, I have no affiliation with corporateperks and neither does GMAT Club. Just trying to hook up my fellow Clubbers with what I think is a really solid deal

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 12:41
I just bought a Macbook Air (new version came out this week).

At Apple, students get $100 off the purchase price of any Mac + a $100 app store gift card. I just showed them my acceptance letter on my phone.

Also, I signed up for Amazon prime. It's free for 6 months with a student e-mail address and then half price for 2-4 years after that. Free 2nd day shipping is awesome!

Re: Free or Discounted Items for Students   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2012, 12:41