Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: gold content [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 14:46
chelliyil wrote:
Frobisher could have mistakely examined for gold on any other island as well too. In that case D would be a choice. Please explain why this option is out.

You cannot assume information that isn't stated in the question. With the given information, she/he/whoever draws the conclusion that the method was innaccurate.

There are many things that could have happened but only the things mentioned in the text are valid for the argument :)

12/2010 GMATPrep 1 620 (Q34/V41)
01/2011 GMATPrep 2 640 (Q42/V36)
01/2011 GMATPrep 3 700 (Q47/V39)
02/2011 GMATPrep 4 710 (Q48/V39)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 1 650 (Q46/V32)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 2 680 (Q46/V36)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 3 710 (Q45/V41)

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1133

Kudos [?]: 5185 [0], given: 164

Re: CR: gold content [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 18:05
Expert's post
chelliyil wrote:
Frobisher could have mistakely examined for gold on any other island as well too. In that case D would be a choice. Please explain why this option is out.

The argument says that he got soil from Kodlunarn island examined. The Queen sent two expeditions there. The argument does not have anything to do with the other islands. It does not assume that he did not get soil of any other island examined. Perhaps he did and found no gold there or perhaps he did find gold there. We do not know and do not care as far as this argument goes. Here we are only concerned with Kodlunarn.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: CR: gold content [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 12:06
fiesta wrote:
Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil samples from Canada’s Kodlunarn Island examined for gold content. Because high gold content was reported, Elizabeth I funded two mining expeditions. Neither expedition found any gold there. Modern analysis of the island’s soil indicates a very low gold content. Thus the methods used to determine the gold content of Frobisher’s samples must have been inaccurate.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) The gold content of the soil on Kodlunarn Island is much lower today than it was in the sixteenth century.
(B) The two mining expeditions funded by Elizabeth I did not mine the same part of Kodlunarn Island.
(C) The methods used to assess gold content of the soil samples provided by
Frobisher were different from those generally used in the sixteenth century.
(D) Frobisher did not have soil samples from any other Canadian island examined for gold content.
(E) Gold was not added to the soil samples collected by Frobisher before the samples were examined.

Clearly E.

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 27

Re: CR: gold content [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 08:22
suesie970 wrote:
321kumarsushant wrote:
can anyone please explain why C is not a correct option??
i am agree with C.
E doesn't make sense to me.
can any one tell me, where can i find the correct solution of this question apart from this discussion.?

321kumarsushant:
Option C says that when Frobisher examined the soil sample for gold he used a different method than anyone else was using back in the 1500s . Even if this is true, this statement does not affect the conclusion at all.
If choice C said "The methods used to assess gold content of the soil samples provided by Frobisher were different from those generally used in the twenty first century.", then it would be a contender for the correct answer.
Hope that helps.

E clearly. It's the only one that strays from the original line of the passage.

Susie,

That amendment to option C was a good addition.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 23:32
+1 E
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 19:14
+1 E

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 01:06
IMO E

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 05:12
E it is. Nice question but E stands out as the assumption.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 02:32
Yes E its very simple.

We need to SUPPORT the assumption that METHOD USED TO TEST GOLD CONTENT was inaccurate.
E ) clearly states that Sample was not wrong and no gold was added to the sample .. so he had sample which had no gold yet his study showed gold was present
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.11
WE: Architecture (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 11:23
It's been assumed that the method was wrong considering no gold was added.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

CAT Tests
Re: CR: gold content [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 16:57
Hey Karishma,

But why not D?

Thanks

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
fiesta wrote:
Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil samples from Canada’s Kodlunarn Island examined for gold content. Because high gold content was reported, Elizabeth I funded two mining expeditions. Neither expedition found any gold there. Modern analysis of the island’s soil indicates a very low gold content. Thus the methods used to determine the gold content of Frobisher’s samples must have been inaccurate.

(A) The gold content of the soil on Kodlunarn Island is much lower today than it was in the sixteenth century.
(B) The two mining expeditions funded by Elizabeth I did not mine the same part of Kodlunarn Island.
(D) Frobisher did not have soil samples from any other Canadian island examined for gold content.
(E) Gold was not added to the soil samples collected by Frobisher before the samples were examined.

Let us read the question stem first. We are looking for an assumption. An assumption is a necessary missing premise. We are looking for the option that needs to be true for the conclusion to be true.

Premises:
Frobisher had soil samples from Canada’s Kodlunarn Island examined for gold content.
Because high gold content was reported, Elizabeth I funded two mining expeditions.
Neither expedition found any gold there.
Modern analysis of the island’s soil indicates a very low gold content.

Tell me, when you read the above premises, what possibilities come to mind? Frobisher had samples examined. High gold content was reported. No gold was actually found. Modern analysis show very low gold content.

The following possibilities come to my mind:
1. Either there was gold and before the expeditions were sent, it was mined (very unlikely!)
2. His methods were inaccurate.
3. Someone had added gold to the soil he tested.

Conclusion:
The methods used to determine the gold content of Frobisher’s samples must have been inaccurate.

