Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Friends I am struggling to understand the explanation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Friends I am struggling to understand the explanation [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 02:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

46% (02:18) correct 54% (00:53) wrong based on 13 sessions
Friends I am struggling to understand the explanation provided by OG for the below mentioned SC. Can you guys help??

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

A) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
(B) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
(E) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Would be great if you someone can provide answer and elaborate on the underlying reasons?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1434 [0], given: 245

Re: OG 12 SC: Parallelism (Q88) [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 04:33
Expert's post
The problem in A is the unnecessary intrusion of the word ‘both’; you can not say, 'a body of work" and then ‘both’ ‘‘Both’ has no plural referent.

In B and E, ‘both’ is misleading because there are no two traditions. There is only one tradition, i.e. the stride piano tradition.
In C there are two subjects to the main clause namely, Thelonious Monk and he. The second subject ‘he’ is redundant.
D is the correct choice with a proper contrasting and coordinating conjunction 'yet' that joins the two arms of this compound sentence and with the nosey word ‘both’ having been dropped

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: OG 12 SC: Parallelism (Q88) [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 19:43
His body of work is rooted in stride piano tradition. So there is no use of both

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 2

Re: OG 12 SC: Parallelism (Q88) [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 23:28
This post received
KUDOS
karankhinchi wrote:
Friends I am struggling to understand the explanation provided by OG for the below mentioned SC. Can you guys help??

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

A) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
(B) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
(E) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Would be great if you someone can provide answer and elaborate on the underlying reasons?

My answer was D only :). Lets consider the answer choice E it is wrong because:

Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and (in) Duke Ellington

both in x and in y....so in is missing in second part and also it is not implicit so E is wrong. Answer choice A is wordy and also rejected on the same grounds because it should have been:

both rooted in x and sthelse in y....but the construction is faulty.

Answer choice C is also wordy and improper usage of both as well. B has proper start but same problem with both.

To consider choice D:

Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted...(that is going to give some important information about work and that information is:)

in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington

and then the sentence follows:

yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

Here he properly refers to Monk. So correct choice is D.

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: OG 12 SC: Parallelism (Q88) [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 08:46
Thanks a lot guys gives some clarity
Re: OG 12 SC: Parallelism (Q88)   [#permalink] 20 May 2011, 08:46