Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Friends, I am new to this forum. I am to give my GMAT on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Friends, I am new to this forum. I am to give my GMAT on [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 06:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Friends,
I am new to this forum. I am to give my GMAT on Jan 03, 2006.
I read through some of the stickies and realised that this forum will help me realise my dream score.
I am not sure if this is the way to post the questions. If someone can throw some light.....it will be very helpful.

Dan and Karen, who live 10 miles apart meet at a cafe that is directly north of Dan’s house and directly east of Karen’s house. If the cafe is 2 miles closer to Dan’s house than to Karen’s house, how many miles is the cafe from Karen’s house?
(A) 6
(B) 7
(C) 8
(D) 9
(E) 10
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS - Geometry [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 07:10
Kishore wrote:
Friends,
I am new to this forum. I am to give my GMAT on Jan 03, 2006.
I read through some of the stickies and realised that this forum will help me realise my dream score.
I am not sure if this is the way to post the questions. If someone can throw some light.....it will be very helpful.

Dan and Karen, who live 10 miles apart meet at a cafe that is directly north of Dan’s house and directly east of Karen’s house. If the cafe is 2 miles closer to Dan’s house than to Karen’s house, how many miles is the cafe from Karen’s house?
(A) 6
(B) 7
(C) 8
(D) 9
(E) 10

This will be a right angle.
Hypotenuse = 10
Distance from cafe to Karen = X
Distance from cafe to Dan = X-2

X^2 + (X-2)^2 = 100
X = 8
Ans C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 08:32
Friends,
I misunderstood the question and hence was this post.
Anyways, thanks for your response.

My understanding:
Initially, Cafe is exactly North of Dane and East of Karen. This will definitely form a Right Triangle with 90 Degrees at Cafe point.

Misunderstanding started here...... I thought the cafe is moved 2 miles closer to Dane's place... with this assumption, I was puzzled cos it will no longer be a right triangle.

This was a part of timed test and I got it completely misunderstood. Sad part is even while reviewing, i was in the same old frame of mind.

Thanks for making me realise.

[/img]
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 20:01
Welcome Kishore!

Answer is C.

Its a right triangle with a 3-4-5 legs..or 6-8-10
  [#permalink] 30 Nov 2005, 20:01