Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ?? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 11:18
hi all,

gave 2nd attempt on 18/oct/2012: 620( quant :49, verbal :25)

Myself from Merchant navy, indian ,age 25 work ex- 5 years.

i studied for just 7 days using just OG-12 and gave my 1st attempt in november 2011 and scored just 510.

shattered a lot...

went on sail..

came back on May 2012,joined a coaching studied hard for past 4 months,day and night....
improved much in quants.......
i really studied hard this time a lot

studied:
CR(lsat bible) + og-10/11/12
sc(manhattan/ron explanation) +og-10/11/12
rc(practised from lsat)+verbal edition-2 + og -10/11/12

mock scores:
Kaplan online :650
GMAT prep 1 :750 (many repeats)
Gmat prep 2 :750 (many repeats)

please suggest what should i do ? my target is 700,but i doubt whether i will be able to achieve it ever ... :(

thinking of ISB in india,what are my chances ?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2164

Kudos [?]: 7665 [0], given: 3627

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ?? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 21:00
Expert's post
I think you are out of ISB league - sorry but not with 620.

As to your score and strategy - you got Q49 - that's very good and you should be proud. V25 is terrible on the other hand.
I can see one issue - you have been using the LSAT materials - why?
That's harder than the GMAT and is similar to learning to ski with super long skis. You get good at it but then you are given short ones (easy questions) to start with and you fail and never really get to the high level. You get the idea?

My suggestion would be to get your basics and foundamentals right. Get something along the lines of the MGMAT Verbal Foundations and use that to beef up your Verbal. Also get either the MGMAT verbal books or the Veritas New books (published a few weeks ago) or the Kaplan verbal workbook (not as thorough though).

Don't worry about the questions. Instead - focus on reading, grammar, and logic!

P.S. Get the GMAT Club Grammar book - it is free!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ?? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 06:45
bb wrote:
I think you are out of ISB league - sorry but not with 620.

As to your score and strategy - you got Q49 - that's very good and you should be proud. V25 is terrible on the other hand.
I can see one issue - you have been using the LSAT materials - why?
That's harder than the GMAT and is similar to learning to ski with super long skis. You get good at it but then you are given short ones (easy questions) to start with and you fail and never really get to the high level. You get the idea?

My suggestion would be to get your basics and foundamentals right. Get something along the lines of the MGMAT Verbal Foundations and use that to beef up your Verbal. Also get either the MGMAT verbal books or the Veritas New books (published a few weeks ago) or the Kaplan verbal workbook (not as thorough though).

Don't worry about the questions. Instead - focus on reading, grammar, and logic!

P.S. Get the GMAT Club Grammar book - it is free!

i agree with you ...that my chances are out for ISB...
but you know i studied really very hard this time for 700+, and i was even scoring the same in mocks..

the same thing happened before when i got 510,i was getting 700+ in mocks,

i do not understand whats wrong with me,i come from sail ,just study without anything...hard.

and i am not able to score...this was my 2nd attempt...

my CGPA : 4.0(nautical science), work ex- 4years...
10/12th :87/80%

what should i do ?? will i ever able to get admission and a good score....

everything seems so distant ...i really worked very hard this past 4-5 months....

and i am not able to understand what should i do ??

some people get score in 1st attempt of 700+, why am i the most unfortunate one?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2164

Kudos [?]: 7665 [0], given: 3627

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ?? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 12:35
Expert's post
One thing is, you are not dumb because you have 500 or 600. Don't take this as a beating or some weakness.

You need to take a diagnostic test that can replicate your 600-experience. (no repeats - clean result)
If you take a diagnostic and you score 700+ without repeats, then I would go ahead and schedule your test ASAP.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ?? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 00:13
bb wrote:
One thing is, you are not dumb because you have 500 or 600. Don't take this as a beating or some weakness.

You need to take a diagnostic test that can replicate your 600-experience. (no repeats - clean result)
If you take a diagnostic and you score 700+ without repeats, then I would go ahead and schedule your test ASAP.

