Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 11:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 490 > 670 > 620. >=[ I'm I screwed?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
From 490 > 670 > 620. >=[ I'm I screwed? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 06:18
So, I'm finally done with the GMAT, and it's not because I came out victorious and got a 700 + - Things didn't turn out as well as I expected, and I can't afford to spend more time studying for it.

But again, just wanted to thank gmatclub and its members for their wisdom, as there would have been no way I would have jumped from 490 to 670 in the first place without you guys/gals :P

I took the GMAT in Dec 08, and got a 670. I studied 6 more months, betting that I would break the 700 mark, but I felt short... extremely short. It was a gamble, and I was confident, but I guess it just didn't work out. It took me awhile to get over it, but I guess I'm more at peace with the score now.

So here's the rundown:
Attempt 1 - 490 Q30 V 27, AWA 4.5
Attempt 2 - 670 Q46 V 36, AWA 6.0
Attempt 3 - 620 Q42 V 35, AWA 5.5

My concern is the broad range of scores I've received on the test. Is this going to be frowned upon? Few friends told me that the jump from 490 to 670 is good, but now with the 620 in the mix, does that negatively impact me? People say that only the highest score counts, but I feel that is subjective when admissions review all the previous scores as well. Would they think I got lucky?

I'm appling for Fall 2010. Of course, I had hopes for HBS, Wharton and Columbia, but now they're all long shots.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 490 > 670 > 620. >=[ I'm I screwed? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
Lol. Thanks man, I always love your insights.

bb wrote:
I think the 670 can work.

The 700 gives you a fuzzy warm feeling, but 670 can work too but by no means a guarantee.

Retaking the test is a tough proposition - a number of people get lower scores, esp after extended amount of studying and time. I would get a good eval from one of the admissions consultants and see if your score will be in the way or potentially your overall application needs to be strengthened regardless of GMAT score to get into Wharton or HBS or Columbia.

You are obviously very familiar with GMAT Club - you have seen the thread about admits and dings: 2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html - this is the 2010 thread (see the 2009 one linked there).

I think your success with admissions will depend on Strategy and positioning. I would do a research or if you are short on time hire a consultant who would just put it all on the paper in terms of your options with each school, what is lacking and when it is best to apply. Then you will know your options. You still have plenty of time to address any weaknesses.

If the top 5 are indeed your dream - pursue it! Don't let GMAT score get in your way - it is not permanent and fixable - I know it feels that it may not be after prepping for 6 months, but it is - you will look at it and laugh in a few years (just dont' forget about us as you are cruising in your S600).

-
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 490 > 670 > 620. >=[ I'm I screwed? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 07:40
I don't think that drop from 670 to 620 will damage your application. You should be competitive (based just on GMAT score) at Trans Elites and some Elites, and of course on majority of Euro schools except LBS and INSEAD. Vast majority of schools pay attention only to your highest score, so the school that would have admitted you with 670 is going to do so with 670 -> 620, also. I wouldn't worry about that at all. You just have to select schools carefully in order to find couple of schools in which 670 is competitive.

Btw, how old are you and what is your work experience?

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 490 > 670 > 620. >=[ I'm I screwed? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 07:54
I'm 28, with 5-6 years of work experience in technology financial/process management.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2156

Kudos [?]: 7561 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: From 490 > 670 > 620. >=[ I'm I screwed? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 09:54
Expert's post
I think the 670 can work.

The 700 gives you a fuzzy warm feeling, but 670 can work too but by no means a guarantee.

Retaking the test is a tough proposition - a number of people get lower scores, esp after extended amount of studying and time. I would get a good eval from one of the admissions consultants and see if your score will be in the way or potentially your overall application needs to be strengthened regardless of GMAT score to get into Wharton or HBS or Columbia.

You are obviously very familiar with GMAT Club - you have seen the thread about admits and dings: 2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html - this is the 2010 thread (see the 2009 one linked there).

I think your success with admissions will depend on Strategy and positioning. I would do a research or if you are short on time hire a consultant who would just put it all on the paper in terms of your options with each school, what is lacking and when it is best to apply. Then you will know your options. You still have plenty of time to address any weaknesses.

If the top 5 are indeed your dream - pursue it! Don't let GMAT score get in your way - it is not permanent and fixable - I know it feels that it may not be after prepping for 6 months, but it is - you will look at it and laugh in a few years (just dont' forget about us as you are cruising in your S600).

-

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: From 490 > 670 > 620. >=[ I'm I screwed?   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2009, 09:54