Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 420 to 700....... It is good to be part of the 700 Club

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

HELLO POSITIVE SOUL! I NEED YOUR ADVICE... VERY SIMILAR CASE [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 18:46
Positive soul, congrats on your score! I hope everything goes good with your applications.

I think I am I am in the same situation as you were...

I started my GMAT preparation in Feb 06, with a course that has the standard preparation as many of those in the United States. Because of my job and many other activities, my dedication to my GMAT has not been as consequent as it should be, and I do admit that in practice, I have not taken into full priority.

Basically I’ve been on and off for the past 8 months. My goal is to begin a MBA program in fall 207, and the clock is ticking…. For the past 5 weeks I have been studying non stop, and took my two week vacation to study for my gmat. I actually took the test on oct 30th and got a 460 score… this was very disappointing, and made me realize that if this is what I really want in my life, I would have to dedicate all my time to achieve this goal.

My goal is to enroll in a quality MBA program, which has a strong entrepreneurial vain, and from what I have seen, a 650 score is a must, to be considered for any of these schools. I plan to start a 6 week study plan before the second round of most schools begin (Dec-15th Jan 11th), and planning to retake the test the 19th of December.

Please advice me how I should focus, and if you think it’s possible to achieve, or if I should take more time before I re-take the test. I have most of the material that is usually used: OG11 book, and the Kaplan 2006 book.

This was my official score:

Quant 29 scaled score, 27% percentile
Verbal 23 scaled score, 31% percentile
Toatl 460, 27% percentile

Thanks for your time!

Jose Vicente

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Truly Inspiring Story [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 17:58
Positive soul:
The message i take from your post is ' Never ever give up'.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Good luck.

Bhaarat
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 02:13
Your story is very inspiring.... CONGRATULATIONS

I have one question... how long did it take you to make the last improvement : from 510 to 700?

I have recently taken the test and i got 570 (Q32, V36). I aim for 680+ I have limited time before the 2nd round of application to make that leap (probably only 1- 1.5 month of study) . DO you think it is manageable? Is it realistic to go from 570 to 680 in this restricted time frame??
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 21:02
hello everybody! this is my first post but i also have smth to share with you. I started my preparation for GMAT from the beginning of Aug this year and that wasn't actual preparation as i understood later but on my first test (Oct 5, 2006) i got 510 (Q 45, V17 :( ) Verbal part is my weak part of the exam. After the test i understood there is smth more i have to study and i found lots of strategies i didn't know before (Before i used no books just tests whish i downloaded from the internet).

My second try i had yesterday i was preparing for it for a month and i was 100% sure i'll get at least 650 as i read the books and practiced more. But yesterday when the screen showed me 570 (Q39, V28) I concentrated this time more on verbal part but i lost on quant :(

Now i'm reading all your posts and to make a plan and change my strategy to improve the scores. Also i'm a bit dissapointed with all the book as they don't reflect the real test. On the CD tests from the book i had 700, 720, 690 but the real test is much harder. Now im' looking for the hardest questions the GMAT has and asking you to advice me some.

Also i heard so many things about OG (Official Guide i guess) Can somebody send me a link where i can find or buy this book.
Thank you in advance.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 14:48
Hi guys,

Thank you once again for your kind words and sorry for the late reply (but I was enjoying my "GMAT free time" :lol:

To answer some of the questions:

cute_smiley

Check out this link. These tools are Key to a good score. Don't forget to download the GMATPrep software.

http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/Take ... YouPrepare

I know you want to improve your verbal skills but you should not forget about the quant. I had the same problem like you did. I put too much effort to improve my quant but my verbal scores were actually going down. So I started to allocate the same amount of time for both sections (when possible).

wessam20

In my case, it took me about 3 months. However, I believe it could be done in less if you put the time and committment.

josevsilva

6 weeks should be enough. However, track your improvement and be honest with yourself. If you are still too far from your target and you don't feel confortable with yourself, I will reconsider the test date. However, don't be discouraged if you get low scores in your practice tests. As you will read in many posts in the GMAT Club, sometimes people actually do better in the real test than in the practice tests. All depends on the test provider (Kaplan, Princeton, etc).. The GMATprep software is the best way to assess yourself. I notice improvement after taking my GMATprep test #1 and analizing each question carefully. My advise is to study for 3 weeks and take your first test. I know some people say to save these tests for the end but I believe it is useful to take sometime to analize each question to learn from them, and retake the test a few times until you feel comfortable. I will save the last test for the last week of preparation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 21:12
Hi positive soul, boy your name fits you well! Your story is such an inspiring one that it will now be a beacon for many members for the years to come. You are so right about the GMAT taking such a toll in your life... I also had to sacrifice so much during the preparation time which took me about 2 years until I got what I wanted so I definitely understand what you mean.
You should definitely stick around to the club and give a helping hand to other new members. Keep in touch and do like many of us did after having completed our GMAT. Last but not least, C O N G R A T U L A T I O N ! ! !