BUT i have come across various blogs and information which state that the number of attempts you take gives a very wrong impression on your profile to college..

i am very worried....what will happen now ??

i have no mock papers left to give,i have given them all......all available on net ,cds,gmat prep,kaplan,knewton,manhattan,and various others..

if i give the papers again ,there could be chance that i do not score again...

and i really think my Verbal paper was going fine and good while i was giving the paper,but i do not understand whty this happened with me...

i think i was performing well in verbal,but the thing turned out to be just opposite..

what should i do??
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ?? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 02:15
700mirage wrote:
bb wrote:

BUT i have come across various blogs and information which state that the number of attempts you take gives a very wrong impression on your profile to college..

i have no mock papers left to give,i have given them all......all available on net ,cds,gmat prep,kaplan,knewton,manhattan,and various others..

and i really think my Verbal paper was going fine and good while i was giving the paper,but i do not understand whty this happened with me...

i think i was performing well in verbal,but the thing turned out to be just opposite..

what should i do??

Schools in general dont care how many times you take GMAT and they look at the highest score (It makes sense for them, since they want to show high average scores). I visited an NYU Stern presentation this week and the lady explicitly said "take the test as many times as you want, we only look at the highest score". If you think you can get higher a score, go for it. Try to read A LOT in English to boost your verbal score.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ?? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 09:21
700mirage wrote:
hi all,

i studied for just 7 days using just OG-12 and gave my 1st attempt in november 2011 and scored just 510.

shattered a lot...

went on sail..

came back on May 2012,joined a coaching studied hard for past 4 months,day and night....

studied:

mock scores:

please suggest what should i do ? my target is 700,but i doubt whether i will be able to achieve it ever ... :(

It took me a couple of years on and off to reach 710 from 550.
during my final attempt , I stopped taking tests.....for 3 to 4 months I did not take a single test. solved only few questions.
I did subject oriented study , not exam oriented study.

Created strategy for each question type only after I mastered the theory portion for each section / subsection.

tips and tricks can give you 3-4 point rise , not more than that.
i think you need to go back to the lab....

It will take a long time. Be prepared. But crossing the 700 barrier is a big achievement.
Best of luck. Dont lose hope

Lahoosaher

Intern
Intern

Re: from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ?? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 23:29
lahoosaher wrote:
700mirage wrote:
hi all,

shattered a lot...

went on sail..

studied:

mock scores:

It took me a couple of years on and off to reach 710 from 550.
during my final attempt , I stopped taking tests.....for 3 to 4 months I did not take a single test. solved only few questions.
I did subject oriented study , not exam oriented study.

Created strategy for each question type only after I mastered the theory portion for each section / subsection.

tips and tricks can give you 3-4 point rise , not more than that.
i think you need to go back to the lab....

It will take a long time. Be prepared. But crossing the 700 barrier is a big achievement.
Best of luck. Dont lose hope

hi lahoosaher,

i know you are speaking the correct thing....
but its so discouraging...and i really do not understand what else should i read new or more.....
because i have read and completed most of the material and things available on net and cds....specially the GMAT specific standard material...

i am really worried how will i be able to cope up with gmat....i am thinking of applying to few colleges with this score....

what do you suggest ?
i am planning for HKUST,ISB ?

do u think will i be considered....?
i have 4 years work ex and CGPS 4.0/4.0

and served NGO for 2 years..

please suggest
Intern
Intern

Re: from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ?? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 23:32
craky wrote:
700mirage wrote:
bb wrote:

what should i do??

Schools in general dont care how many times you take GMAT and they look at the highest score (It makes sense for them, since they want to show high average scores). I visited an NYU Stern presentation this week and the lady explicitly said "take the test as many times as you want, we only look at the highest score". If you think you can get higher a score, go for it. Try to read A LOT in English to boost your verbal score.

hi craky,

i appreciate your message.

But do you think i should apply with this score ? i have CGPA 4.0 and work ex- 4 years.

and i am thinking for applying to schools like HKUST , ISB with this score...

what do you suggest ?

when should i retake gmat and how should i improve my verbal score

thanks in advance
Re: from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ??   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2012, 23:32