Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [22]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: From 480 to 400 to 490 to 610 my journey. [#permalink]
Congratulations on the score and the admits... Wish you all the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
thank you ppl let me know if you have any questions or if you need any help will be more than happy to help :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Congratulations. Appreciate the sheer determination that led to a 130 points increase for you.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Congrats Ayesha on achieving your goal..Wish you all the best ..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Congrats!!! on the great improvement! How many mock exams did you take? What was your timing strategy for Verbal section?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 02-12-2014
GPA: 3.4
WE:Sales (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
This is indeed great improvement. Anyone would appreciate your spirit of not giving up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey,

I read your post today and couldn't help but reply. Firstly, Congrats!!!!..... I know exactly what you are talking about as i have gone through a similar journey.
I gave my GMAT 4 times.. in my first attempt i scored a 470, second and third : 570.
I was so depressed and upset. Everyone kept telling me that you need at least a score of 600 plus. I was really low on confidence and didn't know if i should give it the fourth time. I felt exactly how you have described it.
I saw that for a lot of people getting a 650 is not that difficult, but for me crossing a score of 600 has also become a big challenge.
Luckily I came across the e-gmat course, and I have to say that really helped me pull my verbal score from 21 to 31. It was an eye opener for me, and I realized why i was screwing up in my verbal section. Finally, I managed to score a 620 in my fourth attempt.
I know its not a very good score, and I still hear people saying that you should give a 5th attempt. But I really don't know if I should.
But, after hearing your story, I now feel more confident of getting admissions at schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Hi Ayesha, great post. Congratulations on your success. am sure your hard work is paying off now. I would appreciate your guidance n some help regarding my preparation for gmat. I took GMAT classes from Jamboree last year and took the exam earlier this year in February and scored 470 :( (though I was getting around 650 in GMAT prep mocks). I am preparing again and have around 30 days window to appear for GMAT. I am particularly lagging behind in Verbal. I am studying Manhattan SC CR books and practicing questions from GMAT Club topic wise forum. I dont have any trick for RC and this is the reason my RC is really terrible. What would you suggest me at this point of time? Should I go for any compact GMAT preparatory course? Any suggestion/guidance will be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Komal
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Komal,

To start, the other posts in this thread are almost 3 years old, so it's likely that all of those posters are long gone.

When the types of score drops like the one you experienced occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day.

If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE you took these CATs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Hi Rich,
Thanks for your Reply. Here are my answers to your questions -
1)Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? -yes
2) Did you take them at home? - some at home, but mostly at center
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT? -yes
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? - no, I followed gmat prep software break guidelines. Took all the sections one by one.
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE you took these CATs? No,I never repeated any cat. Questions were mostly different except one or two.

Thanks,
Komal

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
ayesha1987 wrote:
Appearing for the fourth time wasn't easy. After the previous unsuccessful attempts, it was devastating, took a lot of courage and a lot of support from my husband and family. They believed in me and had the confidence that I could kill the beast (that's what GMAT was for me).

Congratulations on your score and geeting into the school you applied!
I am going through something similar... I actually am an engineer and thought Quant would be easy for me... but then I got my score...440! I felt so embarrased! I have also always excelled in everything, so I (and everyone else) expected much more.
I really (really !!) appreciate your post, knowing that I am not the only one in the GMAT Club that does not score over 600 in their first attempt, and also knowing you can get there!!!

A big hug.

Paula
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
From 480 to 400 to 490 to 610 my journey. [#permalink]
"I know 610 isn’t as good as 700 but for me it is an achievement, the much needed success to get back the belief in myself."

Hi, I can relate to your situation, I am a English Literature grad and terrified of maths. Scored a 320 on Kaplan, then after some prep 1.5 months with some Manhattan material, I scored a 470 on the actual test(took a break of about 3 months and tried to rethink my approach), bought magoosh(primarily for quant) and egmat for verbal and studied it...
recently gave a gmatprep mock last week, scored a 600 Q42 and V31, sat quietly and cried when I saw that 600, this has given me the confidence that I have the capability to hit a 700, got 7 weeks to the test, will put in my best effort to hit that 700

also which university did you get a scholarship from if you could mention the name...

your story is :good
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Neha,

Ayesha has graduated. Please click here to know more about her.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.04
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Aisha,
Great Debrief. How did you manage to improve on the RC? Taking notes is surely helpful but if you write them down they take way too much time.
Could you please elaborate on how you prepared specifically for the RC? My accuracy on the RC is around 20% and it kills my verbal score on the practice CATs. Also I take way too long to solve them.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts