Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 570 to 730 for non-natives

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 29

Reviews Badge
From 570 to 730 for non-natives [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
I got from the 570 (Q50,V23) to 730 (Q50,V39). It was a difficult way for me and my advice is not for people who are seeking the way to get this progress for two weeks. It is for non-native who suffer with Verbal part but ready to work to beat it.

1.Start from English test (TOEFL or IELTS). I did a lot of test with no value in my first attempt. The reason was simple – my English was just inadequate for GMAT. You are expected to know English quite good for GMAT. In any case, most of schools demand TOEFL or IELTS so start from it. I would recommend to get at least 7.0 on IELTS before start GMAT.

2.During this preparation put more efforts on Reading. You have to be very fluent reader to get good on GMAT. Reading is a crucial skill not only for RC but also for CR, SC and IR. You must use you time to think not to read. Read more books, magazines, web pages and so on. It will help a lot.

3.Start with Manhattan SC and CR strategies guides books. In my personal opinion, it is very useful in the first stage as it gives you a brief introduction in GMAT and basic principles. It will not take a lot of time but will develop a good base for next progress. Develop your skills with Magoosh. I like it as it provides a lot detailed lectures and quite good tasks. It is not expensive but very useful. I would not recommend to take OG GMAT at that point. (You will need it later). At the end you shoul be able to get 32-34 in a mock tests.

4.Now time for E_GMAT course. I am really keen on this course. I think it is the best course for 700+ questions and it could rocket you up from 34 to 40+ score. E-GMAT offers a very systematic way to study. It gives a topic and after that a few tasks. It really helps. Also the 3-step process will help you to avoid rush and move throw the questions smoothly. The final test was really challenging but after E-GMAT my score grew from 34 to 41 in Manhattan’s tests.

5.Practice your skill with Grockit,GMATclub and GMAT Mock tests. Use your tablet/smartphone to do tests when you had a few empty minutes. Even if you have time to make only one task – do it.

6.Have good sleep and relax the day before the test.

Good luck!!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: From 570 to 730 for non-natives [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 09:47
Great score, my congratulations!
Can You post your scores on mock tests, please.
Was a grockit so helpful for you to improve verbal? I have heard that all their questions are paraphrazed copies of OG's questions.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 29

Reviews Badge
Re: From 570 to 730 for non-natives [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 11:35
This post received
KUDOS
ftwsday wrote:
Great score, my congratulations!
Can You post your scores on mock tests, please.
Was a grockit so helpful for you to improve verbal? I have heard that all their questions are paraphrazed copies of OG's questions.

Before EGMAT I had between 32-35. After EGMAT I had above 40. In the week before the test I had 38-41 in GMAT Mock tests. The last one was 41. I found that I had moved quicker in the first part but had some troubles with time in the end as task getting harder. In the exam, I tried to go faster in the first part but did not met real problems at the end. As result I got lower then in the last mock and about 7 minutes left (huge amount of time!).

As for the Grockit, it is true that some task are close to OG's but as for me it was "+". I am not a genius of verbal and I followed the rule: "Repetition is mother of learning". It helped me to get "feeling" the test. You just began understand what test is checking. Besides this, it has a lot of different tasks that you can do using your smartphone almost everywhere when you have a minute.

Hopes it helps.
Re: From 570 to 730 for non-natives   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2014, 11:35