Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 570 to 640

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 181

From 570 to 640 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 07:27
Hi everybody . I took on Feb the 13th and scored a 540 ( 36 Q 28 V ). Took 2 weeks almost free and started working since the beginning of March for a retake on April the 3rd to catch my target school deadline aiming at a 640 (they demand a minimum score of 600 but I want to secure myself) . After covering almost 50% of the 3 official guides and taking 2 Manhattan CATs (560- Q36 31V , 600 Q 37 V35) I retook one of the GMAT Preps yesterday (already took both while preparing for my first attempt , the scores were 450 and 510 ... and totally forgot the questions .. i.e it was a true testing experience) .The one I retook yesterday was the 450 test and I scored 570 on the retake ( V27 with 20 incorrect answers , Q 42 with 15 incorrect answers .. took the test under some noise and slept interruptedly last night ) , although I had been almost sure the verbal would be far better than the quant since I guessed fewer questions !!!!!

Any specific advice ? Thanks a million in advance

P.S : during my first attempt I studied wrong , I focused on memorising and learning concepts and practicing many questions as possible , covered almost all videos of Thursdays with Ron , and took only 4 CATs including the 2 GMAT Preps and inclining to quant on the cost of verbal . Now I am giving equal attention to both , focusing on both quality and quantity and analyzing even the correct answers .I also covered almost all DS and PS problems in 3 OGs on my weaknesses (WP - Geometry - number properties ) feeling slight but significant improvement . I also practice RC more . For CR , still having problems but covered almost 50% of the OGs problems . SC is improving but still accuracy ranging between 55-65% . I feel my timing is getting better as well but still the scores are behind as previously mentioned :(

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 990 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: From 570 to 640 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TheNona wrote:
Hi everybody . I took on Feb the 13th and scored a 540 ( 36 Q 28 V ). Took 2 weeks almost free and started working since the beginning of March for a retake on April the 3rd to catch my target school deadline aiming at a 640 (they demand a minimum score of 600 but I want to secure myself) . After covering almost 50% of the 3 official guides and taking 2 Manhattan CATs (560- Q36 31V , 600 Q 37 V35) I retook one of the GMAT Preps yesterday (already took both while preparing for my first attempt , the scores were 450 and 510 ... and totally forgot the questions .. i.e it was a true testing experience) .The one I retook yesterday was the 450 test and I scored 570 on the retake ( V27 with 20 incorrect answers , Q 42 with 15 incorrect answers .. took the test under some noise and slept interruptedly last night ) , although I had been almost sure the verbal would be far better than the quant since I guessed fewer questions !!!!!

P.S : during my first attempt I studied wrong , I focused on memorising and learning concepts and practicing many questions as possible , covered almost all videos of Thursdays with Ron , and took only 4 CATs including the 2 GMAT Preps and inclining to quant on the cost of verbal . Now I am giving equal attention to both , focusing on both quality and quantity and analyzing even the correct answers .I also covered almost all DS and PS problems in 3 OGs on my weaknesses (WP - Geometry - number properties ) feeling slight but significant improvement . I also practice RC more . For CR , still having problems but covered almost 50% of the OGs problems . SC is improving but still accuracy ranging between 55-65% . I feel my timing is getting better as well but still the scores are behind as previously mentioned :(

Hi TheNona,

Good to see an improvement in your score. It seems that you are at the 600 level as you said that you could have scored a little better in the GMAT Prep CAT. From you previous posts, it looks like you have done the most of the MGMAT CATs. Now you have 10 days in hand, I will suggest that you concentrate on the questions that you got incorrect (specifically the official ones) in your previous tests and focus on the areas that you feel you still need improvement. Moreover, at this point of time, just stick to the official questions. Try to do a couple of verbal questions daily so that you get comfortable with the GMAT style language. You can also keep up your verbal momentum by reading 1 - 2 articles online from NYT or Economist. Note that on GMAT comprehension is more important than speed. If you have done 50% of the OG CR questions then complete the rest as soon as possible, you can not afford to miss any OG questions. If you have any other specific question then let me know. All the best..!!!

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [1] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: From 570 to 640 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
Responding to a PM:

It is really difficult to suggest anything from the information you have provided above.

I really like the fact that you know where you went wrong and where you can improve. You are working on the right aspects by looking at the explanations and using quality material. You are hopefully working on an error log as well.

Statistically speaking, your verbal needs more improvement. But, there is plenty of scope to improve in both the sections. Go through these forums if you haven't already.
Quant improvement
Verbal improvement

One suggestion: Your exam date is pretty close. If you haven't started with some OG material, do that first. Also, take CATs regularly with AWA & IR and review them thoroughly.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 181

Re: From 570 to 640 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 16:17
I took today a test in the older version of GMAT Prep scoring 650 (43 Q 35 V) and only a very few repeated questions . Verbal went fine but I felt I mixed up quant despite I scored a 43 . I am still struggling with DS after massive practice , and the same applies to IR by the way. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [1] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: From 570 to 640 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
TheNona wrote:
I took today a test in the older version of GMAT Prep scoring 650 (43 Q 35 V) and only a very few repeated questions . Verbal went fine but I felt I mixed up quant despite I scored a 43 . I am still struggling with DS after massive practice , and the same applies to IR by the way. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

nice improvement.

Personal opinion:
Keep IR on the back seat for some time. Try to see what is wrong with DS. It's a tough question type.

See whether you have problems in particular area/concept or whether you are making some common mistake. Document your incorrect answers, review them & try to find the common thread. Do you follow a decision tree/ a fixed process for DS? If not, see if doing that helps.

Come back to IR when you have solved your DS problems i.e. when you are comfortable with most of the questions you attempt.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5362 [1] , given: 165

Re: From 570 to 640 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TheNona wrote:

Are you looking at starting school this year? If yes, you don't have much time so you should probably take the test on April 3rd. You have a week so this is what I would encourage you to do:

1. Review all your concepts. You will be surprised how easily we forget when we don't review something regularly.

2. Try to make a difference in one major topic in this week - practice just wouldn't do it. The various question types (CR/SC/RC/DS/PS) are like different types of games. You need to understand the rules to gain from practice. Other than PS, all the questions types are tricky. OG doesn't give you the rules, it only gives you some samples. If you pick up any Veritas book today, I can say with certainty that you will experience some 'clicks' - i.e. oh! that is what I have to do in such questions. I have done such questions before but I did not have a clear idea.. now I know what I have to do and why I have to do it. (I would expect you to experience something similar from material of other test prep companies too.) If you can beg/borrow some relevant book and go through just the theory if you don't have enough time, that itself should make quite a difference.

3. Relax your mind. Do not study on the last day except some quick review perhaps. Sleep well, eat well, keep cool. Ensure that when you enter that test center, you have the energy to give it your best shot.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: From 570 to 640   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2013, 20:26