Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 570 in Gmat 1 to 710 in Gmat 2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 23

From 570 in Gmat 1 to 710 in Gmat 2 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everybody,

Well initially I was very unsure about writing a debrief, but then again you are unsure about most things in life. :) So I just decided to pen my experience down and present you all with a boring note of my tryst with Gmat.

First of all, I want to confess that I am a great admirer of this forum and the people on this are awesome. Though I do not put up my posts, I do look at it from time to time(a reason I didn't get many kudos which could have unlocked more mind blowing free questions :)).

So it all started when I got back from France(a great place to be by the way 8-) ) when I was in 2nd year of my IT job. I thought although technology was a cool stuff to be doing, I really want to do something which involves moving around, talking to people, use your neurotransmitters to the fullest :D and something that keeps your adrenalin running. I had heard of doing an MBA, but never till that point it occurred seriously to me as something I want to do.

And then when I eventually made my mind to do it, some divine force decided to prevent me doing it. Yeah I knew I was entering 3rd year of my job but I didn't know the workload would increase exponentially. I tried to be candid with my manager and asked him that I want to stick on a fix schedule and not exceed my working hours. But as things turned out I ended up working on weekends too :oops: . So this became my life then. Working weekdays for my job and on attend a coaching class on weekend (only if I was spared from working on weekend). Just to mention here I was preparing for CAT- an Indian MBA entrance examination. The days passed by and the thought kept recurring that all I am doing is just working and then studying. No social life, no sports. Life cannot be harder than this(considering you were into sports all the time in your college "heydays"). While I was preparing for CAT, I decided to give a shot at GMAT as well. As it turned out, I bombed at both of them.

Soul-searching time. What did I do wrong? Is there a way I could have done better? And all those questions that make you feel miserable. Of all the things I realized, I found that I just was not having enough time with my job. True, some people manage it but I used to work practically whole day. Software development is just not a walk in the park(at this moment my IT peers would be nodding their heads :lol: ). So I was desperately looking for answers. Can I get a job which is less demanding and allows me some time at least to chase my dream?

I got none. I kept on working for my concern, contributing to their revenue and perhaps adding to economy of India but adding nothing to my aspirations.
So a time came when eventually in September 2013 I said I have had enough of it and started giving more time to my preparations. I was so over-confident that I thought I would do it in 2 months time. But after 2 months my score didn't reflect enough progress. Then on again questions of self-realization kept popping up. Time went by and my mock test results didn't improve. I targeted 700 but I never got beyond 660 and kept procrastinating the Gmat exam.

Finally I decided to go on with whatever improvement and scheduled my test on Feb 19. I knew I was unprepared. The only thing I was confident about is that the mistakes that got my score down were silly ones which usually happens under constraint of time. So on the test day when I was done with my test I was very happy to see a 710 score. The breakdown is as under:

Q49,V38,, IR 3

Well disappointed with my IR score considering I never scored below 6 in the mocks but more than happy for the core part. I got some really hard to decipher questions in the time frame provided. Before this I used to love all the graphs and reasoning questions but this has got me turned off a little(this reminds me of one of my primary teachers saying that you don't necessarily love a subject just because you score well in that) So now getting ready with the applications as most of schools have entered their penultimate stage.

Not sure of my chances though as I belong to that class that business schools consider elite (IT, male, Indian). Still planning to go ahead and just change their perception :D.(kiddin)

Regarding preparations for other aspirations, well quite honestly I am not sure if I would be able to give some inputs as I am a highly disorganized person.All I can say is just be fanatic about your approach - fanaticism at least helps to keep out all doubts which very often gets you into trouble("the Zahir, Paul Coelho"). As for the study material, I think MGMAT is the best. I say this not because I am their staunch follower but because they are the only one which I personally feel have maintained balance between the Quant and verbal section. The difficulty levels of both are equal and you will not end up with a higher score in one than the other.

All right that is all I had to say. My sleep cycle is still in accord with my pre-exam cycle. Now that I am done I surely want to play more sports now. Hope that my friends are free too in this increasingly time bound world.

GMAT1 570
GMAT2 710

Help with Kudos if I add to your knowledge realm.

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: From 570 in Gmat 1 to 710 in Gmat 2 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 19:26
my first Manhattan CAT is 580 . Q43 V27 . I am still reading verbal section of official guide . I have completed Quantative section . I have took only 90 min to finish the whole verbal and Quantative part . can you suggest what should I do now ?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: From 570 in Gmat 1 to 710 in Gmat 2 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 21:35
shiblee wrote:
my first Manhattan CAT is 580 . Q43 V27 . I am still reading verbal section of official guide . I have completed Quantative section . I have took only 90 min to finish the whole verbal and Quantative part . can you suggest what should I do now ?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Hi Shiblee,

Your first Gmat score is a good indicator as to where you stand. Now try to analyse your mistakes(mgmat cat has a very useful tool to analyse your mistakes,i.e generate your report by topic both in verbal and quant). Identify your weak points.You will get an idea where you need to put your effort.
Even my mgmat cat 1 score was 590. So nothing to be worried about right now.

Just don't take further tests as of now as you will not be leveraging the mock tests to the fullest unless you have improved.

When you say you have completed whole verbal and Quant of OG in 90 mins, I am not sure how you did that. There are lots of question in there. Did you mean you just skimmed over it or completed each and every question?

My suggestion to you would be just keep the OG aside for sometime. Your score clearly suggests that you need to work on some of the subtleties of the GMAT.Try to take it one at a time. For example if in your test Critical Reasoning was your weak area, try to open a strategy guidebook and see how it is meant to be approached. Likewise do it for every category and sub-category.

Just as an experience it takes a lot of effort to move your scaled verbal score to above 35. For the quant section it is not so difficult to reach 46 but more effort to reach 49 or 50.

The bottom line is just start with the concepts involved and then gradually analyse your mistakes in further tests. Go through this link as well:

gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html#p605856

Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: From 570 in Gmat 1 to 710 in Gmat 2 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 05:57
Congrats on ur Good score.

How did u improve your verbal score from 23 to 38...Any specific strategy? and Quant also, Iam at Q45-46 level, how to achieve 49-50?

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: From 570 in Gmat 1 to 710 in Gmat 2 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2014, 03:32
Klenex wrote:
Congrats on ur Good score.

How did u improve your verbal score from 23 to 38...Any specific strategy? and Quant also, Iam at Q45-46 level, how to achieve 49-50?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Klenex,

My apologies for late reply. Was into too many things of late.

As I have already said that I a little disorganised (bad as it may sound) in my approach. I didn't have a strategy at the outset. But my focus was mainly on English. I think MGMAT's books are the study materials that come close to actual test especially in English. The key is to catch the concepts and practice hard till the moment you have decent control over it.

For the quant part too you can practice a lot of MGMAT questions. And the important thing of all is to track your progress. Just try to take notes of your mistakes especially that you commit regularly.

Thanks,
Arunoday

Re: From 570 in Gmat 1 to 710 in Gmat 2   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2014, 03:32