If I am concluding that his methods were inaccurate, then I am assuming that no one added gold to his samples and gold was not mined before the expeditions were sent. (Technically, gold could have been added and his methods could have been inaccurate too but lets not mess with that.)
Hence option (E) is an assumption.
Also, use you can use assumption negation technique to see that it is the right answer.
I negate (E) : Gold was added to the soil samples collected by Frobisher before the samples were examined.

I can not conclude now that his methods were inaccurate.
Hence (E) is the correct answer.

Option (C) is not correct. We did not assume in the argument that his methods were different. They could have been the same ones generally used in the 16th century, It is possible that 16th century methods were not accurate.
Expert Post

Re: CR: gold content [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 22:42
Expert's post
Shibs wrote:
Hey Karishma,

But why not D?

Thanks

frobisher-a-sixteenth-century-english-explorer-had-soil-69072-20.html#p839717

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 18

Re: CR: gold content [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 01:57
How could D be a choice?

Negate D and check.

Frobisher has soil samples from other Canadian island examined for gold content.

Even though he has examined soil samples from other islands, his method could still be inaccurate. Thus D would not hurt the conclusion by negation.

Answer is E.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 06:08
Look at 5 choices:

A) Doesn't support the conclusion: lower gold content today suggests that finding low gold content doesn't imply the inaccuracy of the method.

B) Same as A: "didn't mine the same part" => cannot conclude anything about the method's accuracy

C) out of scope: "the method generally used in the 16th century" is irrelevant. Such a comparison between 2 methods provides no help.

D) The statement is not enough for us to establish any inference about the method mentioned in the original argument

E) Using negation technique: What happens if this stat isn't true? As gold was added to the samples before they were checked, the reported high gold content is due to fraudulence (my own idea!), rather than the method's inaccuracy => invalidate the conclusion.

Pick E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 06:12
Hi Chiranjeev,

The conclusion of the argument questioned the accuracy of the method used by Frobisher . keeping this in mind.

in option D states after negation that Frobisher soil sample is taken form an other canadian island. So doesnt weaken the conclusion. or firstly it is like it doesn't say anything about the from where does the modern analysis has taken soil sample it might be from the same place and secondly in conclusion we are taking about the Method only.

Is my understanding correct?

one more question ,generally in assumption question , if any option shatters the premise, or weakens the premise or just a we get obtain statement after negation which is just the opposite of the given premises does that statement is a valid assumption.

i think it won't fall into the category of new information ,and secondly it should be related to the conclusion ,this could be reasons for not considering the statement as a valid assumption

correct me where I'm wrong.

Thanks
Nitin Singh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2014, 00:41
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
fiesta wrote:

Let us read the question stem first. We are looking for an assumption. An assumption is a necessary missing premise. We are looking for the option that needs to be true for the conclusion to be true.

Premises:
Frobisher had soil samples from Canada’s Kodlunarn Island examined for gold content.
Because high gold content was reported, Elizabeth I funded two mining expeditions.
Neither expedition found any gold there.
Modern analysis of the island’s soil indicates a very low gold content.

Tell me, when you read the above premises, what possibilities come to mind? Frobisher had samples examined. High gold content was reported. No gold was actually found. Modern analysis show very low gold content.

The following possibilities come to my mind:
1. Either there was gold and before the expeditions were sent, it was mined (very unlikely!)
2. His methods were inaccurate.
3. Someone had added gold to the soil he tested.

Conclusion:
The methods used to determine the gold content of Frobisher’s samples must have been inaccurate.

If I am concluding that his methods were inaccurate, then I am assuming that no one added gold to his samples and gold was not mined before the expeditions were sent. (Technically, gold could have been added and his methods could have been inaccurate too but lets not mess with that.)
Hence option (E) is an assumption.
Also, use you can use assumption negation technique to see that it is the right answer.
I negate (E) : Gold was added to the soil samples collected by Frobisher before the samples were examined.

I can not conclude now that his methods were inaccurate.
Hence (E) is the correct answer.

Option (C) is not correct. We did not assume in the argument that his methods were different. They could have been the same ones generally used in the 16th century, It is possible that 16th century methods were not accurate.

Karishma , can I paraphrase the above highlighted explanation as

Negative E - Gold was added to the soil samples collected by Frobisher before the samples were examined.

Now that if gold was added before examination and the examination rightly pointed this out - it clearly shows that the technical method to determine the gold content was not in-accurate ( though the step of fudging sample was morally wrong but that is altogether a different matter)

So negating assumption , destroys the conclusion , hence E it is
Expert Post

Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2014, 02:02
Expert's post
himanshujovi wrote:

Karishma , can I paraphrase the above highlighted explanation as

Negative E - Gold was added to the soil samples collected by Frobisher before the samples were examined.

Now that if gold was added before examination and the examination rightly pointed this out - it clearly shows that the technical method to determine the gold content was not in-accurate ( though the step of fudging sample was morally wrong but that is altogether a different matter)

So negating assumption , destroys the conclusion , hence E it is

Yes, that's correct. If Gold was added, we don't know who did it so we cannot blame Frobisher or his methods. All we know is that his methods to determine gold content could have been accurate.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2014, 02:02