Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 470 to 640

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

From 470 to 640 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 11:05
Hi all!
I didn't post to often here, sorry for that, my life is pretty busy.

I know this is not a very high score, is not 700, or above, but for me it means so much!

So, here is my GMAT history, official tests - I took it four times

1. November 2005 - 470 (Q35, V20)
2. July 2006 - 510 (Q41, V20)
3. July 2007 - 530 (Q35, V27)
4. October 2007 - 640 (Q42, V36)

Four times over a two year period - that does not mean that I studied for 2 years! For the 1st exam I prepared about one month, I did only one practice exam, and I said that should be enough. Well, it was not...
I took the preparation more seriously for the second time. But since I know myself I am not a good test taker. I couldn't cope with the stres of the exam.

About the study:

I started every preparation about 3 months before the exam. I studied like one hour on working days, and about 3-4 hours in weekends. In the last month I took tw practice tests every weekend. That was still not enough for the 2nd and the 3rd time.

After the 3rd time I completely changed strategy! From the July session I already had the basics. So I tried to focus on error logs! Yes this is what I neglected before. So I made error logs and I worked on them. And I took a 10 days holiday for intensive study; is not too much but as a Finance Manager I didn't have time for more holidays.

Verbal:

I did about 20 SC per day, 2 RC passages, 10 CR. All these from July to October. On weekends I paid special attention to the errors I made during the week. It worked, I scored in the 80% on the verbal. From 20%!

Math:

I studied the math section every second day, more extensively during the weekends. I'm a little dissapointed above the math section, I don't know what happend during the exam. I lost to much time on the first 10-15 questions, I wanted to mark good answers on the first questions. I received the first probability question at number 27 or 28, don't remember, then another one at 34. But from 30 I mostly guessed, I didn't have to much time left.

Study materials:

OFFICIAL GMAT REVIEW, 11th edition
OFFICIAL GMAT REVIEW 11TH edition verbal
MANHATTAN GMAT PREP books + online question banks
Kaplan Premier 2006 edition

I really don't remember how many practice exams I did at home, I scored around 550 in Kaplan and around 680 on OFFICIAL GMAT Prep.

I am dissapointed about the math section, but I'll move forward with my application.

I want to apply at Duke and GSB. I have 5 years work experience from which 4 as a Finance Manager, I'm doing pretty well at the company where I work, and at this point I feel confident about my application.

This is my experience I hope it helps. Again, I know is not a spectacular score, but what I want to emphasize here is that an increase in the verbal section from 20% to 80% is possible, even if someone is not a native speaker. All you need is systematic hard work!.

Cheers,

Adydas78
GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!

Last edited by adydas78 on 12 Oct 2007, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 11:11
Congratulations, adydas! Well done - you are living proof that perseverance pays off...

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 11:21
uphillclimb wrote:
Congratulations, adydas! Well done - you are living proof that perseverance pays off...

Thanks!

This makes me feel better!

I was reading minutes ago all these posts with people unhappy about their 690. I would also like a 690 but after four times I think it's time to move on. I do believe that the application is not only about the GMAT score. I'm not a fresh college graduate unfortunately (or maybe not :) ) I have a lot of other responsibilities in my life, I have a job where I have to be present about 10 hours a day, I think this will count on the admission process.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 18:27
This is a great improvement. It takes lot of courage in your situation and so easy to give up. I congratulate you for the perseverance. Good luck with your applications.
  [#permalink] 11 Oct 2007, 18:27