Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: from 510,500 to 640 - I am done and satisfied! [#permalink]
Congrats!!!

Thanks a lot for your post.
I am pretty much in the same position... I will take the GMAT for a second time next week. My first GMAT exam was a frustrating 420!
Even though my prep Exams were between 500-600.

You are completely right about the thing to fid your mind...

Madhukarsp, thanks once again that you shared your experience!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
from 510,500 to 640 - I am done and satisfied! [#permalink]
AnikaJu wrote:
Congrats!!!

I am pretty much in the same position... I will take the GMAT for a second time next week. My first GMAT exam was a frustrating 420!

I'm in the same boat. My prep scores were anywhere between 560 and 640, and on the real thing I got a 460. After pulling myself back together I realized that during the test i was more focused on what my score was going to be and how missing a question would impact my score, than I was focusing on the actual exam. No wonder I did so poorly. Anyway I am scheduled to take it again next week (12/5) and If i get anything over 560 I will be pretty happy.

Originally posted by bbednar on 25 Nov 2015, 09:26.
Last edited by bbednar on 03 Dec 2015, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
HI All,

Many Test Takers get frustrated at a certain point in their studies, but they refuse to properly ask for help. Doing some light research/reading has the potential to help, but if you're not hitting your goals, then you really have to decide what's more important - studying in the same ways as you have been OR seeking the personalized Expert advice that you need to improve (and then following that advice). Your future/Schooling/career/etc. will be significantly impacted by your GMAT score - so you shouldn't try to internalize everything and 'figure it out for yourself.' The GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You just need the right amount of time and training.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bbednar wrote:
AnikaJu wrote:
Congrats!!!

I'm in the same boat. My prep scores were anywhere between 560 and 640, and on the real thing I got a 640. After pulling myself back together I realized that during the test i was more focused on what my score was going to be and how missing a question would impact my score, than I was focusing on the actual exam. No wonder I did so poorly. Anyway I am scheduled to take it again next week (12/5) and If i get anything over 560 I will be pretty happy.

thanks for the wishes.
Guys don't be disheartened and never ever obsess with the GMAT in an unhealthy way. You can score at any level you want not just 640. I completely agree with what Rich said below. Ask for help if you need help. Doing the same things over and over won't improve your score. I was able to get a 140 point improvement because I brought about a few changes such as understanding the concepts, observing the wrong answers as much as observing the right answers etc.
Be calm and remember not doing well on the GMAT is not end of the world - take a list of 100 successful people and half of them wouldn't have finished graduation, let alone taking the GMAT :-)
In any case you can and you will do well with right kind of training!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Nice to read your post, unlike the majority of posts from people who get 700 and are so distraught they decline the score. Or the guys getting 730 and planning to retake.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
WayneHam wrote:
Nice to read your post, unlike the majority of posts from people who get 700 and are so distraught they decline the score. Or the guys getting 730 and planning to retake.

Thanks WayneHam.
The very purpose of taking the GMAT was to get into a good business school so that I can take my entrepreneurial dreams forward. I have a few ideas that I wanted to work on since 2 years, I thought i'd take the GMAT and then start working on them. But later realized that I was spending too much time on the GMAT when I should actually focus on the other areas(like implementing the ideas) which comes naturally to me. So I decided If i get a decent score I am not going to waste a single minute on GMAT instead will try to strengthen my application in other ways.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I kind of feel the same way the only difference is that I haven't taken the GMAT yet. I just dont want to feel that feeling of defeat after taking the exam and actually my aim is to score above 500. I actually enjoyed reading your debrief since I felt more identified with you than with the people that write how to get a 700 score on the exam. Thanks for the message again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JanioAlexander wrote:
I kind of feel the same way the only difference is that I haven't taken the GMAT yet. I just dont want to feel that feeling of defeat after taking the exam and actually my aim is to score above 500. I actually enjoyed reading your debrief since I felt more identified with you than with the people that write how to get a 700 score on the exam. Thanks for the message again.

Hey JanioAlexander

I know how you are feeling!
And you can score at any level, but for now lets just forget about the score. The first step is to be calm and I would want you to work toward being calm. You can do this in many ways, I used to meditate(with deep breathing). If you already have your way then please continue doing that if not then this is my suggestion -
Just take a stopwatch set the timer to 5 minutes, sit down on the floor(not on a chair) with your back as straigh as possible , close your eyes and keep asking yourself to calm down. Practice this every day and increase the time as you feel more comfortable with the process. I guarantee you that you will be a lot calmer and this will help you in understanding the material better.

Remember, GMAT is not the END OF the WORLD. But since you've taken it up and want to do well, you can do well. Believe in yourself!
If you want any further specific information email me msprabhakara[at]gmail[dot]com
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts