Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Electronic equipment [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 08:05
I went with A also. Curious why OA is C?

B. is off because Erik seems to be down playing the risk of lightning
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Electronic equipment [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 09:03
Why OA is C? Post the correct answer please
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Electronic equipment [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 19:09
I would have chosen A.

But also need to understand closely why D is not good enough.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Electronic equipment [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 05:09
A
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Electronic equipment [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 03:28
Clearly A.. How OA is C?? Anyone please clarify??

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Electronic equipment [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 05:30
The question specifically asks "Erik’s response fails to establish that Frieda’s recommendation should not be acted on because his response". Basically you need to point out deficiencies in a given recommendation before discounting it. Additional fire causes that Erik is referring to, also need attention but are independent of 'lightening'.

So while Erik is providing additional things to look after, he fails to mention what is wrong with Frieda's recommendation.

Hence A

[quote="pyarapopat"]Well I think both A and B are correct, but going with the GMAT tradition of choosing the best answer I would go with (A)

Can someone explain how (C) is the OA.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Electronic equipment [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 07:36
C
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Electronic equipment [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 19:35
simmy818: Could you please explain how OA is C.
I'm getting it as A. So Confused!! :? :?

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Electronic equipment [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 06:37
IT'S C

because Erik use examples which is out of scope to refute Frieda!!
he says overloaded circuits and faulty wiring cause far more fires~ it's really not the point to compare that!
:)
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 05:34
sondenso wrote:
Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic equipment. Since lightning rods can prevent any major damage, every building should have one.

Erik: Your recommendation is pointless. It is true that lightning occasionally causes fires, but faulty wiring and overloaded circuits cause far more fires and damage to equipment than lightning does.

Erik’s response fails to establish that Frieda’s recommendation should not be acted on because his response

(A) does not show that the benefits that would follow from Frieda’s recommendation would be offset by any disadvantage
(B) does not offer any additional way of lessening the risk associated with lightning
(C) appeals to Frieda’s emotions rather than to her reason
(D) introduces an irrelevant comparison between overloaded circuits and faulty wiring
(E) confuses the notion of preventing damage with that of causing inconvenience

I think C could be the answer because Frieda says emtionally that "every building should have one" if consider it emotional

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 07:34
Hi,
Answer is A
following is the explanation
(A) does not show that the benefits that would follow from Frieda's recommendation would be offset by any disadvantage (appear correct to me)
(B) does not offer any additional way of lessening the risk associated with lightning (Eric is not trying to lessen the risk of lightening)
(C) appeals to Frieda's emotions rather than to her reason (out of scope)
(D) introduces an irrelevant comparison between overloaded circuits and faulty wiring (Eric is not comparing btw OC and FW)
(E) confuses the notion of preventing damage with that of causing inconvenience (Eric has not discussed about causing inconvenience)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 19:23
OK guys, looked up others sites to confirm that A is the correct answer. This question also featured in the GMAT question of the day, so I hope the moderators can correct the answer to this as A instead of C. I think the person posting has made an error.

References:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/lightening-d ... 62627.html
http://www.net-benefits.net/archive/ind ... -4540.html
http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/q18-t1861.html
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 40

Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 19:38
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:
Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic equipment. Since lightning rods can prevent any major damage, every building should have one.

Erik: Your recommendation is pointless. It is true that lightning occasionally causes fires, but faulty wiring and overloaded circuits cause far more fires and damage to equipment than lightning does.

Erik’s response fails to establish that Frieda’s recommendation should not be acted on because his response

(A) does not show that the benefits that would follow from Frieda’s recommendation would be offset by any disadvantage
(B) does not offer any additional way of lessening the risk associated with lightning
(D) introduces an irrelevant comparison between overloaded circuits and faulty wiring

Erik's counter-argument just goes tangential to what Frieda suggested. She's talking about the damages due to Lightning fires....he goes on about electrical fires...

Okay they may cause more damage....but still preventing lightning fires would be effectively done by Frieda's suggested method...

"Where do emotions come into picture?"

The correct answer is A and should be A....

Mods:

please review and if possible, change the OA to A.

KUDOS-ing does'nt cost you anything, but might just make someone's day!!!

"Musings of a Muddled Muggle Mind"
http://felinesmile.blogspot.in/
...comments Welcome :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 04:48
is that Erik's response starts with "your recommendation is pointless"? for my viewpoint, pointless may not be so polite and may imply some negative "emotion".

personally, I support A, which is my 1st impression.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 10:48
Frieda say : lightening causes damage , so lightning rods should be implemented.
Erik : faulty wiring and overloaded circuits causes more damage , so ightning rods should not be implemented.

Erik's reasoning is faulty , since it does not point out any disadvantage of implementing the lightening rods, he just says that some other thing cause more damage.
In order to reject any statement, you need to show some disadvantage of that statement.
Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 01:50
I was confused between A and B..Dont understand why C is correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 70

Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 05:35
sondenso wrote:

Erik accepted the fact that lightning causes fires and he mentioned about other factors that cause fires and damages. But, Erik turned down the recommendation of Frieda and he did not show any reason for rejecting the recommendation.

Logically, reason to reject any recommendation could be either of the following:
1. Disadvantages would prevail over the advantages from the recommended action
2. A better alternative solution can be adopted.

However, Erik's statement does not have any such reasoning.

A) Correct. Erik didn't show any disadvantage that may offset the advantages brought in by Frieda’s recommendation.

B) Incorrect. The word used here is "additional" and not "alternate". If the concern is about additional recommendation, then Erik must have accepted Frieda’s recommendation. But the fact is that Erik rejected Frieda’s recommendation. So, it is pointless to think of "additional" when Erik didn't accept the original recommendation.

C) Out of scope. There is no mention or implication of emotion in Frieda’s statement; rather, Frieda’s recommendation seems to be matter-of-fact. So, Erik didn't “appeal to emotion” at all.

D) Incorrect. Erik said that overloaded circuits and faulty wiring cause more fire damage than lightning. But, he never did any comparison between overloaded circuits and faulty wiring. Where there is no such comparison, obviously there is no "irrelevant comparison".

E) Incorrect. Erik didn’t mention anything about inconvenience. He was concerned about preventing damage only. There is no appearance of Erik's confusion between notion of preventing and notion of causing inconvenience.

Correct Answer is A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 23

Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 06:47
rbansal6 wrote:
I was confused between A and B..Dont understand why C is correct

A is correct. C was wrongly listed on the question of the day today
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 07:02
:?: i went for b, can some can why it is not right ????
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 07:02
:?: i went for b, can some can why it is not right ????
Re: Frieda: Lightning causes fires and damages electronic   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2014, 07:02