Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 380 to 600..but lots of problems with pacing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

From 380 to 600..but lots of problems with pacing [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 12:03
Hello!

Although I visited this forum some months ago, this is the first time I write. The first MGMAT CAT gave me a 380!! So I had lots of work to do! I started studying for the Gmat in november 2009. I´ve been seriously studying...2 hours everyday after my job and also 4 hours or more on saturdays and sundays. I have finished 5 Quantitative MGMAT books, Kaplan book and quantitative OG (quantitative reviw) and two weeks ago I took a Princeton CAT test and gave me a 590 (Q:43 V:28). After two weeks of strong preparation, yesterday I took the Gmat prep. CAT and got 600 (Q:39 V:34). I was supposed to take the exam in april, but I need at least a 700 as my GPA is very low. I wil pospone the date of the exam, but I feel I am stucked in 600 and have a HUGE problem with pacing in Quantitative...

The last CAT I took, I only solve 30 questions!! After 6 months of study I cannot solve all the problems on the real time!!! This really worries me and makes me think if it is possible to improve pacing. There are questions that take me 100 years to figure how to solve. I feel, I know the background as I have studied very much.. I have a mix of feelings...

How much time it would take to improve 100 points? And it is possible to improve pacing (in Quant)?

I will appreciate your posts....

Thanks!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 380 to 600..but lots of problems with pacing [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 14:44
Your problem, as far as I can understand is not with pacing. Pacing comes naturally when you have developed a natural streak at solving problems faster without actually trying to be quick. I tend to think that you need to work diligently on the following aspects.

1) Read the question carefully, develop the habit of reading the question only once, may be a little slowly, with pausing, but surely understanding what exactly is given and what exactly is asked. You must develop the technique of segregating the data and information appropriately, without possibility of any mistake.

2) When you know what is given, and what is asked, you must then naturally think of how to get there. Most quant problems follow patterns. There are numerous problems on this forum for each question type. Word problems, DS questions, number theory, probability, permutations and combinations, statistics, exponents and fractions, geometry, coordinate geometry, algebra........etc etc, sustained practise alone can help you quickly figure out the right method, right procedure of approaching to the solution for any problem. The same applies for verbal as well. Verbal too, follows specific rules. The ability to apply the right rule blindly without much guidance, and without your conscious effort should come naturally. This can be gained only with more and more practise.

3) Practise reading. Read a lot, read anything and everything. And when you read, don't just read. Understand the gist, read critically, comprehend seriously, digest the data, facts and information, analyze the context and content, identify the structure, style and pattern of the content at hand. This practise is to improve sustained focus. Concentrating for 4 hours at a stretch is a pretty tough job.

4) Solve questions, maintain an error log. It will constantly keep track of your fundamentals and basics and helps you fall back when you are facing a troubling issue at solving any tough questions. No questions are as such tough or easy, it all depends on your state of mind at any given moment. But GMAT questions, all follow specific patterns. The quicker you can identify the pattern, the easier the question becomes and the faster you can answer it.

5) Take full-length timed tests regularly. Most important aspect of all is the ability to focus for longer hours without feeling/getting tired. You need to train your concentration in such a way that despite getting tired, you should still suck up energy from the remotest body parts for use by your brain.

6) Stay healthy, stay positive, GMAT is not the end, it is just a part of the journey.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 380 to 600..but lots of problems with pacing [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 19:10
Very good advices from Barney. Agree 100%

On the other hand, congratz from going 380 to 600. Huge improvement already man, keep up the good work
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From 380 to 600..but lots of problems with pacing [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 19:58
Thank you Barney! I am sure the tips will be really helpful!!

I just wonder, how log should I pospone the exam? 3 months, 6 months, maybe more...
Re: From 380 to 600..but lots of problems with pacing   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2010, 19:58