Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 07:56

STARTING SHORTLY:

Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 610 to 720

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 356
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 68 [2] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 09:14
2
This post received
KUDOS
All right... 8-)

I just came back from test center and I feel satisfied. Of course, this is not the end of the road since I plan to retake just in case I prove capable of scoring 750. Not that I think that there is great difference between 720 and 750, but I just like that number.

I owe you debrief, tonight I will finaly sit and write about something I like instead of reading abouth vapouring molecules or Black Death in 14th century England aghhh!
_________________

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108


1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Posts: 215
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 10:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
congrats

:woohoo
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 356
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 68 [3] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 15:20
3
This post received
KUDOS
Score: 720 (Q48 V41)

Introduction:

Maybe subject should state: "from 580 to 720" since my first attempt was in October 2005. when I scored 580 (Q36 V33). After that I totaly forgot about GMAT untill I started new round of "preparation" in August 2007. for the exam scheduled in October 2007.

At that time I was not active user of any forum. The only book I had was Kaplan premier from 2001. and, couple of weeks before exam friend of mine brought me Kaplan800. I thought that should be enough for 700 - 750 score. Fluent in english, have some black spots in math, but, hey I have Kaplan800 - why should I worry. After some 4-5 weeks of preparation I took exam again and bang: 610 (Q42 V31). WHAAAATT? Lower verbal than that in my first attempt. Not should even mention that I was really mad and then I decided to retake and to start some serious learning.

Preparation

First of all, joined Gmatclub and Beatthegmat forums. One of the first things I have noticed on these forums was that words "Kaplan" and "decrease in verbal score" seem to be inseparable. Lurking throughout these forums I gathered the list of literature that should be used and I sticked to that to the last day of my study:

1) OG11 with Q and V reviews. No argue about that, no one can master GMAT without these books.
2) Manhattan GMAT. I used all five quant quides and sentence correction book. As I said, math used to be my weak area, but I managed to increase my score substantiately by using these books. Manhattan SC guide has a legendary reputation and I wouldn't add anything here. Simply, must have. I didn't use their RC and CR guides since I firmly bleive that only thing that should be used for these areas is OG.
3) Various notes and sheets developed by members of this and other forums (Spidy's notes, Prachi SC blog, TOEFL books...),
4) For math I used some old encyclopedias as Larousse and some old formula notes from 1984.(!?). You wouldn't beleive how many usefull stuff I found in these funny looking dusty books of my parents. Also, for math I bought electronic book from 4GMAT company from India. I did that on recomendation of some member of this forum and I loved that book.

OK, what is the point of my funny literature list stated above? Use whatever you want and whatever you can find for Math and for SC. DONT USE anything but OG for RC and CR. For RC you may us some magazines such as Economist, although I didn't, you may even use LSAT readings, but if you use LSAT (probably from 1000RC source) use it just for pracice of speed reading. This is good source to practise reading a passage under 3 minutes since their readings are extremly boring and tedious. However, don't try to answer their questions because their assumptions are much deeper and they often tend to get out of scope.

Another usefull tool was GMATprep. This is by far the most valuable source that one can get free of charge. That recource is a true gold mine, I can only say "GMAC, thank you". Do these as many as you can. This is tool for practice and, although it can be used as a reliable predictor of your test day performance, what is the point of that you realize 3 days before exam that you are going to score 670? Who cares! 3 days before actual exam I don't want to know nothing about my future performance. What can I alter? In the end of the day, you are taking that awfull exam in order to gauge your abilities. Let the real exam care about measuremnt, GMATprep is a preparation tool and should be used for that purpose. And, yes, this is the only CAT besides Powerprep I found usefull. Although I adore MGMAT's guides I realy hate their CAT's. Manhattan CAT's are awfully tedious and can only lead you to the heart attack. The point of the hard math question is that it should be hard because you have problem to ANSWER it under 2 minutes not because yoy cant READ it under 2 minutes! And that is the problem with MGMAT, their questions are so geeky difficult that something like that will never, and i mean never, appear on the real thing.

Test day

The level of actual questions was very similar to those from GMATprep, even for a click less time consuming and maybe I even could say little less difficult. Maybe... Anyway, they are on par with GP - both math and verbal.

On the test day, I did what I do every morning: ate same damn sandwich I eat every day, drank same coffee I drink every day, read same newspapers... Don't bother too much with "carb-hydrates-cereals-caffeine-taurine-Huey-Dewey-and-Louie" stuff! If you drink taurine drinks such as Red Bull regularly (as I do) drink it in the pause. If you don't - drink water or something else you like. Point is: don't make the rocket science of your test day, it's too late for that then. You need a lot of rocket science work before that.

