Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth (WL & Denied), Duke Fuqua (IN), UNC KF (IN)
WE 1: Transportation Infrastructure, Public Sector, India
WE 2: Transportation Safety, State of California
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 4

Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 15:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Dear Friends,

Please find attached my notes regarding my experience with my first try at the GMAT. It is a long file, read at your leisure; I hope at least some of you will find something valuable from my experience.

Thanks.

GMAT Date (first attempt): March 12, 2010. Score – 740 (Q-50, V-40), Overall 97th Percentile.

Preparation:
Total Time - 5 months
(Start Up – 2 months, average 2-3 hrs per day)
(Extensive – 3 months, average 3- 4 hrs per week day, 6-7 hrs per weekend day)
Methodology (in brief)
1. Month 1-2 - First Time Review of OG 11 & Princeton Review GMAT Guide (all problems completed once)
2. Month 2-3 - Second Time Review of OG 11 and searching for Test Preparation Courses
3. Month 3-4 – Enrolled in Veritas Full Length 42 Hours Prep Course and registered for the GMAT
4. Month 4-5 – Completed all problems in Veritas Workbooks, checked OG 11 for trouble problems, practiced new problems from OG 12, reviewed Princeton Review in brief, read through the Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible, completed some sample Sentence Corrections from 1000SC and of course took about 15 Practice CATs.

Detailed Preparation Steps:

A) Materials used
OG 11 & OG 12 (new problems only), this was THE MOST important reference throughout the process and this fact was proved in my actual GMAT Test.

Veritas Prep Course – the classroom instructions were very useful and worked pretty well for me as I am not that comfortable with Online instructions yet !! (I had to drive 1.5 hrs each way after work, 2 days a week to take this course !!). Also, the workbooks had plenty of problems for practice. Quick footnote: some of their problems were quite odd and their answers were not that acceptable.

Princeton Review Cracking the GMAT Guide – this book is good as an additional reference, but do not follow this to learn strategies. The major part of this book shows you tricks to solve problems on the GMAT, rather than teaching you the necessary skills. I reviewed this book just for the additional practice problems.

Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible – this book is indeed worth reading. If someone has problems with CR, this is probably the best (among OG, Princeton etc). It has limited examples, but the explanations of the different types of questions on the GMAT are very detailed and thorough. If you have just started or are in the middle stage of your prep, please have at least one read through this book. I started late with this book, so could not retain much, but still took some notes and did most of the example problems.

Manhattan Review SC Guide – if you do not want to go through an entire High School Grammar book to learn the rules of SC, this book is the best bet. This book is very concise, highlighting the most frequently tested concepts of GMAT grammar and supporting with relevant examples. Also, at the end of the guide, it has a final suggestion section, that is very good, almost like a flashcard. What is even better is that this guide is free to download from MR website.

B) Additional Resources
GMAT Communities such as Beatthegmat and Gmatclub are great resources for discussing general strategies or specific problems. Although I had hard time to get answers to my queries on Beatthegmat sometimes (being a new user I guess !!), the overall experience was pretty good. In fact, I came to know about the Powerscore CR Bible from the Beatthegmat community. I also referred to the GMAT Flashcards posted there. Moreover, the essay templates that helped me a lot were also taken from this same community.
Attachments

Debrief of GMAT Experience.docx [33.32 KiB]
Downloaded 226 times

To download please login or register as a user

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8379 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 15:35
Expert's post
Impressive doc - thanks for posting. Maybe a good idea to post a shorter version (I am including in your post)
Very well done!!!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 19:25
Excellent post and excellent tips. Best of luck on your applications!
- tsd
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 20:28
Great score. Nice brief. Congrats.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 929 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 21:12
Great score. You definitely earned it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 22:30
Thanks a lot! Very useful post. I have to revise my learning strategy, I guess.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 23:43
thanks for the post!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 11:47
v informative.... thanks !
Re: Fresh out from GMAT (Yesterday) 740 (Q-50, V-40) My Debrief   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2010, 11:47