Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 01:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (02:11) correct 29% (01:54) wrong based on 118 sessions
Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil samples from Canada’s Kodlunarn Island examined for gold content. Because high gold content was reported,Elizabeth I funded two mining expeditions. Neither expedition found any gold there.
Modern analysis of the island’s soil indicates a very low gold content. Thus the methods used to determine the gold content of Frobisher’s samples must have been inaccurate. Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The gold content of the soil on Kodlunarn Island is much lower today than it was in the sixteenth century.
B. The two mining expeditions funded by Elizabeth I did not mine the same part of Kodlunarn Island.
C. The methods used to assess gold content of the soil samples provided by Frobisher were different from those generally used in the sixteenth century.
D. Frobisher did not have soil samples from any other Canadian island examined for gold content.
E. Gold was not added to the soil samples collected by Frobisher before the samples were examined.

Can anyone help in explaining the answer with some good logic?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gold Content [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 04:10
This post received
KUDOS
Here the conclusion of the agument is that the methods used were wrong
A. since no timelines of Elizabeth's expeditions are given, and in fact it is implied that these were done after Frobisher's exploration - since they were done because of his report only- and since these also didnt find any gold, despite being done in 16th century, Statement A is wrong
B.Weak option - anyway which part of island does modern analysis base itself on - same or not? Since we dont know this, we cant say this is assumption on which the author's argument is based.
C. If methods were different, it doesnt mean they were wrong/ not wrong. incorrect
D. Othe islands are not being talked of here. Incorrect option
E. If frobisher added this gold himself, then both conditions are satisfied- the methods are correct and the soill doesnt have actually any gold. this argument is therefore based on this assumption.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Gold Content [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 10:08
Nicely explained ! Especially the option B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gold Content [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 15:18
E
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gold Content [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:20
+1 for E
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gold Content [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 08:45
+1 E

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gold Content [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 06:13
vot'E' for E

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Gold Content [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 10:39
+1 for E..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gold Content [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 22:03
IMO ans should be E

For C, we donot have sufficient information to assume whether the method used was different or not, but the use of "modern analysis" indicates that the present day test would be more accurate
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Gold Content [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 10:13
E
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Gold Content [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 11:36
E
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 03:28
Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil samples from Canada’s Kodlunarn Island examined for gold content. Because high gold content was reported,Elizabeth I funded two mining expeditions. Neither expedition found any gold there.
Modern analysis of the island’s soil indicates a very low gold content. Thus the methods used to determine the gold content of Frobisher’s samples must have been inaccurate. Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Conclusion: Methods used by F to find gold content were inaccurate.

A. The gold content of the soil on Kodlunarn Island is much lower today than it was in the sixteenth century. This says that gold content was high in the 16th century. Weakens the argument. Hence, cannot be the assumption.
B. The two mining expeditions funded by Elizabeth I did not mine the same part of Kodlunarn Island.
Irrelevant. Same part or different part not mentioned anywhere in the stimulus.
C. The methods used to assess gold content of the soil samples provided by Frobisher were different from those generally used in the sixteenth century. The difference in methods does not matter. What the conclusion says is the method, in fact, was inaccurate.
D. Frobisher did not have soil samples from any other Canadian island examined for gold content.Again, irrelevant.
E. Gold was not added to the soil samples collected by Frobisher before the samples were examined. Negating, Gold WAS added to the soil samples before they were examined. If this were true, then F's methods may have been accurate, and measured HIGH GOLD CONTENT. Hence, the conclusion that F's methods were inaccurate falls apart.

Hope this helps
Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2012, 03:28