Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 04:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Friends, I have a doubt regarding a sentence correction

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Friends, I have a doubt regarding a sentence correction [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 12:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

50% (01:31) correct 50% (00:42) wrong based on 4 sessions
Friends,

I have a doubt regarding a sentence correction question that I came across in the Official Guide's Verbal Review. The correct answer for this question is 'D' and I have no issues with that. But, my doubt is regarding an explanation of the answer choice 'B'. Please see below -

Question # 98 (Sentence Correction. Question & Explanation on Page 299)

Two new studies indicate that many people become obese more due to the fact that their bodies burn calories too slowly than overeating.

Answers:
(a) original statement
(b) due to their bodies burning calories too slowly than to eating too much.
(c) incorrect choice
(d) because their bodies burn calories too slowly than because they eat too much.
(e) incorrect choice.

The correct answer is D.

Explanation for answer choice B.
Due to is not the correct idiom; the two parts of the comparison are not parallel.

I agree Due to is not the correct idiom. But I am not sure why the two parts of the comparison are not parallel.
Aren't 'Due to their bodies burning calories too slowly' and '(due) to eating too much' parallel? I am lost here.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Thx.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 25

Re: Verbal Review SC Question - Official Guide [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 22:37
Phoenix9 wrote:
Friends,

I have a doubt regarding a sentence correction question that I came across in the Official Guide's Verbal Review. The correct answer for this question is 'D' and I have no issues with that. But, my doubt is regarding an explanation of the answer choice 'B'. Please see below -

Two new studies indicate that many people become obese more due to the fact that their bodies burn calories too slowly than overeating.

Answers:
(a) original statement
(c) incorrect choice
(d) because their bodies burn calories too slowly than because they eat too much.
(e) incorrect choice.

The correct answer is D.

Due to is not the correct idiom; the two parts of the comparison are not parallel.

I agree Due to is not the correct idiom. But I am not sure why the two parts of the comparison are not parallel.
Aren't 'Due to their bodies burning calories too slowly' and '(due) to eating too much' parallel? I am lost here.

ok. The original statement seems awkward and redundant cuz it has "due to the fact", so it's out. I don't like D either. First, it has two "because", which doesn't make look like the right answer. Usually these kind of answers are not the correct ones, so I'll drop this as well. B is not perfect to me either, but still it's better than the option D with two "because".

Believe in yourself.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Verbal Review SC Question - Official Guide [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 22:53
If I didn’t know the answer I would have chosen B as well. I think that a second “due to” would not be necessary.

But in terms of the OA I think you answered your own question. Option B does not explicitly state “due to eating too much” it only states “eating too much”. Option D states “more because A than because B” which makes them parallel.

I guess the lesson to learn is that from a GMAT perspective parallelism requires that all constructs are parallel, since this question is from the OG.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 25

Re: Verbal Review SC Question - Official Guide [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 01:49
hmm interesting. I guess in GMAT sometimes you have to choose longer and more awkward answers cuz they are parallel...

Believe in yourself.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Verbal Review SC Question - Official Guide [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 21:35
Phoenix9 wrote:
Friends,

Answers:
(a) original statement
(c) incorrect choice
(e) incorrect choice.

The correct answer is D.

Actually I have a small doubt on B, to make it exactly parallel the construction should be:

Two new studies indicate that many people become obese more

due to their bodies burning calories too slowly than
[due to] their bodies eating too much.

And now I feel this is awkward, as our body does not eat itself. We as people eat, so I would have preferred they here.

Now analyse D.

Two new studies indicate that many people become obese more

because their bodies burn calories too slowly than
because they eat too much.

That looks better to me and so I think D is better option. :)

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Verbal Review SC Question - Official Guide [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 00:17
Between B and D, B misses the parallelism after than.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Re: Verbal Review SC Question - Official Guide   [#permalink] 05 May 2011, 00:17