Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 00:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 450 to 470 to ?????

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

From 450 to 470 to ????? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 03:44
Hello people,

I am quite new to this forum.

I had given a GMAT Prep Test (some 1 1/2 months back) without any preparation and had scored a dismal 450 ....
Knowing right away that this score is way toooooo low ...i consoled myself then saying that with more preparation and strategies i can achieve my aim .....

A month and half preparation from the OG and solving every sum/question from it (though taking atleast double the time for the tougher ones).. i thought i would be able to get a decent score this time around.
I gave a mock test (the 2nd one from GMATPrep) yesterday and scored a 470 ...
I could solve 21 questions from Quant
and 29 from Verbal ....

What do i do ?
Clearly speed is the problem and on more digging i see comprehension being a more important problem.I had to read questions twice or thrice to understand them properly.This i think is more of a mindset problem more than anything else.

Upon analysis of this 2nd test i got to know that i got 1st question wrong in Verbal and in total 4 (I think) in the first ten.
In Quant I got questions 3 and 4 wrong.
Out of the 16 unsolved remaining questions in Quant I got only 1 correct and in Verbal I think i got 2 correct.

My questions to you all are:

1) Is it that the first 10 questions of the GMAT exam of both the sections more important than the rest of them ?
If Yes , can we be so sure of this that we can think of using this fact in our strategy ? I mean giving more time , upto 3
minutes for the first 10 questions and making sure that we them right.

2) They say in a CAT , if you give a correct answer the next question is more difficult. If this is true then arent you faced with a question with a question which is simply the most difficult in a short time from the start of your exam considering you give all the answers correct till then?

What do you do with such a question ?? Just guess ??

What strategies do you guys employ when you are faced with a question which is difficult or beyond your comprehension
or if you are sure that you would not be able to solve the problem ?

Though answers/comments from all of you are welcome , the people who have given the GMAT and scored around < 700 .. Can you let me know whether you had a smooth ride through the entire GMAT exam Or was it that you guys had some tough/extremely difficult questions which you just guessed over ?

Please let me know your comments on the questions ...
It will help me better analyze my weakness(es) which currently seems to be speed and comprehension.

Regards,
Mahesh
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

QUestions [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 05:32
Hey, keep your head up, you should read my story, anyway, I have recently bought the PR GMAT and it said that by half way through the test, the test will pretty much know what you got, so my understanding is that if you guess randomly on the last 7 you will still pretty much get the same score. I would just work on the basics and try to speed up my time by eliminating answer choices.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 450 to 470 to ????? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 07:50
I have noticed(on GMATPrep) that first questions ARE IMPORTANT. Equally important is to avoid a string of wrong answers. Don't make blind guesses, unless you have to. Remember there is huge penalty for not finishing the test.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From 450 to 470 to ????? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 11:09
Thank you guys.
That helped.
Re: From 450 to 470 to ?????   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2008, 11:09