Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Freedman's survey showed that people living in small towns

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 283
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Freedman's survey showed that people living in small towns [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 04:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Freedman's survey showed that people living in small towns and rural areas consider
themselves no happier than do people living in big cities.
( A) no happier than do people living
( B) not any happier than do people living
( C) not any happier than do people who live
( D) no happier than are people who are living
( E) not as happy as are people who live
_________________

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 04:51
Nothing wrong with A its parallel and uses comparisons correctly.

vdhawan1 wrote:
Freedman's survey showed that people living in small towns and rural areas consider themselves no happier than do people living in big cities.
( A) no happier than do people living
( B) not any happier than do people living
( C) not any happier than do people who live
( D) no happier than are people who are living
( E) not as happy as are people who live
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 52
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 06:14
bsd_lover wrote:
Nothing wrong with A its parallel and uses comparisons correctly.

vdhawan1 wrote:
Freedman's survey showed that people living in small towns and rural areas consider themselves no happier than do people living in big cities.
( A) no happier than do people living
( B) not any happier than do people living
( C) not any happier than do people who live
( D) no happier than are people who are living
( E) not as happy as are people who live


I think it's D
The problem with A is the "do", which repeat the verb "to consider". People in the city do not consider themselves happy (or unhappy). They just are happy (or unhappy)

To me, the meaning of the sentence is the following:
People in the city are unhappy. People in small towns consider themselves no happier than people are in the city. So, people in small towns consider themselves no happier than are people in the city.

As opposed to:
People in the city consider themselves unhappy. People in small towns consider themselves no happier than people in the city consider themselves happy. So, people in small towns consider themselves no happier than do people in the city.

I am not very sure of my answer though, the "are" seems superfluous.

What is the OA please?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 06:19
I agree with bsd_lover. It is parallel. The "do consider" idea is the same in both places of the sentence which is necessary to keep it all parallel.

I think you're reading more into the question than is there with the "people are (un)happy". My advice is don't add verbs to a sentence when you're reading them.

In a sentence like this when the second phrase is "than do people in the city", the verb is implied from the first verb used, (i.e., conisder). By thinking the sentence means people "are" happy in the city gives it new meaning because the verb "are" is neither used nor implied in the sentence.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 52
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 06:37
jallenmorris wrote:
I agree with bsd_lover. It is parallel. The "do consider" idea is the same in both places of the sentence which is necessary to keep it all parallel.

I think you're reading more into the question than is there with the "people are (un)happy". My advice is don't add verbs to a sentence when you're reading them.

In a sentence like this when the second phrase is "than do people in the city", the verb is implied from the first verb used, (i.e., conisder). By thinking the sentence means people "are" happy in the city gives it new meaning because the verb "are" is neither used nor implied in the sentence.


That's the problem, I am not sure whether people from the city "consider" themselves (un)happy or "are" (un)happy.
Usually when you say "I consider myself happier than you", you are really saying "I consider myself happier than you are" and not "I consider myself happier than you consider yourself"...
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 07:18
vdhawan1 wrote:
Freedman's survey showed that people living in small towns and rural areas consider
themselves no happier than do people living in big cities.
( A) no happier than do people living
( B) not any happier than do people living
( C) not any happier than do people who live
( D) no happier than are people who are living
( E) not as happy as are people who live



E, C are out because ...people living in small towns should be parallel with ..... peopling living in big cities
D is awkward and redudant.

Between A and B---> B looks good.

I will chose B.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 283
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 08:05
OA is A folks
_________________

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 08:13
Businessman, you're absolutely right. When saying "I consider myself happier/smarter/better looking than you." You mean "than you [are]." The verb [are] is implied in your example.

In this instance, we're comparing the results of a survey that apparently asked respondents how happy they consider themselves to be, rather than asking them if they consider themselves happeir than another group of people.

In the results of the survey, we are looking at how each person considers their own happiness and comparing those results. I think the question turns on whether the respondents compared themselves to another group (big city people) or if those interpreting the results (and making this statement) compared the respondents to the big city people.

businessm wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
I agree with bsd_lover. It is parallel. The "do consider" idea is the same in both places of the sentence which is necessary to keep it all parallel.

I think you're reading more into the question than is there with the "people are (un)happy". My advice is don't add verbs to a sentence when you're reading them.

In a sentence like this when the second phrase is "than do people in the city", the verb is implied from the first verb used, (i.e., conisder). By thinking the sentence means people "are" happy in the city gives it new meaning because the verb "are" is neither used nor implied in the sentence.


That's the problem, I am not sure whether people from the city "consider" themselves (un)happy or "are" (un)happy.
Usually when you say "I consider myself happier than you", you are really saying "I consider myself happier than you are" and not "I consider myself happier than you consider yourself"...

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 15:35
businessm - when the question statement clearly states that people consider themselves happy, then it means they consider themselves happy :) The GMAT is pedantic that way. Never ever presume a meaning change. Often GMAT throws question where options BCDE all seem correct, the only difference being a subtle change in meaning. Meaning is perhaps the #1 thing you should consider when narrowing down your answer choices. Rule of thumb - never EVER change the meaning of A.
Re: SC Question   [#permalink] 28 May 2008, 15:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Freedmans survey showed that people living in small towns Ruby 0 23 Aug 2006, 18:10
Freedmans survey showed that people living in small towns mailtheguru 10 29 Jul 2006, 17:23
Freedmans survey showed that people living in small towns vivek123 9 11 Jan 2006, 11:35
Freedmans survey showed that people living in small towns Antmavel 4 29 Sep 2005, 01:19
Freedmans survey showed that people living in small towns rahulraao 3 12 Sep 2005, 03:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Freedman's survey showed that people living in small towns

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.