Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

French major cramming quant <4wks, FML

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

French major cramming quant <4wks, FML [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 09:37
Deleted as is no longer relevant.

Last edited by hopes33 on 16 Apr 2012, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 610 [0], given: 5

Re: French major cramming quant <4wks, FML [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 12:06
Expert's post
1 month is definitely do-able, especially if you only need to focus on quant.

Be careful not to make "stupid" mistakes. The key to improvement is changing your thought process. Mark down the ones you get wrong. Revisit them again and see how you do. Do not discard questions just because you've seen them before. Your memory is not so good that you remember every little detail. Just continually mark wrong questions and revisit them everyday. Ask yourself why you got it wrong. What could you have done differently to not choose the wrong answer? What could you have done to reduce your time? Rewatch our videos - is your thinking process similar to ours? Can you practice internalizing our approach so the thinking happens as fast as possible?

Lastly, train your mental stamina. Prepare for the exam as if you were sitting in for the real one.

Focus, focus, focus.

You can reference this article: http://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... mat-study/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4454 [0], given: 162

Re: French major cramming quant <4wks, FML [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2012, 04:07
Expert's post
hopes33 wrote:
Long story short, I just decided to apply to MMS/MiM programs.

Like WallStreetBarbie who posted below, I have a month to go and really suck at quant (well, maybe for her it's more of a self-perception). I'm just now re-learning principles, and feel frantic, not sure how much I should work on 'understanding' a formula as opposed to just memorizing it. I know that sounds stupid, like of course you're supposed to understand a formula-- but there's kind of getting it and then re-deriving it, if you know what I mean.

I don't know whether I should go primarily to a textbook, Khan Academy (which I love), or just keep plugging through the GMAT book. I started a practice test and bombed that mother f-er.

Please help, and don't tell me to take it later (I'm going to take it again, but want to at least TRY for this round of admissions).

Thank you!!
PS--I'm Asian too, womp womp.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image

Guess you are looking at Math after many years. It's understandable that you need to start right from the beginning i.e. you probably need to re-learn how to work with equations, quadratics, fractions etc. Khan academy is a great resource to help you understand many of these basic manipulations. You really really need to know your basic Math before you progress to GMAT Quant. Look, a GMAT book will explain you how to take information from a question and put it into an equation which you can solve. But to arrive at the answer, you need to solve the equation which you cannot if your basics are weak. You need to manipulate the numbers in every question.
As for memorizing vs understanding the formulas, you need to understand the formula to know exactly when you can use it and when you cannot. No one cares whether you can derive it. If you are going through a GMAT book right now and are able to solve most of the easy and mid level practice questions after going through the theory, then your basics aren't really weak and you can keep to the book. Else go to your text book, keep working on Khan academy and subsequently, you will need to check out the GMAT book again. A lot of things to do and little time but since you do want to take the test in a month, work hard and we hope it will all work out...

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: French major cramming quant <4wks, FML   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2012, 04:07