Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 600 to 720!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

From 600 to 720!!! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2006, 09:34
If you find yourself constantly scoring 600 on Kaplan yet acing GMATPrep and OG and can't score over 600 on real GMAT, then this thread is for you!!! The problem is not that you don't have ability... the problem, in my view, is that you lack strategy!!

My score went from 600 to 720 (M: 49; V: 38) in 3 months. According to GMAC, less than 5% of retake is able to improve the score by more than 120. Below are the things that I have done to prepare.

1. Setup study schedule for 250 hours! My schedule was 2 hours a day on Tue-Fri and 6 hours a day on Sat and Sun.

2. Sign up Kaplan online course with 8 Cat! It's worth it!

more on Kaplan... some of their math questions (especially their questions on probability) are way too hard, but if you can master those, nothing the real GMAT throw at you can throw you off. Also, the online material offers a lot of good strategy for each question type. Master those!

Their overall verbal section is even harder. A lot of their critical reasoning does not even make any sense and the passages that they selected have way too many difficult vocabury that you won't see in the real test. However, one useful way to use their verbal sections is reading their answer explanations. In doing so, you will find many useful tips that can help you on your verbal strategy.

3. Study your mistakes! In my preparation before I took my first exam, I did not study any of my mistakes. If you are able to compile a book of all the problems that you have made mistake on, you will find many helpful tips and recognize your weakness!

4. I also signed up for Manhattan GMAT course! VERY VERY helpful! One of the best in the industry. The strategy they teach can really help you out!

5. Monitor your confidence. Visit this site often for inspiration and have a coach who helps you think positive! Take GMATPrep and Kaplan Cat on weekends to see how you are doing... and right before you take your test, don't take any CAT, but do try tons of math and verbal questions from OG (repeat if you have to) to boost your confidence even further!

6. On test day and days leading up to it, keep repeating this phrase in your head: "Be Sharp! Be Focus! Be Relaxed!"

You have to learn on your own on how to approach a lot of specific question type... that's where your study comes in. Take lots of notes!

How do you know if you are ready to take the exam?
-If you can complete OG (it doesn't matter if you repeat) the entire book with 90% accuracy in all sections and can do so spending, on average, 1.5 minutes on PS, 1 minute on DS, 1 minute on SC, 1.2 minute on RC, and 1.8 minute on CR...
-if you can score over 700 consistently on Kaplan GMAT and GMATPrep (even after retakes)...

The real GMAT is hard. It doesn't test IQ, but it tests your ability to think. There will be problems that you have never seen before, but as long as you have good strategy for every question type, then you should be fine! Hard work does pay off! Good luck to you all!

And thank you, GMAT Club!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2006, 19:36
Congratulations...... :musband
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2006, 15:38
We really appreciate your advice.
Congratulations and enjoy the club 700 membership. :wave
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2006, 19:35
Thanks and i will try to answer questions for as many people as possible!
feel free to private message me... a couple of you have already done so!
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2006, 20:25
nice improvement!!! I hope to be another example of 100+ points improvement...

what was the breakdown of your 600 score? and did you improve quant solely from Kaplan's material?

enjoy life after GMAT!!!

:band
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2006, 21:15
I honestly couldn't remember my verbal score (cuz i was so frustrated!) .. but my old math score was 44.

At first, I studied OG a lot... but later i found the advance quizzes on Kaplan online course and Kaplan GMAT quiz to be quite helpful in practing difficult questions on all question type!

then of course, there is GMAT challenges. I didn't use them, but from what I heard from other members on this site, I think they are pretty good in preparing you for Quant.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1551 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 06:38
Back from vacation, time to hand out the awards...

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

congrats! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 16:39
rhyme wrote:
Back from vacation, time to hand out the awards...

Congrats to you! I am hoping to jump a 100 points as I am rewriting after 1 month of prep. MY verbal scores were really really low! ... I realized that I wasn't applying any methodology to verbal but rather just guessing. I guess KAPLAN didnt help much with that rather than give me just questions!

I am using Princeton Review and so far its very helpful!

Congrats again!

Rahul
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 04:05
Don't totally discount kaplan's verbal. SC is still worthwhile, and their answer explaination to CR and RC questions are good reads and full of tips!
Good luck!
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 05:35
Great improvement! Way to go!!

Congrats and Good luck for your apps.

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 06:04
Hearty Congratulations. Indeed a big improvement.

You are indeed an inspiration for me. I have also scored 600 the first time I appeared and aspire to score above 700.

I wish you the best for your apps.

Regards

Subhen

[#permalink] 10 Aug 2006, 06:04