On the test day, go in the test center with all the confidence of this world and destroy the damn thing! Good luck to you all, people! :P
_________________

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108



Last edited by Pathfinder on 05 Jun 2009, 01:19, edited 4 times in total.
Current Student
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3411
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 15:48
Congrats..awsome score...

focus on b-school apps rather than a 750..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 16:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations!! And thank you for the detailed study tips! I'm taking it in two and a half months, hopefully I can get some rocket science done by then!!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Posts: 329
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2008, 03:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
:cool Hey super score. All the best for your college hunt!!!
_________________

Hope is not a strategy!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 514
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2008, 05:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
Pathfinder, that's an incredible score, and a meteoric rise from your first attempt! Sincerest congratulations - you deserve it!

IMHO, forget studying more to get that 750. 720 plus strong thoughtful essays and well planned applications will get you in wherever you wish to go...
_________________

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2008, 09:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Kudos for score!
Kudos Kudos for the straight forward debrief! Thanks & Congrats
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2008, 09:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
Do you recommend sc1000?
GMAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 356
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2008, 11:53
Huhh, I don't know what to say...

It depends, there are many different oppinions on these series, I just don't like SC1000 but, of course, thats just my feeling. As somebody earlier mentiond on this forum, reliability of these questions depends upon their source. Some questions, probably pooled out from OG and MGMAT are fine, others are poorly written and tend to test some concepts that don't appear on actual exam.

I started SC1000, came around Q200 and gave up. The same thing happend to BrutalSC, they ended up in the recycle bin in a matter of minutes. Becuse of so many typos and some doubtfull "correct choices" I just cannot consider this source reliable. Lack of explanations are another factor, when you sum up all these factors I found that is easier for me to avoid SC1000. Much better source, of course besides OG, is MGMAT forum. Those peole are giving so clear and concise explanations that it is unbelievable.

Thanks for kudos. Wish you best luck.
_________________

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108


1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1378
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 130 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 05:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Pathfinder,
Congratulations on your awesome score.
Did you use CR1000? WHich books do you recommend for CR? I have read the LSAT bible for CR and Iam still not comfortable with CR 1000. I do fine with CRs from OG. Please advise.

Thanks
Goals
GMAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 356
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 14:28
goalsnr wrote:

Did you use CR1000? WHich books do you recommend for CR? I have read the LSAT bible for CR and Iam still not comfortable with CR 1000. I do fine with CRs from OG. Please advise.


No, I have never used CR1000. CR1000 was probably the worst area for me, probably due to extensive use of Kaplan and getting used to their "logic". But once I started with OG my problems were wiped out, hit rate never stoped raising.

Powerscore LSAT CR bible is a good book definitely, but I found silly to spend 2 or 3 months to read that litle encyclopedia of verbal logic. Sounds little funny, doesn't it? Instead, you should just practise with OG while applying some common sense and easily save 10-15 weeks. Especialy, if you feel comfortable with OG CR's as you said, than you shouldn't do anything else, you'll be just fine on the exam day.

Actualy, CR questions on the real exam are just like those in OG, I had just one super-heavy-weight CR question on real GMAT. It was very long, answer choices were very long and similar to one another so it was very confusing and time consuming. But that is just one question and in OG you also have long and hard CR's, so don't worry. Just keep practising from OG and nail CR when the day come.
_________________

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108


VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1378
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 19:19
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
goalsnr wrote:

Did you use CR1000? WHich books do you recommend for CR? I have read the LSAT bible for CR and Iam still not comfortable with CR 1000. I do fine with CRs from OG. Please advise.


No, I have never used CR1000. CR1000 was probably the worst area for me, probably due to extensive use of Kaplan and getting used to their "logic". But once I started with OG my problems were wiped out, hit rate never stoped raising.

Powerscore LSAT CR bible is a good book definitely, but I found silly to spend 2 or 3 months to read that litle encyclopedia of verbal logic. Sounds little funny, doesn't it? Instead, you should just practise with OG while applying some common sense and easily save 10-15 weeks. Especialy, if you feel comfortable with OG CR's as you said, than you shouldn't do anything else, you'll be just fine on the exam day.

Actualy, CR questions on the real exam are just like those in OG, I had just one super-heavy-weight CR question on real GMAT. It was very long, answer choices were very long and similar to one another so it was very confusing and time consuming. But that is just one question and in OG you also have long and hard CR's, so don't worry. Just keep practising from OG and nail CR when the day come.


Thanks Pathfinder.Wish you good luck on your apps.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 14:09
wow! congratulations.. Ill surely use your recomedations, and quit immediately Kaplan for verbal studing.. :?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 105
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 19:36
Hey Congratulations for the great score....
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Posts: 34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 21:30
Very inspired by your determination and great score! It's always nice to see hard work pay-off! :-D
_________________

Life is a Test

Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 15:19
Congratulations! Great score! I hope to get a >700 score in a month. My first attempt: 630.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Affiliations: PRM
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 12
Location: Moscow
WE 1: Risk management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 03:57
Thanks a lot, Pathfinder for sharing your experience!
_________________

Yours faithfully,
Vlad

Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2010, 02:38
2 months from 580 to 720 ! incredible
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: From 610 to 720 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 22:52
THanks man.. I am giving my GMAT tomorrow.. Hope to fare out well..