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 10:18
Wow! Was very inspired by your story, positive soul. I am scheduled to take my exam in 2 weeks and i'm starting to get REALLY nervous. You're post helped me calm down a bit and be more optimistic.

All the best with your apps! And thanks for sharing your success story!

Impossible is nothing

Manager
Manager
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2006, 04:16
Thank you Paul!!

I will definitively remain as an active member of this club.
Intern
Intern

Re: From 420 to 700....... It is good to be part of the 700 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 10:21
Wow, Can you share with me how did you raise 700 score?
What book did you use? How did you manage your time?

Thank you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 10:14
positive soul ... amazing story and what a great achievement. CONGRATULATIONS !!!
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation of how you improved your score. All the things you have mentioned there about careless mistakes and other usual pitfalls people fall in while studying are soooo true...this story will really help those who are trying to improve their score ... thanks man ... really inspiring story ...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 07:19
Thanks for the great post and a belated congrats! Not sure if you still check the site but wanted to see if you got excepted to any schools yet?
Intern
Intern

Do jumps in score get looked at favorably [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 17:04
pelihu's comment makes me think - does a 500-700 jump get viewed more favorably than a 700 at 1st attempt?[/quote]

If this were so, wouldn't we all go in there and bomb one? Hell I'll show you a 400 point increase if thats the case.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: From 420 to 700....... It is good to be part of the 700 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 03:36
positive soul wrote:
Hi guys,

I just came back from the test center with a big smile on my face. :-D

Got a 700 (Q47, V39). As many of you guys remember, I joined this site after getting a 420 back in October. I was feeling so down that I chose "positive soul" as my username. I have to say that the road was not easy, but I found very helpful all the support I got from you guys.

I am exhausted, so I will write in more details in the next few days.

Now, I am going to sleep. :-D

Remember to never give up.

Great Stuff congrats
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2007, 08:10
bumping for sticky.
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

[#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2007, 07:23
congrats dude!!!
one of the most inspiring stories ive heard!
Intern
Intern

Because of you I know it can be done! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 12:54
Positive Soul your story was definitely God sent. I happened to see this site randomly today and your post was the first I visited. I took my first official GMAT in Feb 07 and after scoring in the high 300s I became so discouraged at the idea of going to bschool that I started slacking on my study schedule. I finally mustered up the courage last week to get my act together and by reading your story I know it is definitely doable. I'm even more excited to hear you'll be joining the Lauder Institute at Wharton because I'm highly interested in that program. I've given myself 3 months to crack into the 500s and thereafter I'll start focusing on pursuing the 700+. I'll keep in touch but best of luck with everything Positive Soul!! Your story is my inspiration.

Strong Will
Intern
Intern

Really Inspiring [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 04:46
This is really inspiring and motivating, I have been preparing for GMAT since last three months now. I had taken few Kaplan tests and getting scroe in the range of 500-580. I felt quite upset after seeing my scores, but I think afer reading this motivating story , I will get back to my preparation and try to break the 750 barrier.

--P

Manager
Manager

GMAT revisited:Quest for 700 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 07:34
Hi everyone,
I have been a regular contributor,but positive soul's score is still an inspiration for me.I got 430 on my first attempt in December,in April my score was 560.I really want to get at least 700 to give me a good chance to get into either York University or University of Toronto.
Any advice and encouragement will be greatly appreciated.Once again congrats, Positive soul.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 07:55
Seriously dude, with that sort of dedication I think you could just about succeed in almost anything you put your mind too. Good luck at Wharton and congrats on the well deserved admit.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 09:58
Truly Inspiring. What a commiittment and dedication: you were carrying your Gmat book all over the place you visited.

Congratulation and goodluck.

Professor
  [#permalink] 18 May 2007, 09:58