Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frightened by CR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Frightened by CR [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 05:06
Hi Friends,
I’m facing a big problem in CR… Problem is that I’m not at all improving in CR section. My problem is coming with Strengthen and assumption questions… I’m unable to get those questiions right… I’m trying so hard to concentrate that I’m unable to completely understand those questions and mind is getting tired.
Please suggest… I’ve gone from better to worse in CR.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: Frightened by CR [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 08:17
Expert's post
kawan84 wrote:
Hi Friends,
I’m facing a big problem in CR… Problem is that I’m not at all improving in CR section. My problem is coming with Strengthen and assumption questions… I’m unable to get those questiions right… I’m trying so hard to concentrate that I’m unable to completely understand those questions and mind is getting tired.
Please suggest… I’ve gone from better to worse in CR.

Looks like you're getting lost on CR and even re-reading the question stem is causing more problems.

You need to have a structured approach to these types of questions.

Strengthen questions (excluding helps explain) comprise nearly over 30% of questions -- assumptions (or argument depends) comprise 9% of questions (percentages based on OG13 questions). The whole point is that these are common question types and you'll need to be solid on these -- high chance you'll come across these types of questions during your exam.

At GMATPill, we recommend a 3-step approach.

1) Identify the conclusion -- every strengthen question will have on specific conclusion that we're trying to strengthen -- or figure out what is the basis for that conclusion. So if you re-read the passage multiple times -- well it may not be the most efficient strategy. You need to identify the keywords that would signal a conclusion.

Therefore ....[conclusion]
[conclusion ], since ...[assumption / premise / support ]

2) Visualize the question - use diagrams in your head to piece together the connections that are made in making the argument. We visualize using GMATPill's table-top framework, this way you package every strengthen question into a conclusion (table-top) that is then supported by a supporting-leg.

3) Prethink the answer - once you've visualized the contents of the question stem, you generally can have an expected answer choice in mind before looking at the answer choices. This will help you avoid being mislead by answer choices that are not relevant -- by having an expected answer going in, you avoid too much time re-reading other answer choices -- cuz they'll all pull you in different directions and you'll end up wasting time evaluating each one.

So while the details are difficult to elaborate, a structured approach is best and recognizing some key strategies will save you tons of time and give you clarity. Try some gmat critical reasoning questions using the structured approach to see if the 3-step approach helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3670 [1] , given: 185

Re: Frightened by CR [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Learn “Pre-thinking”, one of the core skills that can be developed to ace Critical Reasoning. Our focus in the session will be on Assumption questions. Using examples, we will demonstrate, how you can solve the most challenging problems easily. While, this session will focus on “Pre-thinking for Assumption”, the tools taught in this session can be easily extended to strengthen, weaken, and evaluate problems as well.

Session Time: Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 7:00 AM Pacific time, 7:30 PM Indian Standard Time

How to attend the session: Click on this link to register for the session.

Many e-GMAT customers have reaped the benefits of Pre-thinking. According to beatTheVerbal (740) - "One under-rated area in CR is prethinking. Pre-thinking is very important to doing CR questions correctly. It is difficult initially but can be learned if you spend time on it. It really helped me improve my CR accuracy on difficult problems. This is one thing that I would recommend to all the non natives.".

-Rajat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: Frightened by CR   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2013, 07:52