Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V22
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.39
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 06:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi ,

Finally i gave the GMAT today and got a score of 650 ( Q49 V 28) .
I was aiming for a 700+ score and when i saw the score of 650 i was a little unhappy as the score is under par compared to my scores in the mock tests . My timing went really haywire in Verbal and had to rush for the last 10 questions with about 10 minutes remaining .

I was working with an IT company for nearly 3 years after which i quit my job in October 2012 .I started my MBA prepration in February and gave the following mock tests :

My scores in mock tests were :
Manhattan Cat 1 : 690 Q45 V38 3/31/2013
Gmat Prep 1 : 680 Q50 V31 4/4/2013
Manhattan Cat 2 : 670 Q47 V34 4/6/2013
Manhattan Cat 3 : 660 Q45 V35 4/9/2013
Manhattan Cat 4 : 690 Q45 V38 4/12/2013
Gmat Prep 2 : 690 Q50 V34 4/14/2013
Veritas Prep free : 710 Q49 V38 4/16/2013
Manhattan Cat 5 : 630 Q45 V32 4/23/2013
Manhattan Cat 6 : 700 Q50 V35 4/24/2013

I am not able to decide whether to give a 3rd shot again in July or just continue with the application with my current score because if i give Gmat again it would be my 3rd attempt .

My target schools are :
Australian Graduate School of Management ( AGSM , Australia )
University of Manchester - Manchester Business School
University of Melbourne - Melbourne Business School
University of Warwick - Warwick Business School
Queen's University - School of Business - Queen's MBA

Profile :

Indian IT , Male 26 with close of 3years of experience , 2 years and 8 months to be precise .
Worked with Tata Consultancy Services , a major IT consultancy company from Jan 2010 to June 2011 .
Worked with Sunlife Assurance Company of Canada ( a captive unit in India ) from July 2011 to October 2012 .
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 06:59
What are your weak points for Verbal?

LSAT RC Bible provides a good methodology for attacking RC. It goes well with powerscore's CR Bible. I also like them for SC. Magoosh provides explanations to every SC problem for OG13 on YouTube. I haven't tried it, but it's worth checking out. I've heard small differenced between the OG questions and other prep companies questions screws people up on verbal. You may want to stick with just OG questions.

Is time a major issue for you for the verbal section? You may want to consider skipping the last RC section. There are several reasons for this:

1 If you're slow on this section then it will save you about 15 minutes
2 If you did well on the first two RC passages the questions will be more difficult, and therefore getting some of those wrong won't hurt your score that much.
3 Since about 25% of the questions are experimental one of the five questions will probably be experimental. If you guess on all of them with the same letter you will probably get one of them right. This means You're looking at getting three hard questions wrong and saving 15 minutes. That's not a bad idea.
4 If your not able to usually finish going at a comfortable speed, then you will have to guess on some questions anyways, or increase the speed you're going at which will probably cause you to get more problems wrong.

I would think you could score higher based on you Practice tests. Let us know what your thoughts are.
Intern
Intern

Re: From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 11:08
Thanks for the advise . I will try to follow the LSAT and the Powerscore material and see how it works for me .
Timing is not generally the issue because the Manhattan mocks i gave i usually finished them on time .
It was just that today was a bad day for me with respect to timing due to which i was not able to concentrate on some easy CR questions and the marked the answers in a hurry .
MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 12:11
I think you might be able to get into the British schools with the current GMAT score.

Might be worth checking before more study and another £250 spent on the resit.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 09:29
sarahrs wrote:
I think you might be able to get into the British schools with the current GMAT score.

Might be worth checking before more study and another £250 spent on the resit.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Yeah i am planning to apply in Warwick but i think its a tough call .
Current Student
GPA: 3.52
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 09:22
Regarding british schools, I would definitely check with the them before retaking. I applied to Cranfield and Cass before taking GMAT and both of them offered me a position for the 2014 intake conditional to my GMAT score and the requirement was only +600.
In the case of Warwick, I had an amazing feedback from my app and interview but the said they don't make conditional offers and that the would make an offer with a balanced GMAT (from what I discussed with the app director, a balanced 630-650 was enough.)
I have a little more experience than you as I am 30 years old and have been around for 10 years now. Anyhow, I would check with the schools. Remember that UK is not the US.

Big tip: DON'T BE EMBARRASED TO ASK THE APP DEPARTMENT SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS! Making a reasonable question like if your GMAT score is good enough, won't affect your app and it would even show interest in the School. Rebember its their job to "sell you" the MBA as well.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Intern
Intern

Re: From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 09:45
mzg wrote:
Regarding british schools, I would definitely check with the them before retaking. I applied to Cranfield and Cass before taking GMAT and both of them offered me a position for the 2014 intake conditional to my GMAT score and the requirement was only +600.
In the case of Warwick, I had an amazing feedback from my app and interview but the said they don't make conditional offers and that the would make an offer with a balanced GMAT (from what I discussed with the app director, a balanced 630-650 was enough.)
I have a little more experience than you as I am 30 years old and have been around for 10 years now. Anyhow, I would check with the schools. Remember that UK is not the US.

Big tip: DON'T BE EMBARRASED TO ASK THE APP DEPARTMENT SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS! Making a reasonable question like if your GMAT score is good enough, won't affect your app and it would even show interest in the School. Rebember its their job to "sell you" the MBA as well.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Thanks MZM,
I kind of gave up on European schools and started taking Canadian universities into consideration.
I am applying to Queen's and Sauder in Canada .
The deadline for Warwick is 31st July for the September intake and i guess its already too late to apply now for an international student.
Current Student
GPA: 3.52
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 09:52
Well, it is in fact too late for an International Student.
Being a international student myself (South America), I know how hard is to attend to an MBA programme overseas. That's why it is so important to apply to a school that you really like and not to settle. You are young, can't you apply for 2014 intake to where you really what to attend? You only do one MBA in your life...
Intern
Intern

Re: From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 09:57
mzg wrote:
Well, it is in fact too late for an International Student.
Being a international student myself (South America), I know how hard is to attend to an MBA programme overseas. That's why it is so important to apply to a school that you really like and not to settle. You are young, can't you apply for 2014 intake to where you really what to attend? You only do one MBA in your life...

What you say is absolutely right . Actually i am not much concerned with the geography but i am more concerned with the organization i eventually land up with, and moreover I had quit my job last year in October so the more i delay the harder it will be for me to cover the gap .
So that's the reason i plan to enroll myself as soon as possible .
Where are you applying. I will PM you and we can have a discussion .
Re: From 600 to 650 and not satisfied , not sure what to do now   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2013, 09:57