Pathfinder wrote:
Score: 720 (Q48 V41)

Introduction:

Maybe subject should state: "from 580 to 720" since my first attempt was in October 2005. when I scored 580 (Q36 V33). After that I totaly forgot about GMAT untill I started new round of "preparation" in August 2007. for the exam scheduled in October 2007.

At that time I was not active user of any forum. The only book I had was Kaplan premier from 2001. and, couple of weeks before exam friend of mine brought me Kaplan800. I thought that should be enough for 700 - 750 score. Fluent in english, have some black spots in math, but, hey I have Kaplan800 - why should I worry. After some 4-5 weeks of preparation I took exam again and bang: 610 (Q42 V31). WHAAAATT? Lower verbal than that in my first attempt. Not should even mention that I was really mad and then I decided to retake and to start some serious learning.

Preparation

First of all, joined Gmatclub and Beatthegmat forums. One of the first things I have noticed on these forums was that words "Kaplan" and "decrease in verbal score" seem to be inseparable. Lurking throughout these forums I gathered the list of literature that should be used and I sticked to that to the last day of my study:

1) OG11 with Q and V reviews. No argue about that, no one can master GMAT without these books.
2) Manhattan GMAT. I used all five quant quides and sentence correction book. As I said, math used to be my weak area, but I managed to increase my score substantiately by using these books. Manhattan SC guide has a legendary reputation and I wouldn't add anything here. Simply, must have. I didn't use their RC and CR guides since I firmly bleive that only thing that should be used for these areas is OG.
3) Various notes and sheets developed by members of this and other forums (Spidy's notes, Prachi SC blog, TOEFL books...),
4) For math I used some old encyclopedias as Larousse and some old formula notes from 1984.(!?). You wouldn't beleive how many usefull stuff I found in these funny looking dusty books of my parents. Also, for math I bought electronic book from 4GMAT company from India. I did that on recomendation of some member of this forum and I loved that book.

OK, what is the point of my funny literature list stated above? Use whatever you want and whatever you can find for Math and for SC. DONT USE anything but OG for RC and CR. For RC you may us some magazines such as Economist, although I didn't, you may even use LSAT readings, but if you use LSAT (probably from 1000RC source) use it just for pracice of speed reading. This is good source to practise reading a passage under 3 minutes since their readings are extremly boring and tedious. However, don't try to answer their questions because their assumptions are much deeper and they often tend to get out of scope.

Another usefull tool was GMATprep. This is by far the most valuable source that one can get free of charge. That recource is a true gold mine, I can only say "GMAC, thank you". Do these as many as you can. This is tool for practice and, although it can be used as a reliable predictor of your test day performance, what is the point of that you realize 3 days before exam that you are going to score 670? Who cares! 3 days before actual exam I don't want to know nothing about my future performance. What can I alter? In the end of the day, you are taking that awfull exam in order to gauge your abilities. Let the real exam care about measuremnt, GMATprep is a preparation tool and should be used for that purpose. And, yes, this is the only CAT besides Powerprep I found usefull. Although I adore MGMAT's guides I realy hate their CAT's. Manhattan CAT's are awfully tedious and can only lead you to the heart attack. The point of the hard math question is that it should be hard because you have problem to ANSWER it under 2 minutes not because yoy cant READ it under 2 minutes! And that is the problem with MGMAT, their questions are so geeky difficult that something like that will never, and i mean never, appear on the real thing.

Test day

The level of actual questions was very similar to those from GMATprep, even for a click less time consuming and maybe I even could say little less difficult. Maybe... Anyway, they are on par with GP - both math and verbal.

On the test day, I did what I do every morning: ate same damn sandwich I eat every day, drank same coffee I drink every day, read same newspapers... Don't bother too much with "carb-hydrates-cereals-caffeine-taurine-Huey-Dewey-and-Louie" stuff! If you drink taurine drinks such as Red Bull regularly (as I do) drink it in the pause. If you don't - drink water or something else you like. Point is: don't make the rocket science of your test day, it's too late for that then. You need a lot of rocket science work before that.

On the test day, go in the test center with all the confidence of this world and destroy the damn thing! Good luck to you all, people! :P
Re: From 610 to 720   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2011, 22:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts from 610 to 690 nitronori41 0 26 Dec 2009, 03:26
New posts Got Destroyed 610 from 600 Warlock007 6 31 Aug 2011, 00:10
New posts 2 From 720 in the last Gmat prep to 610 in the real test prishkam 6 17 Mar 2012, 01:54
New posts 4 From 610 to 710 - Thoughts and Recommendations jklute 6 15 Oct 2012, 13:34
New posts 1 From 480 to 610 gmatwala1212 4 16 Mar 2013, 10:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

From 610 to 720

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Moderator: TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.